Snowmobile Jackets

rph130

I am looking for some input on snowmobile jackets. The one I have now was a gift several years ago and I don't like it. It is a Skidoo brand. Too big and bulky and I feel like the Michelin tire man. Just curious what anybody out there is wearing and pros/cons of what you like. Thanks in advance for any opinions and recommendations.

whitedust

I just bought new FXR ice expedition jacket because I like pockets and it’s a hybrid jacket for snowmobiling and ice fishing. It’s super warm and bulky since I like the Fast insulation that will float me if I go thru the ice my second choice would have been FXR team jacket for snowmobiling only. I also have FXR team Fast bibs. I have a separate doo and Arctvia shell 3 in ones for warm days. I wear a sixsixone core protector underneath. Imo the only way around bulk is 3 in ones just layer up for type of weather and ride.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Doo and the rest of them have plenty of options. Some like the bulk, some like the layers, there should be something for everyone if a guy takes the time to look. Personally, I've worn just about everything over the years. I'm currently a happy KLIM customer for top and bottom. FXR Boots because I like the liners attached. Others like the liners removable. To each his own, whatever keeps you warm and happy, there's plenty to choose from. I added the new Exome helmet this year and have been watching the reviews on here. If I ever get to use the thing, I'll be glad to share my thoughts. ;)

old abe

My suggestion is you always try on snowmobile clothing, no matter the brand, before buying to make sure the fit is RIGHT. Sizes very greatly, even in the same brands these days!

rph130

Thanks for the advice and opinions. Can't stop laughing about the exchange between Gary and Garageguy. The wife thinks I'm nuts sitting here laughing at the screen. You guys made my day.

snomoman

I myself was laughing about the reply, I was doing my chores today and just started laughing and my wife said what the heck is going on? It just didn’t seem funny to her like it did to me

600_RMK_144

FXR has good options and ranks most all of their gear with a warmth number... 9 being the warmest (not sure why 10 isn't. LOL!). They also have a Factory Outlet in the Forest Lake, MN area if that is close to you for trying things on. Good luck!

BigSix

I myself was laughing about the reply, I was doing my chores today and just started laughing and my wife said what the heck is going on? It just didn’t seem funny to her like it did to me
Laughter is the best medicine!

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Johnny.png

Yeah, Dem New Fangled Jackets'll never work.
Too many pockets and zippers, stuff'll get lost when ya need it like your socket wrench or spare spark plugs.
Plus with the call of nature ya take off the jacket, then drop your pants, by that time it might be too late! Ever think of that?
Give me my old One Piece I got from Fleet Farm back in 79. One zipper and I'm out there fertilizing mother nature!
Stick with the Tried & True like my 4 Buckle Boots, they'll never let ya down!

And don't get me started on that new Doo Exhume Helmet...
I tried one on it scared the daylights out of me.
First they clamp that rubber mask over my face and then slam shut the lid.
Felt like I was in a coffin for cripes sakes.
I'll keep my old reliable twin stripes, she's saved my noggin a few times when we landed in the pickers!
Plus the open face lets me smoke my cigar while riding.
You can't do that with dem New Fangled Helmets the young guys are wearing.

Darn Tootin, Johnny Skeptical

indy_500

Currently rocking a Klim Kaos for trail riding. Kind of wearing close to a full size up, making it a little thicker/bulkier than preferred. It is also warmer than I prefer, but I got it half off so I’ll make due. I prefer something a little thinner that I can layer underneath on cold days.

eao

I have an FXR for sale. New never worn. Size XL $175
FXR-xl.jpg

BigSix

View attachment 67726

Yeah, Dem New Fangled Jackets'll never work.
Too many pockets and zippers, stuff'll get lost when ya need it like your socket wrench or spare spark plugs.
Plus with the call of nature ya take off the jacket, then drop your pants, by that time it might be too late! Ever think of that?
Give me my old One Piece I got from Fleet Farm back in 79. One zipper and I'm out there fertilizing mother nature!
Stick with the Tried & True like my 4 Buckle Boots, they'll never let ya down!

And don't get me started on that new Doo Exhume Helmet...
I tried one on it scared the daylights out of me.
First they clamp that rubber mask over my face and then slam shut the lid.
Felt like I was in a coffin for cripes sakes.
I'll keep my old reliable twin stripes, she's saved my noggin a few times when we landed in the pickers!
Plus the open face lets me smoke my cigar while riding.
You can't do that with dem New Fangled Helmets the young guys are wearing.

Darn Tootin, Johnny Skeptical

"That's 'cause you got leaf springs and boogie wheels". I could use a sled with those features now in this part of the state! Not enough snow for the new ones.:cry::cry: