Petition against cell phone tower on Brockway Mountain

blizzardmk

Keweenaw county has passed legislation to allow construction of a 220ft cell phone tower on Brockway Mountain. The proposed site is towards the east end of Brockway. It would be very visible from Copper Harbor, from the summit of Brockway, from US41 as you're driving into Copper Harbor, and from the Keweenaw Mountain lodge. If you would like them to explore less obtrusive options, please consider signing the petition.

http://signon.org/sign/big-birds-big-views-not.fb1?source=s.fb&r_by=2088089

indy_500

I would hate to have to look at it, but wouldn't this improve cell reception? I don't get anything up there...

blizzardmk

There is currently no cell phone coverage in Copper Harbor. I agree that cell phone coverage there would be good, but many of us feel that the county should explore alternatives that don't ruin the view.

ezra

view smoo get me my 4g every wear.
btw who owns the mountain? if private property I don't see how any one but the land owner has any say. don't like it buy the land from him .if county owned and you are a county resident who payes county tax then you shoud have some say if not then you have no say.
NIMBY never been a fan

Last edited:
Umm.... Why on Earth would anyone sacrifice safety because of a view? Granted some views are awesome without towers in the way but according to a lot of people there is no cell coverage in that area. Sled crashes and a friend has to ride FAST a few miles just to call for help puts not only the life of the crashed rider in danger it puts the life of the rider who is going to call for help. My goodness why would you sign a petition that subjects people to danger?
Just my $0.02

indy_500

Umm.... Why on Earth would anyone sacrifice safety because of a view? Granted some views are awesome without towers in the way but according to a lot of people there is no cell coverage in that area. Sled crashes and a friend has to ride FAST a few miles just to call for help puts not only the life of the crashed rider in danger it puts the life of the rider who is going to call for help. My goodness why would you sign a petition that subjects people to danger?
Just my $0.02
x2...

Hoosier

How did we ever ride snowmobiles without cell phones? I get the safety aspects but it's still a wilderness sport in some places.

blizzardmk

The point of the petition is to get them to consider alternate locations that would be less visible.

I'm not here to sway anyone, just making people aware. Please sign if you agree. Don't sign if you don't agree.

whitedust

Keweenaw county has passed legislation to allow construction of a 220ft cell phone tower on Brockway Mountain. The proposed site is towards the east end of Brockway. It would be very visible from Copper Harbor, from the summit of Brockway, from US41 as you're driving into Copper Harbor, and from the Keweenaw Mountain lodge. If you would like them to explore less obtrusive options, please consider signing the petition.

http://signon.org/sign/big-birds-big-views-not.fb1?source=s.fb&r_by=2088089

Just my opinion but once you start the merry go round of "anywhere but not in my back yard" it stop progress of any kind. Building towers creates JOBS!!! To me cell towers are like trees just part of the environment. And yes I do think cell phones should ring loud & clear in State or Fed Forests as some greenies think cell phone ringers disturbe their forest enjoyment. Give me a break! Now & future your entire life will be contained by your cell phone & remote areas must keep up or die or people won't visit they have to stay connected for biz reasons. No one in biz going to buy off I could not be reached no cell coverage just not going to fly anymore. Build it & they will come. :)

GTL

There are tower designs that can be hidden or made to look like trees or hidden in steeples. There is always two sides to an issue. They call that co-existing or give and take. Maybe it can be part of the lift at the ski area. It should be somewhere, the cell coverage is terrible.

jr37

Why on Brockway Mtn. There is nothing beyond Copper Harbor. How about on the Cliff Range near Phoenix.

ezra

my Idea of senic Brockway Mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHfeP0lqF9E
I still say land owners right to do what they want! don't like it buy the land at a higher price than cell corp and stay away from land owners rights, unless you want me telling you what you can do with your house and land. HMMM dose not sound so good now I bet.

been 2 yrs from the last time I road to copper but is there not a tower at the top of the hill now?

Last edited:

jr37

Not sure about anyone else but I already get pretty good service in the Phoenix area.

I do too, but it is close to the end of the line on service. If a tower was there, it may reach to Copper Harbor and to Calumet. If it is on Brockway, it reaches Phoenix and water.