Skyview Lodge closed??

IOWASLEDDER

I had heard the Skyview Lodge in Presque Isle, WI has closed permanently?? Temporarily?? Anyone have any info on this?? That's a bad deal if that's the case. Stayed and ate there many many times over the years.

kraven700

I saw that as well

That's sad as we stayed at SKYVIEW numerous times over the years, even back into the late 90's early 2000's when that Polaris Sno-Cross racer Adam Johnson owned it

Remember when the pics were on the website with him doing the Evel Knievel style jump in Skyview's parking lot on a ramp built entirely out of snow??

I hope someone re-opens it, but didn't see any info that it was listed for sale

Ditto for Carlin Lodge located nearby, also showing "permanently closed"

rph130

Skyview struggled over the last winter with new owners and closed in spring. It went up for sale late summer. They are asking more than a million for it, which IMO is insane. Sad because before we owned up there, we would always stay there starting back in the 80s when Adam Johnsons mom owned it. Adam sold it I'm guessing about ten or so years ago and at that time I believe it went for mid $300s. Through some of the locals I'm hearing that there is interest in purchasing it and re-opening it when the owners put a realistic price tag on it. Doubt it will happen this snowmobile season.

IOWASLEDDER

I saw that as well

That's sad as we stayed at SKYVIEW numerous times over the years, even back into the late 90's early 2000's when that Polaris Sno-Cross racer Adam Johnson owned it

Remember when the pics were on the website with him doing the Evel Knievel style jump in Skyview's parking lot on a ramp built entirely out of snow??

I hope someone re-opens it, but didn't see any info that it was listed for sale

Ditto for Carlin Lodge located nearby, also showing "permanently closed"
I do remember when Adam did that jump. The previous owners prior to the most recent were super cool as well. I thought they did a fantastic job with running that place. Her name was Christine and I can't remember her husband's name, but they were awesome! Gosh I hope it reopens.

SHOOT2KILL

Skyview struggled over the last winter with new owners and closed in spring. It went up for sale late summer. They are asking more than a million for it, which IMO is insane. Sad because before we owned up there, we would always stay there starting back in the 80s when Adam Johnsons mom owned it. Adam sold it I'm guessing about ten or so years ago and at that time I believe it went for mid $300s. Through some of the locals I'm hearing that there is interest in purchasing it and re-opening it when the owners put a realistic price tag on it. Doubt it will happen this snowmobile season.
Its unfortunate that the $35k they rec'd from the PPP program couldn't offset whatever caused the closing...

kraven700

Its unfortunate that the $35k they rec'd from the PPP program couldn't offset whatever caused the closing...
We last stayed there February 2021 and the hotel rooms were partially remodeled with work ongoing including new trim , interior doors and water heaters

I remember years back there were these little 5 gallon electric hot water heaters in the vanities that barely had enough hot water for (1) shower

kraven700

I do remember when Adam did that jump. The previous owners prior to the most recent were super cool as well. I thought they did a fantastic job with running that place. Her name was Christine and I can't remember her husband's name, but they were awesome! Gosh I hope it reopens.
Agreed on recent owners as we last stayed there for a night in late February 2021. They let us park our truck & trailer there while we back-packed it from Presque Isle up to Copper Harbor and Back.
5 sleds started the trip, only 2 finished.

If anyone out there has some pics of that jump that was posted on their website years ago, could you please post it here ?

I was just telling my daughter about it

That is a shame.
Our group stayed there four many years. We all liked Christine when her and her husband ran it. Always requested room 104.

harvest1121

They did not understand the snowmobile public, I don't want brunch at 12 I was a cheeseburger. Went once and never went back after that. Skyview was one of the first places with a webcam checked it 20 times a day.

wiscrev

They did not understand the snowmobile public, I don't want brunch at 12 I was a cheeseburger. Went once and never went back after that. Skyview was one of the first places with a webcam checked it 20 times a day.
Eh, I'll take brunch anytime. I can always go to Mickey D's for a burger, just sayin'.

Northstar

Sad to see another spot close down on that loop of PI-Winchester-Mani-BJ. Like a trail of tombstones Skyview, Birch Lake, Bear Bar, Chicago Pub, Wilderness, Boulder Beer Bar & Georges.

IOWASLEDDER

Sad to see another spot close down on that loop of PI-Winchester-Mani-BJ. Like a trail of tombstones Skyview, Birch Lake, Bear Bar, Chicago Pub, Wilderness, Boulder Beer Bar & Georges.
No kidding! Kraven700 said the Carlin Club is closed as well. They had great steaks there!

euphoric1

Remember Bear Bar back in the 90's one of our must stops! great place...great food! also, Beaver Lodge from when it was a supper club setting to a TGIF in the middle of the north woods! those were the days!

pclark

No kidding! Kraven700 said the Carlin Club is closed as well. They had great steaks there!
Carlin has been closed for a long time. It briefly opened a couple years ago and a younger couple was running it, we went over for dinner and it brought back memories of a long time ago when the Carlin was open all the time. It closed after a few months, never to re-open again, miss it.

Liberals movin' in ridin' their bicycles on trails built with our tax money with no financial input of their own, are killin' all of that local business in that area....anything that burns fuel and supports business in this area is doomed. S x S's and snowmobiles are not welcome...We know a cold shoulder when we see one.

Hoosier

Liberals movin' in ridin' their bicycles on trails built with our tax money with no financial input of their own, are killin' all of that local business in that area....anything that burns fuel and supports business in this area is doomed. S x S's and snowmobiles are not welcome...We know a cold shoulder when we see one.
Makes my stomach turn hearing this. Northwoods is where you could go to get away from all of that.

IOWASLEDDER

Speaking of side by sides up there, is there any hope of opening up the county roads and/or any trails in Vilas County to side by sides/atvs basically west of a line from Land O'Lakes and Eagle River? I'm pretty sure you can't ride anywhere in the western 1/2 of Vilas west of that line. I had heard county road routes were open at least but I could be wrong??

goofy600

Speaking of side by sides up there, is there any hope of opening up the county roads and/or any trails in Vilas County to side by sides/atvs basically west of a line from Land O'Lakes and Eagle River? I'm pretty sure you can't ride anywhere in the western 1/2 of Vilas west of that line. I had heard county road routes were open at least but I could be wrong??
Parts of Vilas are open, Presque Isle has opened to atv/utv Minocqua is open also big thing is Boulder is not so it is still a work in progress for Vilas county.

pclark

Snowmobiles are very welcome in that area, not sure where you get that? SXS's it's a different story, As Goofy said there are 4 towns, MW, Winchester, Plum Lake, and Boulder Junction that do not allow SXS's in their townships. It's my understanding that a Town can still override the county on riding on the CTH's. To my understanding there is a very underdeveloped or no trail system in these areas and the property owners in those areas don't want them and have voted so in referendums.