Snow on the way! Let’s see how these Poo 850’s do!

euphoric1

Im not a snowmobile dealer however I do sell outdoor power equipment before someone assumes that just because one unit has issues, all units have issues, I can say that is so far from the truth and is probably why something has not really been stated yet. In production everything that is serialized is married to the equipment it is being put into. Having said that a serial number contains a lot of valuable information to a manufacturer and once they determine the cause of failure they will determine if it is a part failure, production or assembly issue and yes they will be able to narrow it down to if need be to a specific date of production, specific serial number range which may not include all, Warranties can cost companies a lot of money and im sure they don't want to prematurely pull the trigger yet on any statement as this is a new build and are feverishly trying to again determine cause and if it affects all or some. And I'm sure any reputable dealer would be honest especially to those who purchased one as to whether or not they have seen the issue. It sucks yes for those who have had the problem but sure Polaris will resolve it, these things cant happen over night as they need to find the cause and the right fix and determine how many are affected or potentially could be. Believe it or not...yes it could affect a very small serial number range.

Went up last Saturday and a midweek ride with my buddy thats got a 850 and we put on 800 miles and no issues with his so far.

snowchief

Mine was a late November build I believe, first time out today put 4 hours on and 80 miles today, first time with the 144 and I like it so far 5882.jpg

thebreeze

So I was wrong..... The PTO oil line did not pop off. The oil line that feeds the water pump cavity popped off. I was able to personally inspect the crank bearings and other engine internals at the dealership, and was happy with how the bearings felt and top end looked. Still no difinive answer as to why the cavity built pressure and blew the line off. Dealer tested both entry and exit check valves, and both flowed freely. No evidence of excess sealant inthe cavity.... We do not have Polaris marching orders yet as to how to procede. I will update once a proposed solution arises.

snobuilder

So I was wrong..... The PTO oil line did not pop off. The oil line that feeds the water pump cavity popped off. I was able to personally inspect the crank bearings and other engine internals at the dealership, and was happy with how the bearings felt and top end looked. Still no difinive answer as to why the cavity built pressure and blew the line off. Dealer tested both entry and exit check valves, and both flowed freely. No evidence of excess sealant inthe cavity.... We do not have Polaris marching orders yet as to how to procede. I will update once a proposed solution arises.

How did the center crank bearing oil line coming off deposit oil under the PTO bearing and clutch?

attachment.php

euphoric1

Not to stir up and bad juju but this thread pretty much went from doom and gloom to dead silent, was it all an over reaction to one or two incidents? any feedback from those who had failure or those who haven't?

snobuilder

Not to stir up and bad juju but this thread pretty much went from doom and gloom to dead silent, was it all an over reaction to one or two incidents? any feedback from those who had failure or those who haven't?

We all received a verbal warning from Poo Ind. ...J/K....Snowest has a ton of drama.... 1000 posts

euphoric1

We all received a verbal warning from Poo Ind. ...J/K....Snowest has a ton of drama.... 1000 posts

a good dealer friend of mine had told me it was primarily an issue on mtn sleds and he thought he had heard it was a improper break in issue, smoke and mirrors? and that they had not seen issues yet with 850's they sold, I just hope for polaris and riders sake not a big issue and also hoped it wasn't some kind... of as you put "smear campaign" because that does no one any favors, especially the manufacturer. was just curious

slimcake

Just about 700 miles of smiles on mine. Checked things over last night and everything looks perfect. Plugs are perfect. no oil leaks. AF stayed right where it started. I am very happy so far!!

SledTL

I just can't buy into the fact of Poo going from "prototype" build, to production run, without at least several "pilot/initial" build runs down the real line, in real time!!! If so then the consumer is the test rat!!! No thanks!!!!!!!!!!!! Unacceptable!!!!!! Maybe this is the reason for 850 snowcheck only?????????????

I worked in the Osceola plant that does powertrain assembly for the 800s and now I believe the 850s too. I still work in manufacturing, and I can tell you 100% that companies do not go from prototype to production. Polaris uses a gate system of builds that then go to testing, etc. I no longer do engine things, but for new Graco products, we have a series of units to help the assemblers practice, as well as verify in test labs that things are functioning properly. I get it that people want things to work perfectly but its just not possible. Humans cause errors and you can't sort those errors out until things are being used. If consumers were not so uptight about year to year turnovers trucks, sleds, etc. would not cost so much due to the amount of resources being thrown at R&D. As a comment to add on about sourcing, that also has caused prices to get jacked up. Everyone wants their margins, you and I just get the short end of the stick. Bring things in house- cheaper and higher quality.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
a good dealer friend of mine had told me it was primarily an issue on mtn sleds and he thought he had heard it was a improper break in issue, smoke and mirrors? and that they had not seen issues yet with 850's they sold, I just hope for polaris and riders sake not a big issue and also hoped it wasn't some kind... of as you put "smear campaign" because that does no one any favors, especially the manufacturer. was just curious
Improper break in? Lol, classic!

1fujifilm

Right on bro, try to break in a new sled at 7k feet with powder; the sled gets beat with high RPM's.

Bear