Reserving a Lightening tonight.

heckler56

Earlier this year I started a thread on EVs. I stand by the comments raised. The video highlights some issues against the agenda to make people adopt these.
4 months into my EV ownership, yes, my electric costs are cheaper than if I purchased gas. However, my Michigan utility just announced rate increases coming June 1st. When there is more demand on electricity does anyone think the price will go down?
All the banter about how to get road dollars out of EVs is a joke. The solution should be simple, pay a tax on charging per Kwh. The people that drive have to recharge. People driving instate and from out of state need to recharge here. Hiking registration fees and gps monitoring does not really address usage like recharging. My home charger is “tied” to my utility. They see exactly what I am using I cannot undo that. Could I charge with a common houseplug, sure, just don’t plan to drive for 3 days.
For me living in the country it is not ideal. I drive into town going down hills and use the regenerative braking and it charges the batteries. Going home uphill will tap my predictive miles remaining by 1/3.
It is true over in Europe they are forcing the conversion over to EV. I read volumes of information from there both good and bad. Like most things being justified to the public it is covering up those mining practices mentioned in the video or that a EVs carbon footprint is 65% compared to a ICE vehicle 35% at manufacturing. EVs only can surpass a ICE if you use a solar charging. The video briefly mentioned the blades on the windmills. Currently in the US we have two places those retired blades are buried for the next generations to deal with. The plastic and fiberglass materials have a limited useful life but will last for well over 1k years.
One other notable issue is our electric grid. In Europe most power lines are underground. No problems like the Houston freeze or California fires to knock out service.
A scientist I worked with in the early 90’s would curse about how we beat up autos as polluting yet they represented less than 3% of all pollution. The highest contributors were manufacturing and off road vehicles.
Grub, I support you in going this path as it seems you are going in with your eyes open and realize it will be like having a 10 gallon tank of fuel (or a Nitro 7 gallon tank). For us I decided to try it while the subsidies are around. Can I drive at a moments notice to Chicago and back in a day, only after 5 one hour stops to recharge. That is about 4 1/2 more hours than in a ICE vehicle.
EVs are great for urban areas but not so much for rural.

heckler56

I forgot about something unexpected. My EV has a sound machine piping a spaceship sound to alert pedestrians. I thought I read somewhere where Tesla will start allowing users to create their “noise”. I doubt the germans will give me that option but I am thinking Braap, thoughts?

buddah2

Another point that no one has addressed as yet...exactly what do you do when the batteries have exhausted their useful lives? I.e., batteries, given current technologies available, only have the ability to be recharged a finite number of times. Have you checked the cost to replace the battery or battery pack? The numbers I have seen in other studies are staggering, and not in a good way...

heckler56 makes 1 excellent point, living rural as we do I probably have a much more biased outlook on these "things" than those of you that are more "citified"...a typical "grocery run" for me is just over 100 miles...if I had any other things to do would I really want to spend hours recharging somewhere, even IF it was available?

G

G

19 reserved at my local Ford dealership as of right now. Keep in mind it gets really cold here and we are out in the middle of nowhere. People are doing it anyway.

euphoric1

19 reserved at my local Ford dealership as of right now. Keep in mind it gets really cold here and we are out in the middle of nowhere. People are doing it anyway.

I thought I had heard somewhere that when the temp drops below 10 degrees the available distance on an EV drops significantly, like to a quarter of what its capable at a good ambient temp.

G

G

I would bet that most of the reservations here are with people that will also keep running an ICE vehicle or two or three. Like I plan to do. At this time with limited range and charging options this is really the only way to proceed. If I were only going to have one vehicle electric would not really be an option. But it is early in the game and batteries and charging options will both improve to the point that there will be no need at all for ICE vehicles. My local Ford dealer and myself and 4 other guys are going to build a charging station with either 6 or 8 bays. Hopefully we will be able to charge all makes and brands with some kind of a universal connection. Our local power company already has a program for it. As far as what to do when the battery wears out I would think that that would mean it is time to trade and let someone else worry about it. Just like people do now when the transmission in your pickup starts slipping. No big deal.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I had heard somewhere that when the temp drops below 10 degrees the available distance on an EV drops significantly, like to a quarter of what its capable at a good ambient temp.

