Polaris edge 800 tech tips

prowrench

I've owned this sled for 3 years and have never touched the fuel screws. This year I switched to the 02 needles (and 500 mains), and the first trip I rode it, it was knocking in the midrange, but I didn't have the allen wrench with me to raise the needles. So, I just kept it out of that area with a lot of throttle action and fixed it when I got home. That was almost 1000 miles ago, but the damage probably started then I guess. Just one cylinder kind of strange though. Crank seal maybe, this engine was fresh 2000 miles ago when the crank broke. Trying to decide what to do still. Heading back up this weekend with my backup sled, 04 800 prox. This one was fresh last week from a broken exhaust valve disaster. I bought that one with 3500 miles on it and figured it would last one more trip with the alum valves til I got stainless for it, but oh no. This is the kind of luck I have.

rmk4ever

Just would like to add, that the water/oil pump belt on these can be had thru NAPA auto parts # gates powergrip 5mr450-09 for $10.50... polaris wants over $45.00 for there's. The gates unit is thicker, & made with kevlar I think. As anyone knows who have blown this belt your motor is in serious jeopardy. This will happen if your pull cord snaps & recoils in the housing. I have 3 of these motors & 2 other guys have some also & we all use this belt, change it every season though, great $10.00 insurance plan. Oh & check those waterpump bearing's when your in there. & believe it or not the slp pullstart rope will not break & actually makes starting these 800's easier (without the comp release)

indy_500

Just would like to add, that the water/oil pump belt on these can be had thru NAPA auto parts # gates powergrip 5mr450-09 for $10.50... polaris wants over $45.00 for there's. The gates unit is thicker, & made with kevlar I think. As anyone knows who have blown this belt your motor is in serious jeopardy. This will happen if your pull cord snaps & recoils in the housing. I have 3 of these motors & 2 other guys have some also & we all use this belt, change it every season though, great $10.00 insurance plan. Oh & check those waterpump bearing's when your in there. & believe it or not the slp pullstart rope will not break & actually makes starting these 800's easier (without the comp release)

I just got 2 of them a month ago. They look to be made better than the Poo belt!

kraven700

Thanks RMK4ever.
I copied that info and added it to the 1st post

ryanopwoody

I just bought a 2002 Polaris xcsp 800 and was reading over your tips which have really been informative but I have also seen in other threads about these 800's overheating without a rear cooler on them. Did you have one on yours and did you ever have problems with overheating. I am mainly going to use this sled on trails and want something that's dependable. I was going to install a temp gauge to keep an eye on the temps. I just don't want to dump alo of money into something that's going to be a big turd. I know its an old thread but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

kraven700

never added cooler on my 800
i had a 2001 600 that ran a little hot occasionally, but the 800 had no issues in 6,400+ miles ;-)

I just bought a 2002 Polaris xcsp 800 and was reading over your tips which have really been informative but I have also seen in other threads about these 800's overheating without a rear cooler on them. Did you have one on yours and did you ever have problems with overheating. I am mainly going to use this sled on trails and want something that's dependable. I was going to install a temp gauge to keep an eye on the temps. I just don't want to dump alo of money into something that's going to be a big turd. I know its an old thread but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I had a 2001 600 XCSP that would overheat in low snow conditions and on warm days 25+ I added the rear heat exchanger which required different tunnel heat exchanger rails that exited upward apposed towards the rear yours may be different. It required me to cut the tunnel and install the heat exchanger after I made the changes I had no overheating problems. I would recommend adding it if you ride in questionable snow conditions.
If you are in need of a good rear track shock I have one that is in excellent condition for that sled I was going to list on Ebay shortly