Should Michigan offer a daily trail permit?

Should Michigan offer a daily trail permit?

• Keep it the way it is

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Offer a daily or weekend pass

Votes: 56 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

uncle_ed

There has been alot of discussion about Michigan offering daily or weekend passes for trail permits. Just wondering what the consensus was and how much should they be.

old abe

Man this will be very interesting. I don't know how you can do this without depressing the total revenue that is very much needed. 10 dollars for 3 days will not cut it IMO. I very well understand that the people don't like to spend the current price for just a few days.

snipes517

No, think of how much money would be spent trying to enforce this? would it really be worth it, i dont think so.

Hoosier

I would price it at $20 for 2 or 3 days. If you are riding more than 3 days the annual one isn't a bad deal. Even if you are riding just one day, $20 really isn't that big of a deal. Make it a different color than the annual passes. If you get one and you go by a check station, you can expect to get slowed down so they can check the dates on it. It wouldn't add any enforcement costs and I bet would bring in more revenue in total. Plus it's always better for the MSA to have a higher # of passes sold when they are trying to get something passed.

Anything less than $20 isn't worth all the costs for processing.

garyl62

Not that I want to jump too far into this annual debate, but I'm wondering how many of the people who vote to change it do not currently come to Michigan solely due to the cost of the trail pass and would they come if the cost was $35 for a 2-3 day pass? In other words is it worth $35 to ride in MI, but not $48?

I believe if you want to ride some of the best trails around you have to pay for it just like golfing, skiing, and so many other things. If you want to pay $25 to ride, come to Illinois and you'll realize the MI pass is a deal even if its only for one weekend a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I would price it at $20 for 2 or 3 days. If you are riding more than 3 days the annual one isn't a bad deal. Even if you are riding just one day, $20 really isn't that big of a deal. Make it a different color than the annual passes. If you get one and you go by a check station, you can expect to get slowed down so they can check the dates on it. It wouldn't add any enforcement costs and I bet would bring in more revenue in total. Plus it's always better for the MSA to have a higher # of passes sold when they are trying to get something passed.

Anything less than $20 isn't worth all the costs for processing.

I would think it needs to be at least $30 for 3 days so if you come more than one weekend a year an annual is cheaper.

Last edited:

brad460

$10k+ for a new sled and the biggest concern is a $45 trail pass? Look at it this way- that $45 goes towards trail maintenance for all snowmobilers throughout the whole season...I dont mind spending the money so all can benefit as opposed to simply paying a reduced amount to cover myself for a weekend.

lak7

In addition to the Permit, I would like to see Michigan have an optional donation "account", to be used solely for snowmobiling.
I would be curious to see how much additional money there would be.

sweeperguy

In addition to the Permit, I would like to see Michigan have an optional donation "account", to be used solely for snowmobiling.
I would be curious to see how much additional money there would be.

MSA has actually been sending out fundraising requests to members. Got one a few weeks ago. Came with the return address labels that alot of donation request (fundraising) places have included in their mailings. They've got elves and santas on them

Last edited:

RHFD547

I only get north once, maybe twice a year and only ride in Wisconsin. I would spend $15.00 for a daily permit as would my 3 other riding partners. That is $45.00 in additional revenue that Michigan is otherwise not going to get. Enforcement is easy, make the daily permits a different color than the annual permits with the date imprinted on it or handwritten much like a daily boat permit offered by many lakes. I know this topic is brought up every year, much like the oil thread, so it appears there is a wide interest in it. My opinion is for Michigan to try it at least 1-2 years and see if there is a substantial amount of revenue generated.

Hoosier

Not that I want to jump too far into this annual debate, but I'm wondering how many of the people who vote to change it do not currently come to Michigan solely due to the cost of the trail pass and would they come if the cost was $35 for a 2-3 day pass? In other words is it worth $35 to ride in MI, but not $48?

I believe if you want to ride some of the best trails around you have to pay for it just like golfing, skiing, and so many other things. If you want to pay $25 to ride, come to Illinois and you'll realize the MI pass is a deal even if its only for one weekend a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think it needs to be at least $30 for 3 days so if you come more than one weekend a year an annual is cheaper.

Yeah, that's a good point,

- - - Updated - - -

I only get north once, maybe twice a year and only ride in Wisconsin. I would spend $15.00 for a daily permit as would my 3 other riding partners. That is $45.00 in additional revenue that Michigan is otherwise not going to get. Enforcement is easy, make the daily permits a different color than the annual permits with the date imprinted on it or handwritten much like a daily boat permit offered by many lakes. I know this topic is brought up every year, much like the oil thread, so it appears there is a wide interest in it. My opinion is for Michigan to try it at least 1-2 years and see if there is a substantial amount of revenue generated.

Two years ago we did the same thing. Was riding in Northern Wisconsin with a group of sledders on older sleds that don't get out much. We normally would have hopped over the go up to Gogebic for lunch at least one of the days but stayed back rather than dropping that much on the permit. That is lost revenue. I don't have an issue buying the annual permit for a weekend but I know some do.

uncle_ed

Years ago trail permit fees used to be very reasonably priced and it didnt make sense to offer a daily permit but as fees rise....(and I foresee a spike in the next year or 2) it makes more sense to make that change in our permit structure. I think it would promote more tourism from out of staters and michigan casual riders. When we raise permit fees the next time I think it would be a good time to enact such a plan. Enforcement would be on the honor system until you get caught of coarse but that is the way it works now isnt it?

RHFD547

Hoosier that is my point exactly. If I get up a second time, its with the family on 3 sleds and another $144.00 if I would choose to purchase an annual pass. We are with another family on 4 sleds ($192.00) and all ride in the Mercer/Hurley areas. All of us would gladly spend $15.00 for daily permits. 7 sleds x $15=$105.00 additional revenue on our group alone plus the prior $45.00 on my first trip=$150.00. Now lets consider the additional income to the establishments that we may stop at to have lunch or a beverage or 2. I always purchase raffle tickets from the various clubs that have tickets for sale at our stops along with a trail map if in a new area. To many times with discussions such as this, too much focus is placed on what year sled a person rides, what their truck and trailer cost, and what gear they choose to wear, and not looking at the overall big picture.

russholio

I agree with it in principle, but I, like others, am not sure that $10 would be enough. As far as enforcement goes, I don't think it would be that big of a deal. It seemed to work in Ontario (and don't other states have temporary permits?) so why couldn't it work here? No need to reinvent the wheel -- see what other states/provinces are doing and model after them.

wolfriver

Then why not reciprocity for sleds ? I can drive my car and my boat into another state and as long as my registration is up tp date I'm legal.

machzdoo

$10k+ for a new sled and the biggest concern is a $45 trail pass? Look at it this way- that $45 goes towards trail maintenance for all snowmobilers throughout the whole season...I dont mind spending the money so all can benefit as opposed to simply paying a reduced amount to cover myself for a weekend.
Not every one on this site spends $10k on a new sled. How come every time money is brought up on this site everyone has a 10k sled and a 50k truck.

Last edited:

brad460

Not every one on this site spends $10k on a new sled. How come every time money is brought up on this site everyone has a 10k sled and a 50k truck.

How come "money" is brought up? Because this thread is about people complaining about spending $45 to go riding in the U.P....
No, not everyone has a $10k sled, but if you're traveling up to the U.P. to go riding you are not riding a 1984 Phazer.

Sounds like some people need to find a new hobby..

whitedust

How come "money" is brought up? Because this thread is about people complaining about spending $45 to go riding in the U.P....
No, not everyone has a $10k sled, but if you're traveling up to the U.P. to go riding you are not riding a 1984 Phazer.

Sounds like some people need to find a new hobby..

Hmm not sure were you are riding in UP but older Phazer would do very well in some of the tight twistys I ride in the interior. I see all types of old iron enjoying UP trails granted not the best on grades but I try and avoid those anyway. Yes a 3 day pass min for $30 would help riders cross back & forth for a weekend WI & UP. Back in the day I had buds pay $25 for a few hours in UP. At $48 no way.

JimAndros

Then why not reciprocity for sleds ? I can drive my car and my boat into another state and as long as my registration is up tp date I'm legal.

Because there is Federal gas tax on every gallon of gas sold that is reimbursed to the states for road work and Federal tax on some fishing gear distributed to the states for specific purposes.

Not many of us enjoy paying taxes. It seems like everything carries some sort of tax these days and the very idea that a user tax is buried in the price of our fishing tackle can be upsetting. However, this is one situation where you can be sure where your tax money is going and what it's being used for. Each fiscal year, the monies collected under the SportFishing Excise Tax (Wallop-Breaux Tax) are distributed among the Fish and Wildlife Departments of all 50 states. The amount each state receives is based on a variety of criteria, including respective state fishing license sales and ratio of land to water. Only a small percentage (about 6%) of the total tax is withheld for admninstrative purposes. The next time you see your Fish and Game department improving a boat ramp, stocking a lake or river, conducting a fishery survey, etc., you'll have a good idea where the funding for these programs come from. For many, it is the primary source of their total funding

There are no federal tax dollars distributed to the states for snowmobile trail purposes.