Reserving a Lightening tonight.

jonesin

I never in my life thought that i would say this, but i am interested in them....
I drive 80 mile round trip to work, well within the range and rarely go more than 100 miles from home unless on vacation
Im planning to get newer vehicle in next 5 years anyway.......

old abe

I think everyone should take 5 minutes and watch this video. I am glad people get excited about electric vehicles but to think that you are helping the environment or saving the planet is laugable....

Perhaps? Follow the money? Some of this is very interesting, and some is very misleading at best. Doesn't take much to understand perhaps who's interests are behind this, eh? I'm one who sides with having multiple, and many forms of energy available. It always come down to the $$$$$$, eh! Solar, and wind are exploding in my neck of the woods, big time. Not because of fiction, falsehoods, or fallacies, it's just the reality, $$$$$$$$.

slimcake

Perhaps? Follow the money? Some of this is very interesting, and some is very misleading at best. Doesn't take much to understand perhaps who's interests are behind this, eh? I'm one who sides with having multiple, and many forms of energy available. It always come down to the $$$$$$, eh! Solar, and wind are exploding in my neck of the woods, big time. Not because of fiction, falsehoods, or fallacies, it's just the reality, $$$$$$$$.

Did you even watch the video? You don't think that batteries, solar panels and wind turbines have a short life span? Solar and wind would not exist if not for the govt subsidizing it. Fact. I have farmers putting up solar array's because by the time they get the tax credit and REAP grants it like a 2-5 year payback on the system. Take that away and what would you have? I was gonna put a 20 kw solar ground mount in my bottom lot. Don't qualify for the grants so just the tax credit. 24 years before that system pays for itself. Not worth it. That was at 2 bucks a watt to install. Which is cheap.

IMHO49953

Random thoughts:
Too bad "they" have not yet figured out how electric vehicles will pay to support road tax currently collected through fuel purchases.
Maybe "they" will require you to be GPS tracked at all times so "they" can know how many miles you drive and what State(s) you are driving in (so each State can get a road tax allotment). Oh yeah, "they" will know where your vehicle has been and when, so one more chip off your privacy.

As to the possibility of banning cars off of roads older than 20 years, the landfill / recycling effort will be interesting.

Meanwhile, maybe I will crowd-source a start-up for an EV Roadside Assistance service that can recharge EV batteries when there is a need during a major grid power outage.

And then there is the local fire department issue of (although perhaps a rare event) how to extinguish a vehicle fire when an EV vehicle battery is involved.

Know the threats before you attack an electric vehicle fire
Search domain usfa.fema.govhttps://www.usfa.fema.gov/training/coffee_break/061819.html
Electric vehicle fires can exceed 5,000 F. Applying water or foam may cause a violent flare-up as the water molecules separate into explosive hydrogen and oxygen gases. There are several common risks for first responders associated with electric vehicle fires: Electrical shock (up to 400 volts). Extremely high temperatures and thermal runaway.

old abe

Did you even watch the video? You don't think that batteries, solar panels and wind turbines have a short life span? Solar and wind would not exist if not for the govt subsidizing it. Fact. I have farmers putting up solar array's because by the time they get the tax credit and REAP grants it like a 2-5 year payback on the system. Take that away and what would you have? I was gonna put a 20 kw solar ground mount in my bottom lot. Don't qualify for the grants so just the tax credit. 24 years before that system pays for itself. Not worth it. That was at 2 bucks a watt to install. Which is cheap.

Yes I did slimcake. I stand with my post. Subsidizing, eh? Check out all of the REAL FACTS on how all energy, is subsidized, in one way or another, or for that matter many. Some monopolized. Fact remains, solar, and wind are exploding down here. Whether people like it or not, it's happening. Becoming more, and more efficient very, very rapidly. I live where we have some of the best crop producing farm land in the US. Our County board members are struggling with how to keep from losing more prime crop ground everyday from going to solar, and wind. No need to even consider any of the subsidies/$$$. Not needed. Many farmers who I know are jumping on wind, and solar, home residence, and commercial. It sure appears it is working out well, at the rapid expansion that is happening. Even now with the best crop prices we have seen in many years. Perhaps they know well from experience, these level of crop prices don't last long, eh? Then throw in the now high prices of crop input costs, and how ssssslowly they tend to come back down to real profitability! I'm sure you know the game.

old abe

50 percent of electricity in this country is produced by coal and or fossil fuels

Overall coal usage is decreasing rapidly. Just ask the miners, eh? NG for Electricity Generation is exploding daily. Costs relating to transporting coal from the mines, to the point of use, has killed it. This as it is the highest overall cost involved, period! I live close to the BN, and UP RR's. Two of the nations largest coal carriers. The coal trains have by far greatly decreased from being very, very, many in the years past! Sad, but so it is. I am one who thinks we need MANY sources of ENERGY!

G

G

I don't care at all where the power comes from to charge my batteries. Coal, Nat Gas, Wood, Nukes. I don't care. It doesn't matter. I am a long ways from a greenie. That is not why I am going to try it. If anybody wants to talk about subsidies realize that energy has been subsidized for years. As have many things. I am doing this because it pencils out to be cheaper. It works for me because I will keep an ICE vehicle around for when I need it. And I would bet it would pencil out for many of you also if you would take the time to work it out. And that is why it is going to take off. It is going to be cheaper. Is the government forcing electrics on us? Of course they are. Why have so many companies wordwide jumped in with both feet? Because it is going to happen. Batteries and charging systems are advancing daily. Somebody is going to figure out a million mile battery. It is just a matter of time. So you can either buck it or go with the flow. Just an FYI. A full size 4X4 crew cab electric pickup for the low 30s after tax rebates is A GOOD DEAL.

Hoosier

Overall coal usage is decreasing rapidly. Just ask the miners, eh? NG for Electricity Generation is exploding daily. Costs relating to transporting coal from the mines, to the point of use, has killed it. This as it is the highest overall cost involved, period! I live close to the BN, and UP RR's. Two of the nations largest coal carriers. The coal trains have by far greatly decreased from being very, very, many in the years past! Sad, but so it is. I am one who thinks we need MANY sources of ENERGY!

Agree we need MANY sources of energy. Coal is decreasing rapidly here, but not in China where a good amount of our goods come from.

old abe

Agree we need MANY sources of energy. Coal is decreasing rapidly here, but not in China where a good amount of our goods come from.

Spot on you are Hoosier. Their coal use has greatly contributed to their dirty air so much they now buy USA Ethanol to try and decrease their transportation emissions. I'm old enough to remember the Cuyahogia river being on fire at night. That was a big start to the US cleaning up our air and water pollutants. China is a real big time disaster!

old abe

I don't care at all where the power comes from to charge my batteries. Coal, Nat Gas, Wood, Nukes. I don't care. It doesn't matter. I am a long ways from a greenie. That is not why I am going to try it. If anybody wants to talk about subsidies realize that energy has been subsidized for years. As have many things. I am doing this because it pencils out to be cheaper. It works for me because I will keep an ICE vehicle around for when I need it. And I would bet it would pencil out for many of you also if you would take the time to work it out. And that is why it is going to take off. It is going to be cheaper. Is the government forcing electrics on us? Of course they are. Why have so many companies wordwide jumped in with both feet? Because it is going to happen. Batteries and charging systems are advancing daily. Somebody is going to figure out a million mile battery. It is just a matter of time. So you can either buck it or go with the flow. Just an FYI. A full size 4X4 crew cab electric pickup for the low 30s after tax rebates is A GOOD DEAL.

Absolutely totally agree with ALL of that post grub! Stated perfectly! Those who wish to buck it, would be wise to get tothe real facts, eh!

xcr440

There recently was a push for some sort of tax that Pete Budegiege (sp?) from the current admin had proposed, and it didn't take long for that to disappear. I'm sure they don't want to put some sort of added cost to operating/driving an EV on the roads at this time. But clearly, they know the current crop of EV's are NOT paying their share of road usage taxes, because most of that money comes out of the gas tax EV's obviously don't pay. So for now, and for who knows how long, that is one of the savings if an EV works for you.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing for certain in all of this is this. When the government needs to find a revenue stream from the owners of EV's, they'll do it. Take a look at a cable bill and notice all the fees, taxes, etc. Things that aren't even related to entertainment are being funded. Most likely our mileage will be recorded and billed accordingly. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the cost of recharging. If you need to charge up say in Superior to get back home, there's going to be a charge for the charge, no pun intended. We'll be dumping gasoline but we'll still be paying for energy.

G

G

It has been mentioned. In rough numbers it costs about 1/3 the price of gas if you fill on the road. Those figures are from about 5 years of Tesla supercharger stats. Did you think it was going to be free? So you fill your vehicle for 1/3 the cost of gas. Your maintenance on your EV is 1/3 the cost of a gas vehicle. And as of last night's Ford reveal your original purchase price could actually be less than a comparable ICE vehicle. There are less and less reasons to shun electrics.

eagle1

I'll be starting a mobile charging service.......most peeps can't even keep their phones charged.
Be cars littered all over the roads with dead batteries. Lol

G

G

I'll be starting a mobile charging service.......most peeps can't even keep their phones charged.
Be cars littered all over the roads with dead batteries. Lol

Do you see a lot of Teslas littered all over the roads with dead batteries? If you truly want to get in on the ground floor of charging services googe CHARGEPOINT. They will be everywhere.