Rhinelander area (and Langlade Co and Forest Co)

Anyone have any updates on the Rhinelander area? Heading to Clear Lake Inn for an annual trip this Wednesday. Last week sounded bleak. Wondering if the little bit of new snow may have helped? Also, I did ride Langlade and Forest Co last Saturday. Any worries about no snow for slide lube was just a hoax in that area. Plenty. And they got more snow Sunday. First 3rd of the trip from Antigo and NW was excellent. Then headed from Pelican Lake to Argonne. Could've have done without that portion. Stutter bumps all the way. Traffic was pretty bad too. Surprisingly, the railroad grade back to Lily was better than expected for a Saturday night. 161 miles total.

Attak man

Anyone have any updates on the Rhinelander area? Heading to Clear Lake Inn for an annual trip this Wednesday. Last week sounded bleak. Wondering if the little bit of new snow may have helped? Also, I did ride Langlade and Forest Co last Saturday. Any worries about no snow for slide lube was just a hoax in that area. Plenty. And they got more snow Sunday. First 3rd of the trip from Antigo and NW was excellent. Then headed from Pelican Lake to Argonne. Could've have done without that portion. Stutter bumps all the way. Traffic was pretty bad too. Surprisingly, the railroad grade back to Lily was better than expected for a Saturday night. 161 miles total.

HOAX?? When you say last saturday which date Feb 1st or the 8th?

HOAX?? When you say last saturday which date Feb 1st or the 8th?
8th and I'm talking in the Langlade and Forest Co area in that part of my post in respect to concerns for overheating, not the Rhinelander area. Please reread my post or maybe I needed to clarify that part. I am looking for a Rhinelander update and was giving a Langlade/Forest update. BTW, appreciate all of your posts. Nice to get realtime updates from someone that actually lives in an area. :encouragement:

Attak man

8th and I'm talking in the Langlade and Forest Co area in that part of my post in respect to concerns for overheating, not the Rhinelander area. Please reread my post or maybe I needed to clarify that part. I am looking for a Rhinelander update and was giving a Langlade/Forest update. BTW, appreciate all of your posts. Nice to get realtime updates from someone that actually lives in an area. :encouragement:

Just had a group come through from Rhinelander this morning...They said it was complete "GARBAGE" ...trails bombed out, lakes very rough (it was the same for us last monday)...haven't had very good luck with Hodag Trails this year..people have said they are good, but when Ive been through there this year they've sucked....as far as over heating/dry snow...that has improved with fresh snow...although not much north of Highway 8 (1-2 inches)...the heavier snow went south.

Thanks AM. Disappointing news for sure. I know trying to navigate around Rhinelander itself has always been an issue no matter how much snow. Do you have any suggestions on which way to head then? If you're not familiar with Clear lake (where we will be staying), it's basically 2 miles east of Rhinelander. Again, appreciate your input.

zr600

I was up there last weekend- Rhinelander/Three Lakes/Sugar camp/Eagle River. Trails were not bad at all. Roads sucked.
With the snow sunday should make it a bit better- but it was cold so snow was fluffy and not packing

Attak man

Thanks AM. Disappointing news for sure. I know trying to navigate around Rhinelander itself has always been an issue no matter how much snow. Do you have any suggestions on which way to head then? If you're not familiar with Clear lake (where we will be staying), it's basically 2 miles east of Rhinelander. Again, appreciate your input.

I'd run east on 17 away from Rhinelander, and jump on the 8 trail (if I remember correctly it winds around Monico)...Head towards Crandon (then run north into forest county)....that route always seems to run the smoothest for us....we also like to take like to take the 15/17 trail south through the oneida school forest, and hit the Railrode grade, and head east towards Elcho, or go west to the Harrison Hills, and into Tomahawk...from there you can loop back to rhinelander several different ways (North from Tomahawk has many different spurs)..from Harshaw...you might be able to avoid boom lake by heading through newbold, and over to sugar camp, and then heading south (I haven't been that direction yet this year)

ZR600...Three Lakes and Sugar Camp trails are usually decent even when the hodag trails are junk....Eagle River, and Rhinelqander did not get much snow from this last system (heavier snow went south)

Heading east and south from Rhinelander or Tomahawk should be really good by the weekend..as they have more fresh snow...I usually don't send people that direction, but I believe there will be less traffic, and better trails if you head towards merrill, antigo, or medford. (south from Ogema...looked great)..Eagle River, and Minocqua just didn't get much out of this last system, and their trails were beaten to sugar snow.