You are correct. That is why they come with battery heaters and coolers.

heckler56

In colder temps my range was depleted quicker since your heat and battery heaters are all electric. I was told to “condition” the car 10 minutes before I planned to leave a store (my garage is heated).

Batteries are starting to evolve to plug and play style cells. If one goes bad plug a new one in (well a dealer)

Contrary to logic, manufactures are expecting less range as Americans buy into being able to charge and the hope charging will actually go quicker. They expect less range and shorter charge times as they try to lighten the vehicles by putting in less battery capacity. I believe Tesla sells two different models, shorter range and longer range. Kind of like candy bars, they just get smaller for the same price.

One thing I also had to consider is power outages in my area that are common. I have automatic backup generator. Although it is a large 22kw model, I have to dial back my recharging incase the genny kicks on. It would handle the charger but not the well, septic pump, AC all at one time.

Living in the country having second vehicle that is ICE is a must.

SledTL

There are less and less reasons to shun electrics.

I enjoy going onto the facebook posts and seeing all the guys hootin an hollerin about gimme a V8 this, etc. Did everyone lose their panties when when EFI came out? I sure as heck won't go back to carbs on my sled. Its transitioning from the early adopter phase to the mainstream phase. Join in or get left behind eventually. I love gas powered stuff as much as the next guy, but to sit here and say that oil has no subsidies, drilling has no effects is crazy. Learn your first law of thermodynamics, electric is just a more efficient use of the energy.

old abe

I enjoy going onto the facebook posts and seeing all the guys hootin an hollerin about gimme a V8 this, etc. Did everyone lose their panties when when EFI came out? I sure as heck won't go back to carbs on my sled. Its transitioning from the early adopter phase to the mainstream phase. Join in or get left behind eventually. I love gas powered stuff as much as the next guy, but to sit here and say that oil has no subsidies, drilling has no effects is crazy. Learn your first law of thermodynamics, electric is just a more efficient use of the energy.

Spot on you are! Electric drive is EFFICIENT!

1fujifilm

Come on guys. Its frnash for cryin out loud. Sheeessshhh You came on here to brag about your virtue signal purchase of an Evehicle. Is that all you gots to do??? Oh and I hope delivery works out for you. Still waiting on my 2 door Bronco I ordered in November.....

I thought this was Right Wing website, E-vehicles..Hmmm?
All kidding aside, I just bought my first diesel..very interesting time for me.
25 MPG daily in a half ton GMC diesel.

One observation, the 3.0 Diesel doesn't tarnish the chrome exhaust tips like the gas engines do..what gives?

Bear

Last edited:

heckler56

I just bought my first diesel..very interesting time for me.

One observation, the 3.0 Diesel doesn't tarnish the chrome exhaust tips like the gas engines do..what gives?

Bear

I am a huge diesel fan. Unfortunately here in the US our diesel is at best a cetane of 40. In Europe they use 80ish on up. Their diesels produce significantly less pollutants than their gas vehicles and their mileage increase is also significant. But our press and politicians hate diesels. Because of our fuel quality issues, I always ran a fuel treatment like Lucas in every tank, 20 years never an engine issue.

old abe

I am a huge diesel fan. Unfortunately here in the US our diesel is at best a cetane of 40. In Europe they use 80ish on up. Their diesels produce significantly less pollutants than their gas vehicles and their mileage increase is also significant. But our press and politicians hate diesels. Because of our fuel quality issues, I always ran a fuel treatment like Lucas in every tank, 20 years never an engine issue.

I have no idea where you are buying your diesel fuel, but I would highly recommend finding a better source than the one supplying 40 cetane rated diesel fuel! I haven't heard of any diesel fuel being offered at that level cetane in many, many years? The lowest cetane in our area is around 44/45. I buy premium grade diesel fuel, for on road/off road, use that has 48, or better cetane content. It sounds to me that your are dealing with fuel that has fell way out of spec, due to being stored way too long, and without a stabilizing additive agent? At any rate, much better diesel fuel is readily available, for on road, or off road! Where did you come up with the European diesel fuel being 80 cetane? There is no such diesel fuel anywhere! European #1 diesel fuel is the same as our, the USA, Premium Diesel fuel, 48/50 cetane. Pretty much all over the world.

