Removing exhaust springs

dmsrx

I use one of the long springs that usually holds the pipes down or the silencer on. A stiff door spring would work too. Fold it in two, hook the spring you want to take off with the hooks on the long spring and pull. Super easy.

3_old_jags

I picked up a head light spring puller from Northern Tool for $4.50 to use for this purpose. It worked great. 2 of my friends were watching me put a muffler back on and they went out and each picked up the same tool. It makes spring removal and instillation easy.

sledheadjoe

I read a tip in one of my snowmobile mags last year. They said to take an old flat head screwdriver and use a cutting wheel or dremel to cut a notch in one side of the tip, so you end up with a "hook" like end. I'm not explaining it well but hopefully you get the idea.

I like the shoe lace or bailing wire idea too.

indy_500

I read a tip in one of my snowmobile mags last year. They said to take an old flat head screwdriver and use a cutting wheel or dremel to cut a notch in one side of the tip, so you end up with a "hook" like end. I'm not explaining it well but hopefully you get the idea.

I like the shoe lace or bailing wire idea too.

i tried that, but the handle on the screwdriver slides off. Of course i tried it on a cheaper screwdriver, but while it worked, it worked awesome.

dschultz

I usually just use a pair of needle nose vise grips but have been thinking of buying a spring pulling tool out of kirk sometime. Some of the springs on my xcr 800 are a tough reach and I was thinking that tool would help. For any other pipes I would just go with the visegrips.

rmk4ever

If your close to a menards or home depot there is a tool used for tying rebar & wire mesh it basically is a hook with a swivel on the other end. Think there like $ 3.00 each, I have one that i took out the "swivel" by bending it, & one with the swivel. Been using these since the old tripple - tripple days. Work great.

mjkaliszak

Make a run to Harbor Freight. I still stand behind these " spring things " love them. $6.99 for all 3 , if I remember correctly. If you start modifying a flatblade screwdriver ( good 1 ) grind & quench in water several times during the process. That way as you heat it up , you cool it and hopefully don't loose the temper of steel. It will hold up longer that way. Of course it has to be steel with carbon in it , not a screwdriver that gets it's hardness - toughness from some plating - coating.

polarisrider1

Make a run to Harbor Freight. I still stand behind these " spring things " love them. $6.99 for all 3 , if I remember correctly. If you start modifying a flatblade screwdriver ( good 1 ) grind & quench in water several times during the process. That way as you heat it up , you cool it and hopefully don't loose the temper of steel. It will hold up longer that way. Of course it has to be steel with carbon in it , not a screwdriver that gets it's hardness - toughness from some plating - coating.

Gotta love Harbor Freight. Sometimes the pliers don't fit. I also use a brake spring tool. Shoe lace is a great idea. Kinda a hoop and heave way to do it.

doomsman

Get a cheap large (24 inch) pry bar type screwdriver and notch it.
You can reach down in and still use both hands on it.
You can use it as a lever on those @#*#* bottom
springs. I hate it when this happens.

blood.jpg