Rollover I-75 Southbound Gaylord Exit

sxrron

no doubt in my mind a 3/4 pulls better, however I did purchase a 1/2 ton for a list of reasons and have found that changing tires to a heavier load rating so I can increase the air pressure for towing which takes a lot of the wagging away and I also added a leaf spring to the rear end. I will still get some movement but no where what it used to. Oh and this will be my last 1/2 ton truck just cant beat the 3/4 and up pulling comfort.
What tires do you like as I am in the market for new tires for my 1500.

dfattack

They are also worthless to work out of. Typical toolboxes on the front or side of the bed can not be used. The height of the bed for loading and unloading is a PIA. Everyone in the trades complain's about them, Some of the half tons are not much better either, then the metal is so thin you end up messing up the bedsides when you get things in and out.

Good point. Wonder who’s making these decisions to make trucks that are more and more difficult to work out of and use?

lofsfire

So I bought my trailer used, the guy before me was towing with a Class C RV. With that he was using a weight distribution hitch. He included that as part of the deal and I have used it anytime I'm pulling the trailer. Obviously if the trailer is light then I do not need it. I also don't use it on local driving. Also, with most weight distribution hitches they have the bars which require a wider spread to the tongue of the trailer. The system I'm running it the Anderson WD Hitch. It uses chaines and tension. It also helps with sway control and I can feel the difference on the highway.

Truck 2013 RAM 1500 5.7L Crew Cab with Airlift 1000 added to the springs and Cooper Discovery Load Rated E Tires
I should note I only put 15LBS of air in the airbags only enough to help the RAM rear coil springs. Also, I have the 8 speed trany with the 3.20 rear end. (Yeah I know, I had a lot of back and fourth when ordering the truck and had a different rear end ordered but RAM changed the order on me and did not tell me. I found a sticker on the rear end a week later. Complained to the dealer and they said It was an issue with the build combinations I picked. At that time you could not get the 8 speed with the rear end I wanted. They knew I wanted the 8 speed trany.)
Trailer 2014 RnR PSD7.522 (7.5'W x 22' box+ 5' V) Total is 29' ish feet ball to tail. Empty it weights 3000#

Here is the link:

For the most part I'm happy but a bigger truck for towing is always better. but being my daily driver too, it's give and take on some things.
(Wish I could say it always looks this nice but I just repainted it and put new chains on)
WD.jpg

truck.jpg

Last edited:

Go Fast or Go Home

The original poster asked if anyone had details on the accident.

This thread immediately went to what truck should be hauling what trailer.

How on God's Green Earth did this thread go off the rails.

Don~

lofsfire

The original poster asked if anyone had details on the accident.

This thread immediately went to what truck should be hauling what trailer.

How on God's Green Earth did this thread go off the rails.

Don~
Well it seemed that no one had any details.
Yep, so I just went with it. I figure there was more interest in the hualing side of the story.

Hahaha good point! I’m guilty
I'm guilty too, but it was my original post. So if it helps someone out so they don't end up like the picture I'm good with it. That was definingly a bad day for those guys. Which could have been much worse. Even if they had the sleds tied down and they made it through all that, I would bet there was a bag or tools or something not tied down. So there is probably still damage...

wisco-mb

How many guys on here have rolled trailers?
I did about 4 years ago. Pretty crazy story too.
I purchased my first ever, brand new sled in Feb of '17. That was a shit year, and most trails were done by then. It was 60F in Feb when I bought it.
Dec of '17 was also terrible. 2nd weekend of January, finally took off for Mercer for a day trip. Temps were below zero for 2 weeks prior to that, but had warmed up just a little bit the day before. Mercer from my house is 199 miles. At mile marker 197, I was taking the corner by Lazy Ace Saloon. All of sudden I hit black ice, and it threw the truck and trailer into the ditch. It happened in a matter of less than a second! Hit a snowbank so hard it knocked my serpentine belt off. Trailer flipped on it's side. Gut wrenching feeling. Luckily no injuries between myself and my wife. Pride was hurt pretty bad though.
Called a tow truck from Mercer. Tow truck driver said they had been pulling cars, trucks, and trailers out all week from that stretch.... Real nice.... You couldn't have placed sand down, or put a sign out?
They got the trailer flipped over. Due to the serpentine belt, they also had to tow my truck. The guy let me use his garage quick to get the belt back on. Got the trailer attached back to the truck. Luckily the trailer was still driveable and just had some minor marks on the side. It was a 20 year steel deckover, and had some wear marks already though.
My brand new sled had a broken windshield, and bent ski. My other sled had some side panels scratched up. I called a couple places to see if I could buy a ski. Out of stock.. So, I had to turn back around and drive home. Still with 0 miles on my brand sled! I ended up using the trailer for another couple years before we had to retire due to rust.

I truly believe God gently rolled that trailer over, bent the one ski over, to prevent me from riding that day. You cannot make this story up in a movie..., but somehow happened to me. I was back up 2 weeks after that riding. And I never look at Lazy Ace corner the same when going past!

Attachments

• Resized952018010695092145.jpg
    Resized952018010695092145.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 36

lofsfire

wisco-mb sorry to hear you had to deal with that. Sounds like overall you were lucky. So did you have your sleds tied down? If so how? Ratchet straps or tie down bars?

With all my years on the fire department I've seen a few accidents. One was a horse trailer upside down in a ditch. The horse was pretty beat up but luckily made it out okay.

uperjim

lofsfire---Thanks for posting your earlier post with all the technical scoop on towing. I don't tow the big trailers that you guys do but I am an automotive engineer who spent allot of time in the industry and I am amazed at how many people tow RV's and long trailers without the load equalizing hitches. Or without having any knowledge about how to adjust them! It would be nice to know what the vehicle had in the original picture/accident. I think there would be many more accidents if the RV towers encountered the same road conditions that snowmobilers do. I have seen many a trailer wagging the dog in dry summer conditions that would have been catastrophic in the winter.

chords

What would be the total fully loaded , guesstimate towing weight of a inline trailer as lotsfire posted ?

