Skyview Lodge closed??

pclark

The same thing is going on on the Cisco chain certain land owners making a lot of noise then getting government involved just to get what they want. Once they got started they are trying to add more restrictions to the chain. Only thing that is truly needed is enforce existing laws and all would be good but that will never happen because of the lack of law enforcement.
Your Chain is similiar to ours with 10 lakes or so and channels between them. Our law enforcement would rather harass boaters in a no wake zone for causing a little more than a ripple. My daughter had just passed her online test 7 years ago and she was driving in one of these no wake zones and we had a LEO pull us over and he wrote her a warning for causing a wake. I asked him how do you slow a boat down so much that you are not causing what they describe as a wake? He replied that those were the rules and I said you could just give a verbal warning? He was nice enough but it rattled my daughter a little bit. I later found out in order for the town to get supplemental funding they need to write a certain number of tickets per year (no bullshit). MW has since learned that if they harass boaters like that no one will come here so they backed off and things have been better on that issue. All I am saying is that they should concentrate more on the people that speed by within the 100ft from shore limit more and try to work together with all boaters on the wake issue because wake board boats are here to stay as well as everyone else.

kraven700

Not sure about the ATV, UTV or SxS thing - but I do know about the snowmobile thing in this area. I have been riding in this area since the late 90's. I know Adam Johnson and his family well. Our group used to rent a house from Adam's Mom for larger group weekends. I, too, used to check out Adam's "trail ride" for accurate snow conditions - he was one of the first. Adam and his wife have new careers and still live and work in the area. They are both just awesome people, as are their kids. Staying at the Skyview was cool - perfect location and open early for breakfast.

As for the sled riding in PI, the new (actually, not-so-new now) crew running the Snowbunnies are doing an incredible job. The prior Club was developed by some serious sledders and they built a great system, but the new group has really kicked things into high gear with serious work and capital investment into the Club operations and the trails. (I love the new logo and motto: "Fear the Bunnies!")

I get what people are saying about Manitowish Waters - a good friend of mine just bought property there and we have been sledding there since the late 90's as well. There are some facilities in that town that are not really for snowmobilers (like the fabulous cross-country ski trails and warming house). One could get the impression that they are all a bunch of tree-huggers and are not friendly to sledders. However, the snowmobile trail system through there is fantastic. Many of their trails are groomed twice a day on the weekends. The local businesses, including some rather "upscale" accommodations, are VERY snowmobile friendly. These include The Lodge, Pea Patch, Anglers, Little Bohemia, Aberdeen Lodge, Chippewa Retreat, The Rustic, and even the very expensive and upscale Smokeys. Manitowish Waters has a specially plowed trailer parking lot for everyone to use and the gas station in town sells both MI and WI trail passes, as well as all brands of oil, spark plugs, etc... . More importantly, the non-sledder crowd is very friendly and fun-loving when you meet them out-and-about town in the evenings. I really get the feeling that they're there -as we are - just to have fun in the great outdoors in the Wintertime.

Finally, as for Boulder Junction, I get what you're saying about some of the locals. I even know one who has lived there for generations and has always hated snowmobiles because of the noise and "exhaust fumes" - and yes, she's a liberal tree-hugger. But she, and her like-minded residents, lost that battle years ago and that isn't going to change. However, some of the local businesses have had troubles recently and were forced to close. Not really economic, either: Boulder Beer Bar had a devastating fire and they really haven't recovered even though they were covered by insurance and (I think) they rebuilt. The little old lady who ran the Outdoorsman passed away. Other establishments there are still thriving, such as the Granary, Headwaters, Gooch's - and the accommodations are still great. Yes, trail access through town is limited to marked streets and trails only, but the access trails are excellent and are well groomed - especially lately (the last few years).

To be sure, folks at this end of Vilas County are a little different from the hugely snowmobile friendly locations in some other parts of the County or in Iron County. Nevertheless, they're up here to have a good time and the few that look down their well (re)constructed noses at us sledders can go suck some Subaru exhaust. The businesses in the area really appreciate snowmobiling and what it does for the local economy - even businesses that really cater to the snowshoe crowd. I have always loved riding in this area and continue to use Manitowish Waters as our base of operations for both family and "guys" group rides.
Hey Marty,

I have a favor to ask

Could you please reach out to Adam and post that pic of him doing that Evel Knievel jump on his red Polaris ??

