Ride Light

Tuck

I was not a fan of the bite harder lights until I watched a couple go from Fish tales to Root cellar a few years ago. We could see the helmet light long after the tail light vanished and could tell when they got off the ice and went up the little hill to the Root. Our group has some different colors as well, it makes identifying who is who within the group easier at night. The biggest reason got one is for the wife to have a better visual on where I am when she is following.

latner

I use one of these with the bike helmet, Brake Free, and decided to try it with the sled this year. I was concerned with battery performance with below 0 temps, turns out this will run all day using maybe half a charge. Wife loved the visibility and knowing when I was braking or slowing down when the tail light was hard to see.

600_RMK_144

I use one of these with the bike helmet, Brake Free, and decided to try it with the sled this year. I was concerned with battery performance with below 0 temps, turns out this will run all day using maybe half a charge. Wife loved the visibility and knowing when I was braking or slowing down when the tail light was hard to see.
I saw these on FB and figured they were junk (as most things being sold thru FB. LOL!). Are these actually decent? Bright and the braking function works as expected? I like the Biteharder other than yet another thing to plug in. Between tether and other crap, it takes 10 minutes just to get everything hooked up. I like the Brake Free idea given that it's battery powered and no cords. If... it's bright enough and actually works.

Tim in Indiana

Our group is using the bite harder helmet led lights, 2nd season with them. We have blue, green and red lights in our group. During the daylight hours is where they really are a benefit, because they are higher/brighter they can be seen easier than a taillight can. In snow dust is where they perform the best, can't say enough good things about them in that scenario. One guy in our group has an 02 helmet and we tease him all the time that his helmet light is like an Amish buggy light in comparison...lol.
That is exactly what I have been seeing, in blue. Thanks.

latner

I saw these on FB and figured they were junk (as most things being sold thru FB. LOL!). Are these actually decent? Bright and the braking function works as expected? I like the Biteharder other than yet another thing to plug in. Between tether and other crap, it takes 10 minutes just to get everything hooked up. I like the Brake Free idea given that it's battery powered and no cords. If... it's bright enough and actually works.
It's a well made product and functions like they claim, also bright. I've used it for a year now so long term battery/led life is yet to be determined.

picbn

Our group is using the bite harder helmet led lights, 2nd season with them. We have blue, green and red lights in our group. During the daylight hours is where they really are a benefit, because they are higher/brighter they can be seen easier than a taillight can. In snow dust is where they perform the best, can't say enough good things about them in that scenario. One guy in our group has an 02 helmet and we tease him all the time that his helmet light is like an Amish buggy light in comparison...lol.
I added the bite harder led light to my helmet this year as well. I usually lead and buddies behind have always complained that they can't see me when there's a lot of snow dust. The helmet light is super bright and runs off same cord as electric visor. Mine is red but comes in 6 different colors.

lofsfire

The Ride light, I always thought it would do better if integrated with the sled better. Not just an addon unless part of the hand guard. There was two company's that made similar products at one point. One was the ride light as talked about. Another was a small led number board that went right above the head light on the late 90's sleds (bigger windshields then) it would light up with the rider number order. So the first rider would display how many sled behind him the last would display a 0 just like the hand signals. I believe you had to set the number and then it was locked in. I think there was talk that future models you'd be able to linked and change numbers if riders change positions automatically. I don't remember it receiving any real tracktion... Also I believe both were from out east and had a bigger following out that way... Ride Light had the right Idea with their signs but probably need to give out more free one's to the clubs for at trail heads. Or run ads on every trail map so it look like it was something you should have on your sled. Not just an add on option.

I've always looked at hand signals as a courtesy. This is the way I've taught my kids to ride too. If you can safely give a signal great if not I've already given a signal so your first focus is always driving you sled safely everything else is second.

This past weekend, my son and I, came to one single rider moving at a good pace holding up 3 fingers. Never saw #2 by the next few turns I was waiting to see someone just flying to catch up but they never came. Came up on another group, not in a hurry, all tight together. The guy I passed a ways back did not seem to fit with this group... Next turn I came to had a spot to pull over (this is almost 2 miles from where I past the single rider.) There are to women sitting waiting, you could tell they were looking/ waiting for someone. I decided to pull up and gave the sled description and ask if they needed help. Sure enough they had lost 2 riders the lead and the tail. I had past the lead rider. I started asking questions about where they came from and where that planned on going etc. Also about the 2nd missing ride. Rider 1 finally got a clue and turned back and was showing up. I know this area very well and advise them of 3 option they had to get back to their starting point. They endup just going back as a group the way they came. My son and I took off shortly after but I decide to take the route I thought someone could easily mistake as the trail. Sure enough I found the other missing rider with another group and all of them trying to get his sled started... I pulled up made sure who he was and he was pissed saying how they left him... We were in sight distance of where they started. Eventual the other three showed up and all was good.

The two ladies thanked me for stopping, as they did not really know where to go or how to get back. So having that heads up of the group size is nice in my opinion you never know it it will benefit you or possible help someone.

As far as the groomer warning system that was a feature on the Collet Communicators. Groomers were given beacons that they would hook up and broadcast a beeping signal to all Collet Communicators in range. It worked, but only worked on the main channel. There was a max of 2 channels and the club channel was only free two those that bought 10 or more units. We had enough guys to order them with a club channel. Last year I switched to UCLEAR and I love them! Before that I had run across groomers still broad cassting groomer beacon warning system.