Should Michigan offer a daily trail permit?

Should Michigan offer a daily trail permit?

• Keep it the way it is

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • Offer a daily or weekend pass

Votes: 56 68.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wyelde

For those of us that are out of state, We have choices. Wisconsin has 25000 miles of maintained trails, Minnesota has 22000 miles of maintained trails, so we have moreriding available than we can do in a year in our own states. Getting trail permits for multiple states is not necessary, but sometimes you have to chase the snow, or want to go with a group. I am in favor of a 3 day pass, it's not a matter of cost for me, but value. I live in Minnesota, we have great trails here, but I do like going to new and different areas, In the past, I have purchased Michigan OR Wisconsin passes and have focused on the trails in that state for that year. A temporary pass would provide more flexibility without feeling like we paid too much for just a couple days of riding. I don't want to have to buy a cow to get a glass of milk. Other states have these, not only for snowmobiling, but for 4 wheelers, bicycles, etc. This is something everybody should get behind. It supports the local economy. I would guess that the average local spend for gas, meals, lodging, etc for a 3 day trip is easily between $500-$1000, so encouraging snowmobilers to come to the area with a discounted pass is far more beneficial than a bloated inefficient government annual pass program where only a portion of the funds even make it back to support the trails.

machzdoo

How come "money" is brought up? Because this thread is about people complaining about spending $45 to go riding in the U.P....
No, not everyone has a $10k sled, but if you're traveling up to the U.P. to go riding you are not riding a 1984 Phazer.

Sounds like some people need to find a new hobby..
I should find a new hobby because YOU spend more money than me !! All hail the King of Oconomowoc Sir brad460

brad460

I should find a new hobby because YOU spend more money than me !! All hail the King of Oconomowoc Sir brad460

This doesnt even make sense..lol..

Let me explain a different way for you: Hobbies are expensive and to complain about the expense of a hobby sounds ridiculous to me! If you can't afford a trail pass that supports all snowmobilers/trails in Michigan you should maybe consider a cheaper hobby.

Hoosier

Let me explain a different way for you: Hobbies are expensive and to complain about the expense of a hobby sounds ridiculous to me! If you can't afford a trail pass that supports all snowmobilers/trails in Michigan you should maybe consider a cheaper hobby.

Or just choose to stay on one side of the border or the other, which is what quite a few people do now that the passes are creeping up.

brad460

Or just choose to stay on one side of the border or the other, which is what quite a few people do now that the passes are creeping up.

For sure this is unfortunate. Based on the number of snowmobilers I see during the weekends in the U.P. it seems plenty are coming across the border.

Is there data to show less traffic in MI as trail passes increase in cost?

shelby369

Its funny reading all this talk about $10 or $45 etc, etc,etc..........bottom line is anyone who enjoys the sport of snowmobiling knows their burning hundred dollar bills by the hour in this sport with no return......you can not be in this sport if you want to make financial sense and justify your cost. This sport is about making memories and great friends...... that's the way I look at it.... if I was a normal sane person, sledding would be the last thing i'd ever do if money was the deciding factor..... worse than owning a boat.

upbarleyboy

How about a reciprocity pass between Michigan/Wisconsin? Obviously only needed if you are riding in both states. I know alot of people who avoid Michigan completely. We usually base out of the Hurley area so this is usually brought up with our group every year. Is the pass worth a day or two of crossing the border?? Often times conditions will dictate which way we lean and I love riding in both states. I'm guessing people would be more willing to pay $60-$65 for a multi state pass rather than $30 for a Wisconsin pass and $47 for a Michigan pass. The consumer gets a little break ($60-$65 rather than $77 buying them separately). I know it isn't a ton of savings, but people will perceive it as such. The revenue generated with the multi-state pass could be split 50/50 between states and would be available for purchase in both states. Just my .02:).

Hoosier

For sure this is unfortunate. Based on the number of snowmobilers I see during the weekends in the U.P. it seems plenty are coming across the border.

Is there data to show less traffic in MI as trail passes increase in cost?

Trail pass sales seem to be going down every year, so there's that. Maybe the sleds are still in the UP but not elsewhere.

Or maybe too many of the $15K sled and $50K truck owners don't want to pony up! Too many are willing to spend $65,000 but not $65,048.

old abe

Trail pass sales seem to be going down every year, so there's that. Maybe the sleds are still in the UP but not elsewhere.