I was up there last weekend- Rhinelander/Three Lakes/Sugar camp/Eagle River. Trails were not bad at all. Roads sucked.
With the snow sunday should make it a bit better- but it was cold so snow was fluffy and not packing
That's encouraging. Thanks.

I'd run east on 17 away from Rhinelander, and jump on the 8 trail (if I remember correctly it winds around Monico)...Head towards Crandon (then run north into forest county)....that route always seems to run the smoothest for us....we also like to take like to take the 15/17 trail south through the oneida school forest, and hit the Railrode grade, and head east towards Elcho, or go west to the Harrison Hills, and into Tomahawk...from there you can loop back to rhinelander several different ways (North from Tomahawk has many different spurs)..from Harshaw...you might be able to avoid boom lake by heading through newbold, and over to sugar camp, and then heading south (I haven't been that direction yet this year)

ZR600...Three Lakes and Sugar Camp trails are usually decent even when the hodag trails are junk....Eagle River, and Rhinelqander did not get much snow from this last system (heavier snow went south)

Heading east and south from Rhinelander or Tomahawk should be really good by the weekend..as they have more fresh snow...I usually don't send people that direction, but I believe there will be less traffic, and better trails if you head towards merrill, antigo, or medford. (south from Ogema...looked great)..Eagle River, and Minocqua just didn't get much out of this last system, and their trails were beaten to sugar snow.

Awesome input! Sounds like there should be some good options. Unusual that South got more snow this time, but not far (Langlade, Forest Co, etc) apparently got a decent amount (upon already good conditions.) Looking forward to the trip.

I rode the Rhinelander trails yesterday (North and east side) and everything was excellent. Fresh groom Saturday night and we got about 2 and a half inches of fluffy snow to keep the sleds cool. We usually stay away from the trail that goes west past the airport (heading west out of Rhinelander) as that area is usually not very good. From clear lake I would head east and then north through Starks and into the 3 lakes trails. That area has been excellent all year. Also heading south down to Harrison is a great ride, just not as many stops that way. Beautiful area to ride though.

jwmcatman

I rode the Rhinelander trails yesterday (North and east side) and everything was excellent. Fresh groom Saturday night and we got about 2 and a half inches of fluffy snow to keep the sleds cool. We usually stay away from the trail that goes west past the airport (heading west out of Rhinelander) as that area is usually not very good. From clear lake I would head east and then north through Starks and into the 3 lakes trails. That area has been excellent all year. Also heading south down to Harrison is a great ride, just not as many stops that way. Beautiful area to ride though.

I will be up for two weeks this Saturday. All good ride suggestions, heading south towards pelican lake, elcho, summit, and then east from there has some spectacular under used trails towards Crandon and south and east of there. west toward tomahawk is always good as others have stated. I am hoping for a bit of snow here and there.

vipermike2002

I will be up at Steve and Tom's Friday morning staying till Monday. You will find the best riding south (when they have snow). That is at least where the locals ride. Rhinelander has plenty of snow, and it will be cold so riding should be great this morning. Hodag club has a meeting and club rides Saturday morning so my guess is they are going out for some extra grooming before the weekend. I have been going up there every few weeks since mid December riding.

I will be up at Steve and Tom's Friday morning staying till Monday. You will find the best riding south (when they have snow). That is at least where the locals ride. Rhinelander has plenty of snow, and it will be cold so riding should be great this morning. Hodag club has a meeting and club rides Saturday morning so my guess is they are going out for some extra grooming before the weekend. I have been going up there every few weeks since mid December riding.
VM, awesome. Maybe see you up the hill. Had a great supper there last night. We had great riding yesterday. Did a small loop over to pelican lake and then over to Birchwood. Actually, some of the best conditions we've had since coming to the area. Only going a short distance today due to temperature. Currently, at Pine Harbor. Couple of freshly groomed trails so far. Only issue has been a heated shield malfunction. Not pleasant in these temps. Lol

Heading up tomorrow after work and staying on the west side of Rhinelander for the weekend. Fingers crossed for good trails

