Power Valves

dew69

All right JD Family, I need some info.
The past two winters my sled (06 600HO Switch) has loaded up at low speed, taken more than the normal pulls to start. I have cleaned and recleaned the carps, multiple new plugs and tonight I cleaned my valves. Upon doing this, I discovered one of the valves was not as free moving as the other. It took a little pull to get it to drop. After cleaning, it now moves freely. Would a "stiff" valve cause the above problems? The valve looks good and not damaged.

vector08

I do not believe the valve would have anything to do with a hard start. The valve opens when the engine reaches a certain RPM, (about 5 grand.) and if the valves were sticking, you would have no low end power.

dew69

Thanks vector.
Thant's what I thought about the starting, more curious about the loading up at slow speeds. It is a little boggy until I crack the throttle, then it clears up and runs great!

vector08

I have the same thing happen to my 2000 poo 600. it loads up at slow speeds and idle and then once its gets cracked it clears right up! I believe it has something to do with the way a 2-stroke burns oil and fuel.

It sounds like your low speed mixture is off. If just idling I can see it loading up on you, but if you are moving at slow speed it shouldn't do that. If you have done any changes to the settings on the carb I would double check them. It also seems on a warm Polaris I always have to just crack the throttle while pulling to get it to start, dunno why that is.

snoluver1

Sounds like your either fuel rich or oil rich. As stated, check your low speed mixture screws. I would also check the oil pump adjustment and make sure the cable or pump itself is not sticking. Also check the choke plungers (enrichment valves) to see if they are binding in the bore at all. That is a fairly common issue. If all that is good it could be needle and seat leaking a bit. Good luck.

dew69

Thanks snoluver, I'll be added the oil pump on my to do list in the a.m..
Indy, thanks for sticking up for me!

ezra

we don't need to create more problems for the poor guy :)

yeah it sucks to always cross the finish line first on my little kitty btw how them new 600 and 800s working out for ya?almost as good as the ultra ha .just for grins check your reads for cracks or chunks missing from the tips. if you have v force they tend to chip at the tips over time more than stock. that would cause more vacuum in 1 jug than the other and load up on you or they could be sticky and not opining with just the vacuum of pulling the rope.but prob just dirty jets .but since carbs are out to clean and install new jets may as well peek at the reeds.

dew69

Thanks ezra.
Reeds were already checked and were in good shape.
I went to install the valves and on one jug the bolt hole that holds the valve to the cyl. broke! I will be getting a new jug. While there, they are going to go through my sled, so, hopefully something will be found. Kind of frustrating with all this snow!! I told them if nothing else, send me home with a new rmk assult!

wishbone

My son runs a 06 600 switch and it to loaded up and bogged. I changed pilot jets and mains and the sled runs alot better. I can't remember the numbers,and am not near my shop, but if you search on here and HCS polaris site the combonation is mentioned alot.

wishbone

Dew69 I found what put in my son's 600. I went from 420 to 400 on the main jet. From 50 to 40 on the pilots. I did not change the air jet but some go to a .8. I then set the fuel screws at about 1.25 turns out. Needle clip in center slot. After doing this it runs much better.

ezra

better Waite on that new 800 rmk assault to see how they play out not to mention less HP than a 09 700 poo.dont scrap that jug you can ez out that busted stud and re sell to at least recoup some of the cost.and the leaky power valve could be a big part of your issues

indy_500

better Waite on that new 800 rmk assault to see how they play out not to mention less HP than a 09 700 poo.dont scrap that jug you can ez out that busted stud and re sell to at least recoup some of the cost.and the leaky power valve could be a big part of your issues

so the new pro-rmk outriding and outclimbing M8's out west despite having less HP means nothing? :)

ezra

well out riding is the skill of the driver out handling with same rider cant say have only read posts from guys who just dropped 12k or more on a new toy so are always going to be stoked about there toy unless there is serious probs.I will be out west in a few weeks riding with some one who has a new pro so we will see.I have yet to hear any unchallenged chest pounding about out climbing stock to stock or vids.it is a great sled all I am saying is when you buy a first yr sled I dont care what brand especially the early run of a first yr sled you are rolling the dice and with the track record of some manufactures in the recent past those dice are loaded and you may be better of sitting on the side line and watching till at least mid season unless you got piles of disposable income and back up sleds and that pioneer spirit

maj16

As much crap as I gave you Dew...I am truly sorry you weren't able to ride with us yesterday. It always sucks to break down on ride day. Next week we'll get out!

Switchy600

I have the same sled and I had a problem with it loading up at an idle too. Me and my dad looked into it and found that a small change in the jetting would help. I dont recall what changes we made but I know for sure that we leaned it up a little bit. It runs alot better now. As far as the power valves I dont think that is your problem. Ive had my sled for two years now. I bought it used and had to clean it to make it look better.(Personal standard type of thing) I presser washed it and all the normal cleaning processes. When I got the sled out that winter and after a short run looked under the hood just to check things out and found a bunch of rusty water had splashed out of one of the power valves. I thought no big deal and drove the sled the rest of the season as it was. Then in the spring i decided to take the valve apart to clean it and found that on of the springs where rusted right in half. So the valve half the amont or presser on it. The sled ran great the whole year and never missed a beat. So I dont believe that the power valves are your problem, I'd look into rejetting the carbs. Like i said it was a small change but it made a big difference.