Sleepy River bridge on trail 13 washed away!

snoden

The U.P. Superior Snowmobile Club posted pictures on their Facebook page of the wash out of this bridge on trail 13 between Twin Lakes and Greenland. Love this trail, hopefully repairs can be made to allow this section of 13 to open for the 23/24 season.

whitedust

The U.P. Superior Snowmobile Club posted pictures on their Facebook page of the wash out of this bridge on trail 13 between Twin Lakes and Greenland. Love this trail, hopefully repairs can be made to allow this section of 13 to open for the 23/24 season.
That’s extremely unfortunate hopefully the DNR will approve and repair quickly but we sure haven’t seen quick wash out bridge repairs in the UP in the past. As far as I know trail 15 north from IR 2 was closed all winter and still closed and all that bridge needed was repairs

lost trails
1- chassell to baraga trail
2-109
3-freda loop
4-15 from sidnaw to iron river
5-now pats back 13 possibly
6- kewenaw had some close off and on

i love the area but what can be done

ICT Sledder

lost trails
1- chassell to baraga trail
2-109
3-freda loop
4-15 from sidnaw to iron river
5-now pats back 13 possibly
6- kewenaw had some close off and on

i love the area but what can be done
The area is becoming a summer vacation spot only, not a trail sledder destination.

garageguy

Trail 3 up and down that's about it. What side trails that are left, have wash outs and are closed for logging it seems.

indy_500

Trail 3 up and down that's about it. What side trails that are left, have wash outs and are closed for logging it seems.
Agreed. The loss of trails and lack of resources to fix them is why it is no longer my preferred trail riding destination. You go north of houghton there’s about 2 or 3 trails left. South of there you have a railroad grade that you have to take all the way down to mass city before you see an intersection. I laugh at the trail riders that go there, because they drove past a lot of beautiful trails to get there. In the past 4 years I have trail ridden the western UP exactly 4 times, and all 4 times it was only because they had the snow and WI didn’t. If you stay west of hwy 45 ( draw a line from watersmeet thru mass city to the lake ) there is still a ton of good riding, but east and northeast of there is becoming a lost cause, and it’s unfortunate because typically they get the most snow of anywhere in the Midwest on a yearly basis.

It sucks because the funding is out of the snowmobilers hands, and with such low population areas in the UP it’s hard to find the volunteers needed to fix things.

As far as copper harbor goes, I’ve been waiting for that for awhile. I think it’s just a matter of time before they kick sledders out of town, and off of brockway. We already lost bear belly bar, you take CH away and there’s no reason to ride north of Houghton anymore.

ragex2

You can also add trail 16 near Sagola to your list of lost trails in the last few years. These trails are crucial to the UPs winter economy but no one in power or DNR seems to care.

wisco-mb

That's really too bad. It's such a unique area, and always good snowfall. I haven't been in that area since the washouts.
Those closed ones were really fun trails. Just running 3 gets pretty old.
I'm surprised there hasn't been more accountability from the MI snowmobile association on the DNR funding.

ICT Sledder

Laugh all you want. I have far more miles of trails from my driveway and in my county in NE MN, with drastically less traffic and smoother trails. Take out the lookouts and other non-riding destinations in the Keweenaw, and there's literally no difference. Softwood forests, hardwood forests, curves, hills, railroad grade highway trails, etc. Looks all the same from a sled.

If you're one of those hardcore, super-duper, expert, off trail phenoms with a 254" sled wrapped in the latest LGBTQIA+ graphics and a nuclear weed eater exhaust system that you only ride within 25 feet of Trail 3 between Greenland and Houghton, then I guess it still might be a draw.

whitedust

Laugh all you want. I have far more miles of trails from my driveway and in my county in NE MN, with drastically less traffic and smoother trails. Take out the lookouts and other non-riding destinations in the Keweenaw, and there's literally no difference. Softwood forests, hardwood forests, curves, hills, railroad grade highway trails, etc. Looks all the same from a sled.

If you're one of those hardcore, super-duper, expert, off trail phenoms with a 254" sled wrapped in the latest LGBTQIA+ graphics and a nuclear weed eater exhaust system that you only ride within 25 feet of Trail 3 between Greenland and Houghton, then I guess it still might be a draw.
That was a change in subject matter no I don’t think the UP is a summer only recreational area. I wasn’t debating UP scenery or trail type with NE MN I like to ride east of Watersmeet not the Keewee or the Bill Nichols too much traffic in Big Snow for me. My buds and I have discussed this before ride east less snow and a whole lot less traffic than Bill Nichols but well worth it if you can make do with sparse amenities. The loss of 109 and now the Greenland loop does limit your options not very interesting to me but to each his /her own.

ICT Sledder

That was a change in subject matter no I don’t think the UP is a summer only recreational area. I wasn’t debating UP scenery or trail type with NE MN I like to ride east of Watersmeet not the Keewee or the Bill Nichols too much traffic in Big Snow for me. My buds and I have discussed this before ride east less snow and a whole lot less traffic than Bill Nichols but well worth it if you can make do with sparse amenities. The loss of 109 and now the Greenland loop does limit your options not very interesting to me but to each his /her own.
Yeah, I was originally referring to the Keweenaw-ish area of the UP, both with my original response and my sarcastic one above. Obviously Trail 13 is getting down the peninsula a bit, I understand. I'm still on board with the western UP in general, I've just lost my love of the Keweenaw specifically from a trail sledding perspective.

whitedust

Yeah, I was originally referring to the Keweenaw-ish area of the UP, both with my original response and my sarcastic one above. Obviously Trail 13 is getting down the peninsula a bit, I understand. I'm still on board with the western UP in general, I've just lost my love of the Keweenaw specifically from a trail sledding perspective.
Yep I have no interest in riding the Keweenaw or the Bill Nichols either been there done that suggest everyone ride it once lots of snow but limited in trail choice. I do like the UP interior Amasa , Champion , Republic , Crystal Falls and Iron River not a lot of amenities but enough for us. I have no idea why more riders don’t frequent those areas modern sleds very reliable ,gas efficient to make it to available gas and enough eateries to make do.

snoden

Rode the Keweenaw this past season for first time since the late 90's. Recently discussed our ride with my group and everyone agreed no reason to ever go back. With the loss of all the loops it made it pretty boring riding trail 3 for miles on end. We have 3 youngsters in their late twenties that got to see it for the first time, they loved the ride up to Brockway mountain and back down to CH.

dfattack

Yep I have no interest in riding the Keweenaw or the Bill Nichols either been there done that suggest everyone ride it once lots of snow but limited in trail choice. I do like the UP interior Amasa , Champion , Republic , Crystal Falls and Iron River not a lot of amenities but enough for us. I have no idea why more riders don’t frequent those areas modern sleds very reliable ,gas efficient to make it to available gas and enough eateries to make do.
Big Bay, Gwinn, trail 5 north and south and all the Florence and forest county trails (y)