Renegade vs Switchback

cobraindy

I know this may open a can of worms but here it goes. I am going to buy another snowmoble next season. I am trying to decide between three sleds, pre 2008 Renagade, xp Renagade, or a 2006 to 2008 Switchback. Reliability, on/off trail performance, 600 or 800. Also has anyone had any experience with the 900 switchback? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bigkevs

I've had an '06 900 Switchback and with a few tweeks and some clutching it was a good sled.
I did however move to an '09 Dragon 800 Switchback and with the updates should prove to be a great performer. If you check out all the blogs on either sled you'll find out everything that could ever seem to be an issue, beat to death with both of these sleds.
I liked the 900 for its topend, it was heavy in the corners, I went to Powder Pros with some carbides and that helped alot.Added a 719 helix and she rocked.
On the 800,the first thing I did was to add some 6" carbides, hand guards and watch for the stumble.It is now at the Dr.'s getting the fix.
Off trail both sleds can get to the deep.This is where operator vs. sled dynamics come to play.Just make sure you have the Renegade there to help dig you out. Have fun, just add snow!

elf

I run an 06 600 switchback. Have 5300 miles on it now and it's been great. Switched it to a 2" track and still haven't changed slides, plugs, or carbides. Did just change the belt for the first time this fall as I was getting it ready for the season.
Off trail performance has been great, no issues. On trail is also very good, with the uncoupled suspension when the trail gets really whooped out it's more of a handful though. Luckily, we don't ride trails alot and when we do, they are usually very good.

90s

I have a 09 600 SB, has a slight push in the corners when driven hard,very responsive motor, good clutching, xcellent storage with the rear bag. mpg 13-15.5. I ride 70% on, 30% off, Very good ride on the trails with the coupled rear suspension. With a RUSH sitting beside the SB in the garage, what do I ride??

S

skylar

I had an 05 Renegade 600 SDI, I ended up putting a 2" track on it. Most of my time is spent off trail, a good friend has an 06 Switcher 600 144. If you spend more time off than on, the 144 switchback is the way to go. My renegade got awesome gas mileage, and it was a great trail sled also. You really can't go wrong with either sled.

snobinge

I would go with whatever brand you are more familiar with as far as servicing. I spend a lot of time on dootalk and am now fairly familiar with the doos. I wouldn't want to have to re-learn everything as it pertains to another oem.
Both are good machines...I oviously am bias to the Doo.

polarisrider1

Love my 05 Switch 600 144. Sorry indy 500 I will never part with it!! started it today. 6000 hard earned miles and 2nd pull. Go with polaris. They are a sure bet for a company that is here to stay!!! Oh Ya! can oh! worms!!!! lol p.s. I have had them both and both are great sleds. Go Red!

t660redrocket

If you do mostly off-trail stay away from the Renegade as they are mostly a trail sled in my opinion. They are really tough to get ski-lift when you need it. Go with the Switchback or go find a Summit 144".

longtrack

My Neighbor bought a 2009 800 Polaris now half of the Cleets are tore off the Track and he told me he has to bring it in for a new Engine (Top half) plus anothes reflash. Something about half of them are blowing up?

My buddy has a 05 600 SDI that blew up also and only had 19,500 miles on it so both have there problems.

renegade600

I've got the '09 Gade 600 etech.<font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font> has been a great sled. Put on alot of miles last season, and used it off trail quite a bit....don't know how it could be just a "trail sled" as a poster noted above. Only stuck it good twice, and hit (1) tree. The front pops up just fine for me, possibly my riding style?
By far the best sled I have owned in a long time.

t660redrocket

Certainly didn't mean any disrespect to the gade but when you ride a summit and a gade in a side by side comparison the summit requires much less effort off-trail. If most of the riding is to be done off-trail it is a hands down choice for the summit. Don't get me wrong, the gade is a great machine and satisfies many styles of riding. It just doesn't perfect off-trail and in my opinion is an AWESOME trail sled. Pray for snow!

renegade600

I didn't take the comment as any dis-respect. I would agree the Summit would be better as a full off trail sled. I found the Renegade to be a fully capable crossover. I do have to admit that I have not ridden a Switchback, but have run a Crossfire.....
Any of these sleds are a good crossover IMO...all being just a little different.

We will see how good a Renegade off trail is this winter. The Wife and I and son have a trip to the Yellowstone area in Feb. and have (3) Renegades rented for (3) days.....looking fwd. to the trip....and SNOW.
Tom

marty__kms

Old Rev and new XP chassis completely different feel and sled, XP chassis is by far the hands down winner, however it still takes a good long time to “figure out” handling vs. older more traditional style chassis in the deep. As stated, hands down winner for off trail between Summit and standard Renegade is the Summit. Same way the Renegade is the better for occasional trail excursions. I personally ride both models as my main ride; Summit is like cheating in the bush compared to the standard Gade (w/1.75 paddle and Mtn skis). For 2010 a better “crossover” choice is the Backcountry version of the Renegade model. Couldn’t decide between the Summit X or Backcountry X for 2010 so I went with one of each, will sell one in February depending on the outcome.

Longtrack,

By the way only 19,500 on the 05’ SDI, bummer, my ridding partner got a little over 24,000 before his let go. Like you said, they all have their issues.

R

red_dog

If you've got enough coin consider a new 'gade with the etech, they totally RIP! RMK with shorter track might be nice too. Switchbacks up to '07 with the 144 and uncoupled rear suspension are lots of fun too on and off the trail and being a few years old easier on the savings account. Newer Switchbacks are more of a trail setup and shorter track.

Yes they all have their issues. The three '04 Renegades in my group were in the the 3-5K range when lost compression and needed rings. The'03 Summit is on the third rebuild now after 4K. Sounds like '05 'gade and up is better. The '07 Switcher has alot of stickers on the airbox for factory redo's and makes ice cubes rather nicely.