Place to unload in Calumet

boomer

We've got a group of 10 of us coming up Feb. 26-March 3. Booked our cabins at Wildlife Refuge Cabins in South Range. Three trucks/trailers in our group. Been keeping a close eye on the current trail conditions and going through Houghton/Hancock looks grim. The extended forecast is looking promising for late next week, but if that forecast doesn't pan out we're considering trailering up to Calumet to drop off.

Is there any good places to unload in the Calumet area? In years past we've dropped off at Vansville, but I've heard that's not an option this year with the new owners remodeling the place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

mezz

You might try the AmericInn on Sixth St. or perhaps the parking lot of the old Shopko which is now a self storage facility just before the AmericInn at the Mine Street Station. That lot is pretty large & the trail out is nearby.

Last edited:

ezra

If use to driving to vansville bar just go a bit further and park at the power station by the radar base . I park there all the time

boomer

Thanks for everyone's replies, I appreciate it. With the recent snowfall it looks like no issues going through Houghton/Hancock on the trails.