So.......I started a project, My new Garage!

wiscrev

Love my LiftMaster. Quiet and can be opened or closed from your fone which can come in handy at times. Total installation was $420 since I am mechanically declined, lol.

dfattack

I have the liftmaster belt drive too. Super quiet and can open and close from my phone which is very handy in my situation.

Tuck

the wall mount direct drive is nice and quite. the only issue I have seen with them is on 18 foot wide doors and some 16 ft doors is wind. there is no center rail to keep pressure on the center of the door. a strong enough wind will make the top center of the door flex some.

Northstar

I installed the Chamberlain belt drive for my daughter, nice and quiet and about $180. It included the MyQ WiFi connection and app which does come in handy because you can tell the status of the door (open/close) or let in contractors if you are so inclined without having to provide keypad access.

Though the idea of the wall mounted and not needing to have additional stuff overhead does sound nice. Cleans up that middle space for lights or a mount for a hoist if you were so inclined to lift up a sled and work on it in the middle of the garage. PS good time to put in the blocking for a eye hook for something like a chain hoist.

lofsfire

I love my Chamberlain/ liftmaster belt drive with MyQ WiFi and battery backup. Mine is a least 5 years old... Only complaint, which by now I sure is fixed is mine technically not LED bulb compatible. But with everything going LED that has to be change by now. I still use the LED bulbs but the range can be reduced when using the regular RF remotes. This is a closing issue due to interference from the LED's. When opening the lights are typically not on yet. Opening range is well more than needed. 5-6 house away. I like the LED's because my garage is basically a 3 car size but setup for just two parking spots. So with LED I can put 100W equivalent bulbs in the opener and still be less power than a 60W incandescent bulb which it calls for.
Also the MyQ lets you do more that just open the door over WiFi. You can schedule open or close times. I have close times every hour on the hour from 10PM on, for the nights someone leaves the door open. You can set alerts for and reminders if the door has been open for to long. I don't have this setup but you can use IFTTT (If This Then That) Where if you have a heater and it is set up with a WiFi thermostat it could tell the door to close if someone leaves it open and the temp drops below freezing inside. Then it would kick the heater on. I also have a camera in the garage so I can make sure nothing is in the way of the door. There are safeties that alert you to the door coming down or even stop it.

Back to the lights, I also have 6 standard A2 light bases in the garage that are designed for 100W bulbs. I changed those out for for LED's which are 500W equivalent bulbs which are still under 100W of power years ago. I have no problems seeing in the garage at night. Bulbs were about $20-$25 each at Menard's but well worth it! So If you add all that up its equivalent 3200W of lights! In the words of Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor Arugh, Arugh, Arugh, More Power!

pclark

Last time I checked in we had set the the trusses for the 2nd story and I was starting to sheath the roof upstairs. I really liked Skiroules way to get OSB up on his roof but not for this guy. I hauled up each piece myself and my 66 year body felt every one of the 24 sheets that I put up there, working that high up presented some challenges, especially on the high side. After finishing one side, it went very well, I started in on the difficult side. Setting that first row was tough because you are working very high up, by yourself, and trying to make sure you are running as straight as possible, I got that first row set and then I took the other sheets up the side that I previously had done and slid them down into place. Seems easy right? Yeah, piece o cake, well it got done and I was pretty happy, oh yeah, forgot, was stung by a bee, hand swelled up pretty bad, stabbed myself with the EPI PEN and took benadryl, swelling took 4 days to go down but worked through it. Monday I started putting on the drip edge, 2 rows of ice & water, and then silicone felt paper, One side done, one to go! Oh yeah, throw in gable work that takes alot of time and energy. Tuesday it rained all day and was 40 degrees, no roof work that day, Wednesday morning it was dry and the day turned out to be pretty nice, after installing the drip edge on the high side, SCARY!, I put 2 rows of Ice & Water on SCARY!, and then wrapped up things with the felt paper. I am all dried in on the roofs, Guys are coming to shingle by the end of the month so I am a happy camper!

Also happening this week was my gas line was installed from the road to my house so that I can run it in to my garage, It was a 2 day project for them, Intercon does the work, and they broke a drill head ($4,000 cost), hit the major phone line at the road, wiped out phone and internet for 2 days for everyone, and finished up by the end of the 2nd day.