Or maybe too many of the $15K sled and $50K truck owners don't want to pony up! Too many are willing to spend $65,000 but not $65,048.
Hoosier; I feel for you. They will jump on you for that one!!! Better walk backwards!!!

Hoosier

Hoosier; I feel for you. They will jump on you for that one!!! Better walk backwards!!!

No I'm done with it. If I get up to MI this year, I'll buy the permit. Not the issue for me. The group I go up with after Christmas to ride a few days some years though will stay in Wisconsin due to the $45. Where we ride out of when up that way is in Wisconsin but close to the UP.

garyl62

I just realized that as an IL resident without a sled registered in WI, or a member of a WI club I'd have to pay a $50 permit fee to ride in WI this year. I guess it would be cheaper to go to Michigan and just ride on that side of the state line. Now before someone jumps on me for not being a club member, I'm a member of 2 clubs in MI, and I'm just poking the bear a little with this..... but why not a push for a daily or weekend pass for WI?

machzdoo

I did not say I could not afford a trail pass I have bought a trail pass every year since 2002 but if you read the responses a lot of people have bigger families and some people would only come to the UP a day or two a year. And SOME people can not afford the full $48 and would maybe like to use the trails one weekend a year and might have a 94 Phazer. It is NOT up to you to tell anybody to get a different hobby.

chords

Bless all you big spenders that throw Thou$ands and Thou$ands into tow trucks , trailers, gear . and every gadget known to mankind.
Hotel meals, drinks. The rest of us ride on the cheap.... a place to stay, crock pot and pre made dinners. I'll post pics of $ 200 5 day trips riding used sleds.
So $48 represents a large %

old abe

I just realized that as an IL resident without a sled registered in WI, or a member of a WI club I'd have to pay a $50 permit fee to ride in WI this year. I guess it would be cheaper to go to Michigan and just ride on that side of the state line. Now before someone jumps on me for not being a club member, I'm a member of 2 clubs in MI, and I'm just poking the bear a little with this..... but why not a push for a daily or weekend pass for WI?
Spot on garyl62. I wondered how long it would take to bring up the costs for out of state riders in Wisconsin. And away we go!

whitedust

I thought this was a MI trail permit poll. Run a poll for WI prolly get simular results but WI does offer options that MI does not.

machzdoo

I think gary162 and old abe are both right . In Wi. when I buy a state park sticker every one I buy after that is a reduced price. the state parks also sell single day passes. In my opinion and this is just my opinion all the states should offer a single day trail pass.

brad460

Its funny reading all this talk about $10 or $45 etc, etc,etc..........bottom line is anyone who enjoys the sport of snowmobiling knows their burning hundred dollar bills by the hour in this sport with no return......you can not be in this sport if you want to make financial sense and justify your cost. This sport is about making memories and great friends...... that's the way I look at it.... if I was a normal sane person, sledding would be the last thing i'd ever do if money was the deciding factor..... worse than owning a boat.

Our wakeboard boat was costing us $250 for every hour we used it when figuring in gas, payments, storage, insurance, lack of ROI from the downpayment. Instead of complaining we sold the boat because I eventually decided that hobby wasnt worth the cost... I guess that is my point on paying for a trail pass..And as much as I would like to buy a 600ETEC I save myself $4k and buy a MXZ600 Sport because I understand and accept all the costs related with snowmobiling. When I can no longer accept the cost I will change hobbies..

groomerdriver

Bless all you big spenders that throw Thou$ands and Thou$ands into tow trucks , trailers, gear . and every gadget known to mankind.
Hotel meals, drinks. The rest of us ride on the cheap.... a place to stay, crock pot and pre made dinners. I'll post pics of $ 200 5 day trips riding used sleds.
So $48 represents a large %

I'm with you chords. Just because I enjoy the hobby doesn't mean I can't chose where and how I spend my hard earned money on it. Unlike some of us on this board who have lots of disposable income, I don't and don't rip me because I won't pay $48 for something if I don't have to.

machzdoo

I'm with you chords. Just because I enjoy the hobby doesn't mean I can't chose where and how I spend my hard earned money on it. Unlike some of us on this board who have lots of disposable income, I don't and don't rip me because I won't pay $48 for something if I don't have to.

That is my point groomerdriver. Maybe people like you might buy a day pass if one was available. You do not have to be rich to enjoy our sport, If so our sport is dead. It can be done on a budget. Enough said my trip starts Thursday . It looks like I wont have to cancel this year. Everybody have a safe and fun season.