Polaris sleds

I am a Skidoo guy so I don’t know much about Polaris. I want to upgrade my son who will turn 15 this winter from a 2003 rev that he has now to something newer with electric start. Most of my shopping has concluded I can buy a newer Polaris with less miles for a better price than a Skidoo. I am look at a few different options, first one is 2015 Indy 600 and the other is a 2011 Switchback 600. Both have between 4000-5000 miles. This is going to be a sled for him to ride for 2 years until I upgrade mine which is a 2017 Renegade x 1200 then I will sell what I buy and he will ride my Skidoo. Give me some insight on these two different Polaris sleds. Thanks

Last edited:

xcr440

The Switchback obviously has the longer track, but both 600's should be similar in power.

The 2015 will have the Pro-R front end on it, updated from the 2011 which will be the IQ chassis. Some thought the Pro-R front was a bit breezy as far as wind protection without the side deflectors. The IQ is a little fatter and I thought provided a little better protection.

Either should suit him fine for a couple years, as long as you do the basic maintenance, chain case oil/adjustment, skid bearings, slides if needed, grease, weight bushings in the primary should be done at that many miles, may need shims if they have started to touch the spider.

srt20

IDK if this thread will turn into a chit show or not, but ^^^^^^this sums it up quickly and nicely. Not much else to add.

Of all the brands I have just never owned a Polaris so I thought I would try one for my son that I could ride also. I hope people give me honest opinions and don’t turn this into a brand bashing they are all good and everyone has their favorite. Unless I find a 2010-12 600 etec in good shape for a decent price.

heitz66

I dont think you can go wrong with an Indy 600 rented one for a few days. Light sled, very quick, and fun to ride. Im 240 lbs and it hauled me around with no problems. I would try to find one with a little less miles, if you plan on selling in a few years.

snobuilder

The Indy would be my choice even if it is more money. I had a 2013 Indy SP and put on 4700 miles on without a problem. The Indy "SP" has the rebuildable shocks, better track and skis. Factory available Wind deflectors work well.

Thanks for the replies. Probably go with the Indy. I wish my son could buy his own but right now he is 14, he does have a job but most places won’t hire you until you are 15. I don’t mind buying him one it gives me another riding partner hopefully for life!

ezra

what indy is it? one had junk shocks and I thought a shorter lug track the SP had a better package . ok not junk but I think non rebuildable and on a 15 with those miles they are junk by now if non rebuildable