Conditions were still good today again. Snow was hard in the morning of course, but only sled temp concerns were while riding in town on roads (and very briefly. ) Went over to Tomahawk today and had a good lunch at the Tilted Loon. Even the bear skin was fine this afternoon. Made other stops at The Woodpecker and Jailhouse Saloon. Seemed like the groomer had been out again close to the cabin, as the last leg of the trip was really smooth. Probably patronize our hosts for dinner tonight. Friday fish fry at Beachcombers.

vipermike2002

Conditions were still good today again. Snow was hard in the morning of course, but only sled temp concerns were while riding in town on roads (and very briefly. ) Went over to Tomahawk today and had a good lunch at the Tilted Loon. Even the bear skin was fine this afternoon. Made other stops at The Woodpecker and Jailhouse Saloon. Seemed like the groomer had been out again close to the cabin, as the last leg of the trip was really smooth. Probably patronize our hosts for dinner tonight. Friday fish fry at Beachcombers.

I didn't ride at all yesterday. Had some business to take care of in Minocqua then had a early dinner at Little Bohemia. Will be riding with the Hodag club today and ride as long as the girl can take on her old Venture tomorrow. Trails looked smooth from the road but did looks snirty north of Lake Tomahawk. Alot of traffic out. Don't tell everyone they have the best fish fry around LOL.

vipermike2002

Saturday issues with the girlfriends sled. Didnt make the club ride with the Hodags. Still wanted to enjoy the trails and the day. Girlfriend rode my Apex and I took out my 340 Enticer. Rode south to the wayside then continued south on the Shinglemill trail to enterprise. Although it does not run on Shinglemill anymore. Ran into the pretty good moguls maybe 5 miles south of 8. Riding a 40 year old sled and all we turned around. Headed down to Pelican Lake to Dawn's Lakeside. Headed back north and took the Melvern trail to starks. Decided to ride to Three Lakes for Dinner. After dinner make to Rhinelander through Sugar Camp. Trails were great except that section in Enterprise. About 120 miles

Sunday. We were fortunate to have a rental available locally. Indy 600. Went up to Iron River via Sugar Camp and Three Lakes. After lunch took trail 2 west to watersmeet and they 3 south to Land O Lakes. Sections of trails were rough in Land O Lakes and Canover but the rest of the ride home through Eagle River, Three Lakes and Sugar Camp was great. 220 miles. Not a bad days ride and her first time riding in the UP. Trails were perfect around Iron River.

Rhinelander trails were surprising good the entire weekend. Better than a few weeks ago that's first sure.

My Saturday was a 50 mile round trip to Backwaters and back. Saturdays are usually iffy, especially by the end of the day. So, due to other obligations and anticipating rougher trails, I decided to make it shorter trip that day. The others in the group headed over to Hazelhust and didn't have an enjoyable trip back. They ran into some rough trails.
Overall, the trip was better conditions than usual. Seems the grooming was good and so were the routes we took. Booked again for next year already. Wish there was more time for a return trip yet this season, but oh well.

vipermike2002

My Saturday was a 50 mile round trip to Backwaters and back. Saturdays are usually iffy, especially by the end of the day. So, due to other obligations and anticipating rougher trails, I decided to make it shorter trip that day. The others in the group headed over to Hazelhust and didn't have an enjoyable trip back. They ran into some rough trails.
Overall, the trip was better conditions than usual. Seems the grooming was good and so were the routes we took. Booked again for next year already. Wish there was more time for a return trip yet this season, but oh well.

I have been meaning to try Backwaters. Just sucks you have to either go over the Wisconsin River River bridge and navigate around the hotels on the west side of town or go across boom lake. I usually ride the long way through Sugar Camp to get over there. I would honestly stay away from the Minocqua area. The best trails from Rhinelander are south and east IMO. You really have to head to areas that are not destinations for snowmobiles. I was happy with the Hodag grooming but not sure if they were out extra because they had a club ride Saturday. I was riding RHI late March last year I hope to-do the same again. These warm ups are NOT helping though. Hopefully the forecast is wrong for this weekend.

jwmcatman

140 miles today. All spectacular. North to sugar camp stop at Moondance, gas three lakes, south to starks , down to pelican lake, up to birchwood bar Perfect conditions. Back at it in am. Then ice fishing afternoon