Sled comparison- AC,Yami,Doo,Pol

cries

Greetings. I am a die hard AC fan. Have always owned them. Currently have 2 x 97 EXT600's and 1 x 98 ZL440. This past w/e, I had catastrophic engine failure on the ZL and now seriously considering getting some newer used sleds (2007 or newer). We are experienced trail riders and considering 600cc and up for myself and a 600cc for my wife. Given the fact that my sleds are older and we have only riden AC, I thought I would throw this email out and get some opinions on the newer ACs and the other brands. I naturally want to go with AC but I am trying to keep an open mind. Looked at a 2009 Yamaha this past w/e but just could not pull the trigger. Looking for comfortable ride, good acceleration and handling. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

srt20

If your getting a 600 engine, go test ride all the brands. Then pick the one you like best. All the brands make good 600s. Dont let anybody tell you different.

I'm an AC guy myself, but like srt20 said above, they're all making good 600 s. I have an F6, and it has been the most comfortable, incredible ride I've ever experienced. It does lack in overall top end, but its otherwise very quick and steers like it has power steering. Its like we say, it may not have the highest top end, but when you can fly over moguls all day at any speed and not be tired who cares. Same can be said for most of the other new rider forward chassis, they're all good and it's just a matter of personal preference.

boritzer1234

I would consider looking at a 4-stroke yamaha or a ski-doo if you're a trail rider. Both get great gas mileage the only difference is the yamaha you dont use any oil which is always an expense you can eliminate. Any newer sled you ride will have a much better ride then you're older Arctic Cats. But I may be biased but I have ridden yamaha's all my life and if you're trail riding you will like the gas mileage and reliability of the new four strokes.

srobak

I used to have a Phaser and an SS440 back in the day - and I always loved Yami as a result.

I did like AC as well and would usually rent those (mid 2000 models) after I moved out of snow country on my visits back north...

However - last year I rented a Ski Doo 600 Renegade with a long track and my god what an amazing difference. Top notch suspension front and rear, very predictable handling, and excellent power delivery. No - it is not a rocket sled like what some people on here have (800's+), but it handled very well, was comfortable, dependable and predictable in almost all aspects... did well on trail as well as in 8 inches of powder and flying across the lake and seems to be a decent all-around sled. Hit triple digits with ease and a quickness and never so much as hiccupped. I am told the only suspension that currently rivals that of skidoo is yami.

misty_pines

I understand your brand loyalty to AC. If you are thinking of looking at other brands I would recommend you take a look at the Ski-Doo 600 e-tec. I have heard great things about this motor and the XP chassis. I made the mistake of riding my nephew's 600 e-tec Renegade and now think I will have to buy one (although may be the 800 e-tec). Good luck!

yamahauler

I would look into a Vector for both of you. Make sure you get it with the Ohlins adjustable on the fly rear shock. You will wonder why you waited this long.

Also, I think do might have some good stuff as well, but I would rate them less dependable motor, frame, etc...than Yamaha.

personally I wouldn't look at a poo or ac...they seem to just plain be behind on some things with trail sleds...mountain sleds are a different story.

snow_monkey

I would start by sitting on the sleds and see what you think of the various seating positions. Now that I have been sitting on other sleds I feel like I am sitting on the ground and find the need to move to a more rider forward sled.

Banks93

If your getting a 600 engine, go test ride all the brands. Then pick the one you like best. All the brands make good 600s. Dont let anybody tell you different.
600 ski doo E-tec just went bad and it is 3 weeks to fix with parts on backorder. I guess they don't have lots of problems if parts are on back order. Go with the Yamaha 2010 Vector GT LTX EFI and you won't be sorry. Darting is an issue but put a pair of snowtrackers on them and you will fix that issue.

harvest1121

I do have a Ski Doo xp 800. It does get great gas mpg and does not use a lot of oil. I have to say after my warranty is up I will be getting a 4 stroke. It will be a Skiddoo 4tec or a Vector. The only thing its going to come down for me is size and what I am comfortable on. My dad has 2 yamaha 4 strokes and is slowly converting all of us. The first time you ride one you do not like the motor because they are smooth and you do not think you are moving.