Hoosier

So I bought my trailer used, the guy before me was towing with a Class C RV. With that he was using a weight distribution hitch. He included that as part of the deal and I have used it anytime I'm pulling the trailer. Obviously if the trailer is light then I do not need it. I also don't use it on local driving. Also, with most weight distribution hitches they have the bars which require a wider spread to the tongue of the trailer. The system I'm running it the Anderson WD Hitch. It uses chaines and tension. It also helps with sway control and I can feel the difference on the highway.

Truck 2013 RAM 1500 5.7L Crew Cab with Airlift 1000 added to the springs and Cooper Discovery Load Rated E Tires
I should note I only put 15LBS of air in the airbags only enough to help the RAM rear coil springs. Also, I have the 8 speed trany with the 3.20 rear end. (Yeah I know, I had a lot of back and fourth when ordering the truck and had a different rear end ordered but RAM changed the order on me and did not tell me. I found a sticker on the rear end a week later. Complained to the dealer and they said It was an issue with the build combinations I picked. At that time you could not get the 8 speed with the rear end I wanted. They knew I wanted the 8 speed trany.)
Trailer 2014 RnR PSD7.522 (7.5'W x 22' box+ 5' V) Total is 29' ish feet ball to tail. Empty it weights 3000#

Here is the link:

For the most part I'm happy but a bigger truck for towing is always better. but being my daily driver too, it's give and take on some things.
(Wish I could say it always looks this nice but I just repainted it and put new chains on)
View attachment 67161
Interesting. I'm going to look into one of these for our set up, especially since I'm hoping to buy a truck sometime before next season.

old abe

lofsfire---Thanks for posting your earlier post with all the technical scoop on towing. I don't tow the big trailers that you guys do but I am an automotive engineer who spent allot of time in the industry and I am amazed at how many people tow RV's and long trailers without the load equalizing hitches. Or without having any knowledge about how to adjust them! It would be nice to know what the vehicle had in the original picture/accident. I think there would be many more accidents if the RV towers encountered the same road conditions that snowmobilers do. I have seen many a trailer wagging the dog in dry summer conditions that would have been catastrophic in the winter.
The properly equipped, set up, towing vehicle is so very important.

russholio

Wasn't a fan of the Coopers that came with my 2500 diesel, either (bought used). Traction seemed poor just in rain. Went to Goodyear Silent Armor. They were good, and wore like iron, but were harsh riding. Next went to General Grabbers and had no complaints. Next truck was a 3500 SRW (used) that came with BF Goodrich. They were good, but noisy. Back to the Grabbers, which I'm still on, and still no complaints.

I'm willing to try different things, but I don't see myself giving Cooper a shot again.

lofsfire

Sorry I've been dealing with three family members in the hospital. (Not COVID) the worst is my uncle, that is in the ICU due to open heart surgery. Yesterday he opened his eyes for the first time since the 13th. So things a finally look better but he still has a ways to go.

As said above the trailer weight is 3000lbs empty
Full - Here is the rundown for me -
(I really need to get to a scale and just spend a few hours weighing it with different sleds and load positions. I know what feels the best but I admit that my not be correct.

From what I found on the net and rough estimates:

2015 ZR9000 ~ 700 lbs - In backwards at front of V
1998 Jag 340 ~ 600 lbs (most likely less but rather assume high.) Center of the trailer
2016 ZR5000 ~ 700 lbs At the back of the trailer

Over all the way it works out I try to balance the weight and center the majority on the axles.

That puts me at about 5000lbs lets say another 300lbs of "stuff" on the trailer (again most likely high) that puts me at 5300lbs

Truck GVWR is 6800lbs with (1258 max combined Occupant & Cargo weight is then 1258) So the way I tow I'm looking being right at my max weight. So if I put a 4th sled I would most likely be over. Maybe this summer I have some real numbers...

Has anyone went through the scales? Would they get pissed if I re-weight a few times. Obviously, I would have to go somewhere not busy. I have a scale a work wonder if they would let me weigh. I don't need it certified, it would be nice to have a real starting point for everything...

Coopers have been about the same as my Goodyears. And I'm not a Firestone fan. Had a set years ago that just did not last... and the wear was even so it was not like I was tearing them up.

lofsfire

Uperjim: I have a buddy with a Yukon XL and he has a huge 36' bunkhouse trailer. He refuses to drive on the interstates unless he absolutely has to in the summertime. He pulls on the state roads and yes he has his set up with a standard weight distribution hitch. For him it's a side to side tail wagging when getting passed by a semi.

Interesting. I'm going to look into one of these for our set up, especially since I'm hoping to buy a truck sometime before next season.
Hoosier If I remember correct your out of the Indy area. If you come up to Northwest Indiana I'd be willing to show you my setup in person. There are a couple RV dealers down there in the Indy area that sell the Anderson hitches. Either way if you want more pictures or something let me know. If you look at mine where it's mounted to the trailer there's a 1 in thick plate of aluminum that's been welded onto the trailer and then tapped to allow the chain tensioners supports to be bolted directly to the frame.

goofy600

lofsfire, I did the weigh the trailer thing years ago, just went to a non busy truck stop and ran it across there scale can’t remember but charged me for each time I went across scale but it wasn’t much maybe $2-5 per weigh.

wiscrev

In may area, we have to haul big stuff to the dump [washers/dryers/ etc]. They charge by weight. You'll have a loaded and empty weight.