I have a couple more things to finish on the roof like drip edge on rake side but will be moving on to closing the sides in very soon. I am 54 days into the build and getting things done on time, they are calling for rain on Friday and Saturday so I'll be working inside on some things. Enjoy the pics and it was a beautiful night tonight, wish I had time to go fishing!
1697068676164.png
1697068843562.png
1697068901849.png 1697068967828.png 1697068983618.png
1697069004334.png 1697069024587.png

whitedust

Your are looking good Paul amazed you are staying on schedule in Vilas. Deer season contractors won’t schedule anything inside or out and usually snows anyway by then. Good luck with your build. 👍

rph130

Looks great pclark. Especially the hand! Same thing happened to me last week in Presque Isle and my hand swelled so bad my wife had to take me to Howard Young E.R. No problem breathing so no epi pen but the swell, pain and itch was incredible. Could not move my fingers or wrist for a few days. E.R. doc said that what he has seen is the older we get, the worse the reaction. Steroids and antihistamines cured me within a week. At least with the colder temps now the hornets/wasps seem to have disappeared. If I knew how to post pics here I could show a sausage hand that looked identical to yours.

pclark

Your are looking good Paul amazed you are staying on schedule in Vilas. Deer season contractors won’t schedule anything inside or out and usually snows anyway by then. Good luck with your build. 👍
Thanks Pete, It's a race but I am close to winning it.

pclark

Looks great pclark. Especially the hand! Same thing happened to me last week in Presque Isle and my hand swelled so bad my wife had to take me to Howard Young E.R. No problem breathing so no epi pen but the swell, pain and itch was incredible. Could not move my fingers or wrist for a few days. E.R. doc said that what he has seen is the older we get, the worse the reaction. Steroids and antihistamines cured me within a week. At least with the colder temps now the hornets/wasps seem to have disappeared. If I knew how to post pics here I could show a sausage hand that looked identical to yours.
Thanks RPH, it's getting there. A couple of years ago I started having reactions to bee stings and had to start using EPI Pens. Never in my life up to then was I bothered that much, just a little aloe on the sting and it usually went away pretty quick. Now I swell up pretty bad, but find that benadryl and EPI work. I agree the itching was terrible.

wiscrev

Thanks RPH, it's getting there. A couple of years ago I started having reactions to bee stings and had to start using EPI Pens. Never in my life up to then was I bothered that much, just a little aloe on the sting and it usually went away pretty quick. Now I swell up pretty bad, but find that benadryl and EPI work. I agree the itching was terrible.
I got hit several times. Never swelled but it took 7-8 days before the itch finally went away---=-maddening.

pclark

I just finished putting on the drip edge up top today, scary on the high side, but got it done. Put the rest of the ice & water that I had in certain spots on the roof where I thought it should beef that up. I should be high and dry and the rain we get on Friday and Saturday should be the test. I moved somethings into the garage today like my log splitter and now I just need to get power into the garage from electrician who is overworked but will hopefully get me taken care of in the next 2 weeks.

euphoric1

looking good pclark! sorry to hear about bee sting, obviously the fact you have epi pen and used it and from looks of the hand you are allergic so thankfully it was only your hand. Whitedust and I were talking about the ill effects of getting bit by something around here this summer on the way to club meeting last night that I think are deer flies but as much as we were whining about it...LOL it is nothing like what your hand looks like, That view of the lake you have is one I could never tire of! Lucky you!!

pclark

looking good pclark! sorry to hear about bee sting, obviously the fact you have epi pen and used it and from looks of the hand you are allergic so thankfully it was only your hand. Whitedust and I were talking about the ill effects of getting bit by something around here this summer on the way to club meeting last night that I think are deer flies but as much as we were whining about it...LOL it is nothing like what your hand looks like, That view of the lake you have is one I could never tire of! Lucky you!!
We are fortunate and love it up here. I never was allergic to bee stings until a couple of years ago, go figure.

pclark

It's incredible to me to be doing a project like this and staying on schedule. I could do neither :)
When you do things yourself you control your own destiny but everything is also on you to make it happen. I probably worked every day of the last 56 days, most be all day until the sun went down so it's been a lot of hours. Would I do it again, not at my current age, if I was younger I would not hesitate to build my own, you have to have the time and luckily I have that. It's such a learning experience of the whole general contractor experience and being your own rough carpenter. Now I close things in and become a finish guy, shingles go on day after Halloween 11/1 and I will have someone do the facia and soffit work, electrician comes next week to hook up power, then the gas line gets run into the garage and it's furnace time. In between I start to insulate and pull wire.