Thanks in advance

whitedust

Your Chain is similiar to ours with 10 lakes or so and channels between them. Our law enforcement would rather harass boaters in a no wake zone for causing a little more than a ripple. My daughter had just passed her online test 7 years ago and she was driving in one of these no wake zones and we had a LEO pull us over and he wrote her a warning for causing a wake. I asked him how do you slow a boat down so much that you are not causing what they describe as a wake? He replied that those were the rules and I said you could just give a verbal warning? He was nice enough but it rattled my daughter a little bit. I later found out in order for the town to get supplemental funding they need to write a certain number of tickets per year (no bullshit). MW has since learned that if they harass boaters like that no one will come here so they backed off and things have been better on that issue. All I am saying is that they should concentrate more on the people that speed by within the 100ft from shore limit more and try to work together with all boaters on the wake issue because wake board boats are here to stay as well as everyone else.
They did the same with DNR about 10 years ago for snowmobiling. The so called safety team would set up dragnets stop every sledder shake them down for paper registration ask dumb questions and let you thru. If you were visiting a town restaurant you got shaken down in and out a total pita. The public out cry was so bad towns in Vilas requested the DNR safety team to stay out. Ironically the powers in government control pulled them out. The team had no effect whatsoever other than a big pita.

pclark

They did the same with DNR about 10 years ago for snowmobiling. The so called safety team would set up dragnets stop every sledder shake them down for paper registration ask dumb questions and let you thru. If you were visiting a town restaurant you got shaken down in and out a total pita. The public out cry was so bad towns in Vilas requested the DNR safety team to stay out. Ironically the powers in government control pulled them out. The team had no effect whatsoever other than a big pita.
I remember that and we got stuck in one of those traps a little north of Minocqua.

Also miss Skyview and sad the place went to crap after our friends Rick and Christine Strand sold it. They are still in the northwoods and we still talk to them from time to time. Hopefully someone can resurrect the place and make a go of it. We ended up purchasing a place by Land O Lakes and just love the people and area. Anyway - thanks to Archive those Adam pictures are attached.

Attachments

• adam20022.jpg
    adam20022.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 98
  • adam20023.jpg
    adam20023.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 96
  • adam20024.jpg
    adam20024.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 105

united

Wait is that the same guy in all the pics? Different coat and different pants? Or did two different guys use the same machine? And was there a landing ramp or just parking lot?

marty700

Also miss Skyview and sad the place went to crap after our friends Rick and Christine Strand sold it. They are still in the northwoods and we still talk to them from time to time. Hopefully someone can resurrect the place and make a go of it. We ended up purchasing a place by Land O Lakes and just love the people and area. Anyway - thanks to Archive those Adam pictures are attached.
Thanks, Chief! Kraven - there you go. I can ask Adam if he has a picture of the landing - I don't remember seeing that.

wiscrev

Wait is that the same guy in all the pics? Different coat and different pants? Or did two different guys use the same machine? And was there a landing ramp or just parking lot?
In one of the pics, it looks like there is a ramp/hill piled up for the landing. Click on the pic and it will enlarge.

united

It is hard to tell from the angles. I see what I think you mean in pic 2 but if you look at pic 3 it looks like it might just be snowbanks plowed up to the building.

kraven700

Thanks for posting
I appreciate it

rph130

There was a landing ramp. One picture is Adam Johnson and the other with different coat/bibs was his brother Cal.

Longlegs

Adam was the original north woods cam network. Lol. I remember waiting to see his weekly ride videos. That was way before GoPro. And he had the live cam where the sleds would park. Was always fun to see groups pull up and wave at the camera. I remember staying there when he had the snow piled for the jump. Oh, I also remember the 5 gallon water heaters. Those were the days.

catalac

Adam was the original north woods cam network. Lol. I remember waiting to see his weekly ride videos. That was way before GoPro. And he had the live cam where the sleds would park. Was always fun to see groups pull up and wave at the camera. I remember staying there when he had the snow piled for the jump. Oh, I also remember the 5 gallon water heaters. Those were the days.
I used to check his cam 5 times everyday to see the sleds and watch it snow.
Those were the days.