Last edited:

old abe

All kidding aside, I just bought my first diesel..very interesting time for me.

Bear

Say fuji, with all your wheeling and dealing, on toys, hot rods, and trucks, how does the added cost off your diesel engine at purchase, and the added cost of diesel vs gas, pencil out for you? I'm curious as a very good friend of mine also purchased a GMC 3.0 Duramax diesel pickup. He has had it long enough to say that his does not workout economicly to any savings when all costs are considered? Please, when able give your economic outcome. I am well aware of your being in the loop on that kind of owner costs.

whitedust

Nobody is arguing that...my strenuous objection to the whole thing is the battery technology and support infrastructure does not yet exist in any substantial way...

This is a HUGE issue range and lack of charging infrastructure becomes the ole chicken or egg? Just like new technology in sleds many here don’t want to be first. Let electric technology mature prove itself and then we all get on board. For me I need to see the infrastructure heck dealers don’t have techs that know anything about electric never mind the charging infrastructure. It will be very interesting to see how all this evolves but electric vehicle performance was never an issue in my mind. Imo conversion to electric will be a gradual evolution any other way would be a disaster for the economy and hardships for the public. Just let it happen naturally and develop like any market driven product.

latner

This is a HUGE issue range and lack of charging infrastructure becomes the ole chicken or egg? Just like new technology in sleds many here don’t want to be first. Let electric technology mature prove itself and then we all get on board. For me I need to see the infrastructure heck dealers don’t have techs that know anything about electric never mind the charging infrastructure. It will be very interesting to see how all this evolves but electric vehicle performance was never an issue in my mind. Imo conversion to electric will be a gradual evolution any other way would be a disaster for the economy and hardships for the public. Just let it happen naturally and develop like any market driven product.

X2. Instead of ramming it down everyone's throat, let the market decide. For me personally, electric won't work for what I need it to do.

frnash

This didn't get much traction over on the "Whitmer Eats Crow" thread, so one more time:

Battery tech, evolution and and range?
Wait for it, it's coming …

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1LljlYJU1gY" title="YouTube video player" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="785" height="442" frameborder="0"></iframe>

See also (click →) From NDB: "The self-charging green Nano Diamond Battery
that changes the world …".
By 2040?

whitedust

This didn't get much traction over on the "Whitmer Eats Crow" thread, so one more time:

Battery tech, evolution and and range?
Wait for it, it's coming …

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1LljlYJU1gY" title="YouTube video player" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen="" width="785" height="442" frameborder="0"></iframe>

See also (click →) From NDB: "The self-charging green Nano Diamond Battery
that changes the world …".
By 2040?
Frank I responded to you and this is very interesting but it’s a unicorn now. Lots of economic problems with this product in this day and age. When it’s mainstream let me know but I’ll probably be pushing up daisies. Lol

frnash

Frank I responded to you and this is very interesting but it’s a unicorn now. Lots of economic problems with this product in this day and age. When it’s mainstream let me know but I’ll probably be pushing up daisies. Lol
Pete, I agree, it certainly is an interesting concept, not quite as wildly fanciful as the thought of space flight in the time of The Wright brothers first controlled, sustained flight of a powered, heavier-than-air aircraft with the Wright Flyer on December 17, 1903.

Astronaut Alan B. Shepard made the first U.S. piloted spaceflight in the Mercury Freedom 7 spacecraft on May 5, 1961. A mere 57 years, 4 months, 19 days (20959 days) after that first Wright flight.

Hey, we gots plenty of nuclear waste that's currently not doing anything useful for us, and is a growing hazard as well.

Pushing up daisies? Surely me as well. Born 60 years too soon? Naw, it's been a great ride so far and I'm not sure I'd have wanted to trade it for a "later ticket" if I could have.

But hey, as the saying goes, "Watch this space."

Last edited: