Small Towns

Magnumb

Thought this kinda painted a good picture of what's going on with small towns across the UP. If only these towns could thrive again and draw more people in.

Last edited:

goofy600

Thought this kinda painted a good picture of what's going on with small towns across the UP. If only these towns could thrive again and draw more people in.
Don’t know what picture is painted but from living in a small town in the UP we need young people to be willing to come here or stay hear and work and also the government all levels to make it easier to get businesses going, look at all the time it is taking the mosquito in is having getting started again. Also try to find affordable housing in some towns is not easy. My2 cents

wiscrev

Affordable housing in ER area is non-existent. Stores get foreigners to come here and work for the summer and stay in upstairs apartments.

whitedust

Young people for the most part don’t move to the Northwoods for employment primarily because there is so little opportunity. I’m sure a few may have come north but for the most part I only know younger folks who left due to little or no opportunities. They have done well in the Fox Cites and even in IL.

indy_500

Young people for the most part don’t move to the Northwoods for employment primarily because there is so little opportunity. I’m sure a few may have come north but for the most part I only know younger folks who left due to little or no opportunities. They have done well in the Fox Cites and even in IL.
Coming from someone who lives in the fox cities, I personally have worked with about 10 yoopers over the last 10 or so years who have all come down here because their quality of life was awful with little to no opportunities up there. One guy went from living in a trailer park in Baraga/L’anse working at a machine shop, to now already owning his second home already ($400k) in the past 12 years living down here, doing the same type of work. Another one of my coworkers who I chat with quite often, moved down here at the age of 19 from Hurley just a few years ago, and bought a house by age 20.

Last edited:

ezra

Even if you were to move a existing shop would you move to buisness hating states like MI or MN ? Even if laborer was cherp and plentiful? No you would do like others and move to SD or FL or TX etc etc why fight the loosing battel of bureaucracy ?

SledTL

Even if you were to move a existing shop would you move to buisness hating states like MI or MN ? Even if laborer was cherp and plentiful? No you would do like others and move to SD or FL or TX etc etc why fight the loosing battel of bureaucracy ?
Cmon now, you live here. You know that quality of life consistently ranks higher than any of those states. Do I always agree with the politicians choices, no but I dont think you will find many people here sorry that the door hits them on the way out to places like SD.