Snow scratchers

ragex2

i am considering a set of scratchers and wondered how many of you use them and how effective they are. which ones are the best?

pinestump

I run them because I run a paddle track and do not use studs
They also are a must in the spring after a warm day and hard snow the next day to help keep a sled cool.
If u run studs they are not necessary.
Buy reverse-able scratchers
Hope this helps

warner

duraflex flexible scratchers....they have a replaceable carbide tip if you wear it out.
ran em for two seasons so far and work great

ezra

both cable and wire style have there own issues. I have run both. have wire style on now

durphee

Even if you have studs I would still recommend them. Warm days and cold nights create a icy nightmare for keeping your sleds cold. Has all sorts of trouble in minocqua 2 years ago during late season riding, overheating issues big time. slapped on some ice scratchers and significantly reduced the problem. I dont always run with them down, when not needed I just put them up but be careful they can rub down your rail. I have duraflex and recommend them.

cwl611

I use Redneck Scratchers made by Midnight Sun Mfg out of Idaho. They are the cable type and work real well for me

doospunk

Reversible "Wire" Ice Storm Scratchers - hands down best I've used, and still do. Ran 4 different sets of cable scratchers before these. The older cable versions were ok, but when they took the coating off the cable years back, I had nothing but problems from there. They did not have enough down pressure anymore and began to just hang with little effect. Check out the following link. This is my 2nd set. Have not been disappointed. They kick up a lot of ice, and seem to work well in reverse. (No bends yet)....

http://www.gobigparts.com/ICE-STORM-REVERSIBLE-SCRATCHER-BY-OVER-THE-TOP-PERFORMANCE.html

misty_pines

I've had good luck with my Duraflex cable style scratchers over the past two seasons. Some of my friends use the spring style scratches and although they kick up a bit more snow and ice, every one of them has backed up with them down accidentally and wrecked them at one time or another. The Duraflex scratchers kick up enough snow and ice to be effective to keep my sled running cool and no worries about wrecking them when backing up.

ezra

backing up u will bend the wire style. but I would not say wrecked heck they work better after a good tweaking. the set I have on now got he cheapskate vice grip renewal last season after they were wore down to just a straight hunk of wire. think with the new vice grip bend I am good for 1 more season . then it is sale time any way

groomerdriver

Duraflex on two sleds and never a problem. I run one down at a time......no need for both down in my case or what I've run on. Alternate them when I stop. Also will be installing a "hook" onto each rail to hang them on when not in use. They can wear a groove into your rails.

ac600sp

Get the cable scratchers. I've been running them for a few seasons. Durable and you don't have to worry about putting them up for reverse.