I think my 800 xp is tired at 5500 miles and his Venture at 9000 feels new.

Attachments

• 006 (800x600).jpg
    006 (800x600).jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 86

boritzer1234

I agree with the vector. The yamaha apex maybe a little to much power for you as it is yamaha's, for lack of a better word, "speed" sled. I've also heard they arent the best on gas, they still do better than most sleds but as good as a vector. The nytro is more for sporty agressive riding and same with the phazer. From what i've hear, the vector is a great trail riding sled with plenty of power and great gas mileage, which is a big thing now days.

lvr1000

Wife owns an '07 Jag (7000 miles) and absolutely loves the ride and handling. She wouldn't let me ride it (ie beat it) so I had to buy my own WITH a TURBO! Amazing how light this sled feels on the trails. We both run 8" Triple Points and still feels like the sled has power steering.

ezra

this mo suppertrax has a 10 used sleds worth considering.some I agreed with a 1 I said W.T.F..the one I most agree with is of course the 06 to 07 xfire 6 and 7 I have yet to ride a xfire I did not love my bud got a xfire 7sp this summer for 4300 with 800mi great sled for the cash.they also had the 05 06 07 rev mxz500ss.the 05 06 f6 f7 the06 07 apex the 06 07 gade and mxz 600sdi also 06 07 fusion600ho and06 07 venture1000 the 07 jag the 05 06 07 RS vector and the one I sed W.T.F. to wait for it wait for it drum roll ready the 05 06 fusion 900 ok stop laughing they say it is a good buy because 1price 2they say after the 30 or 40 thousand recalls it is a verry reliable Handel bumps well is almost as fast as a fusion 700 and it is cheep.I would do the xfire7 for me and look for a saber cat 600 with remote start reverse verry plush and can be found cheep country cat just sold a brand new 700 ext loaded last week for 5grand

Last edited:

brad460

I would start by sitting on the sleds and see what you think of the various seating positions. Now that I have been sitting on other sleds I feel like I am sitting on the ground and find the need to move to a more rider forward sled.

X2

I personally love the new SkiDoo XP chassis because it fits my body perfect. For example now going from my XP to my friends Apex is like going back 10 years and sitting on the ground with my knees up in the air...

T

Team Elkhorn

Please, Dont switch brands until you at least try the new twin spar cats. Wife and I have them and love them. F6 and F5 lxr"s. And when its time to replace them, we are going with the twin spar 4 stroke, Z1 cats. Just sayin....

gps_kid

If you are riding late 90's models now it would seem to me that you typically take care of your sleds. If you were to buy Yamaha 4 strokes and took care of them the say way, then it will be another 10 years before you have to worry about writing your next thread. I have owned 3 Yamaha 4 strokers starting in 2005 and have piled over 25k miles on the trails. Rock solid engines that simply perform. Suspenions getting better every year. Good luck with your search.

yamahauler

I would agree with the "sit on them all" and make sure you give the finalists a ride before buying. Just remember one thing when test driving. The sled may not be set up for you weight so it might not handle like it should. You should maybe try to have the dealer set up a sled for your weight and your wife's weight, that way you can get the best feel before you buy and tweak it in.

marty__kms

All sled mfg currently make fine sleds, some of the riders and their mouths, not so much. Anyway, while there is still snow on the ground I would try to set up 1 hour test rides on each of the four brands then make your decision from there. Another factor to consider is the dealership, which sometimes can make all the difference in the world.

Marty @ KMS
(Biased opinion)

Chad, should I edit this?

Last edited:

whitedust

Yep a lot of new tech out there all brands so you need to test ride. 4s any brand & etek 2s gaining ground so must be doing something right. Rider forward a must no matter what brand. If I ranked pros & cons for me 1 Yam, 2 Doo, 3 AC , 4 Poo.