So.......I started a project, My new Garage!

pclark

Looking dang good.
I really like how you were able to integrate the used cabinets. It's rare to see a shop with so much counter space. I'm a big fan of having plenty of work surface. I can stage multiple projects with room.
I'll give some input on the island plywood top. I have one in my shop and I use the space more than I expected. I ended up adding another layer of plywood that I glued and screwed tight to the original single layer. I was banging and whacking heavy stuff on the original and it wanted to bounce more than I liked. I also ended up adding a sacrificial layer of 3/4 MDF melamine on some of my bench space and the island because the softer woods dented so easily. The MDF melamine is hard but the laminate layer wears off with abuse. That stuff makes a fantastic surface for out feed tables on wood projects. Wood slides nicely and it's easy to clean.
Thanks for the advice on the surfaces. Still looking at some options to seal it.

pclark

I hope I'm missing something..
I see no beer fridge???
On the far right of the cabinet wall I have carefully measured a spot between the window and the cabinets under the half cabinet for the fridge, right now beer stays cold in what little snow we have just outside the door. Fridge will be moved up from my basement once we start on the house remodel.

pclark

I hope I'm missing something..
I see no beer fridge???
On the far right of the cabinet wall I have carefully measured a spot between the window and the cabinets under the half cabinet for the fridge, right now beer stays cold in what little snow we have just outside the door. Fridge will be moved up from my basement once we start on the house remodel.

rph130

Looks great Paul. Like Mezz said, I'm jealous. Is the floor just the concrete from the pour or did you do something to it? Looks nice.

goofy600

Paul that doesn’t look like a garage that was just built, it looks like you have been there for a while. Looks great will have to get that way sometime to see how the beer fridge fits.😁

pclark

Paul that doesn’t look like a garage that was just built, it looks like you have been there for a while. Looks great will have to get that way sometime to see how the beer fridge fits.😁
Thanks Jim, love have you visit.

pclark

Happy Super Bow! Sunday!, Not much else going on up here with the dismal winter tat we have had so far this season. Moving along getting things organized in the garage. Its nice to have a place to work inside in the winter that is heated, was able to change the oil in both vehicles and go through my maintenance routines especially on my 2007 Chevy Tahoe, it really appreciates the warm garage. Still stuff to put away but I have emptied my basement workshop and freed up that space as well as organized the rec room in the house where a lot of stuff was stored when we moved up here. I have also emptied my storage shed that we had as the weather has been very nice and I was able to trailer stuff over and not get road slop all over it. I finally figured out what to do with the surface on my island workbench, I used some old laminate flooring that I had and screwed it down over the nice 3/4" plywood so that it doesn't get ruined. The laminatte flooring is 5/16" thick and is made of MDF with a melomine wearlayer that has aluminum oxide in it, should be a very durable surface and it's very easy to clean with just spraying on cleaner and wiping off. Also got the gas cans and some other lawn care stuff organized on a shelving unit by the garage door. Was upstairs this week as it was warm and did a little more wiring and noting what i need to finish everything up there. That will be done this summer as Spring I have the siding to do. Enjoy the pictures and go Chiefs!
1707689133756.png
1707689152683.png
1707689176780.png
1707689222881.png

favoritos

Great idea with the flooring. It sounds like one of those better products that is super wear resistant. I have one area that looks like a similar product. I believe they called it Duraceramic, I know it's tough. You will enjoy the working surface and easy cleanup.

I don't have scraps of the harder product left around so I've been using left over LVP pieces as temporary working spots. It's not nearly as hard but it helps protect the surface. Most of the stuff I have also has a layer of foam rubber on the back. In my case the foam is helpful to keep it from sliding around since it's not attached.

pclark

Great idea with the flooring. It sounds like one of those better products that is super wear resistant. I have one area that looks like a similar product. I believe they called it Duraceramic, I know it's tough. You will enjoy the working surface and easy cleanup.

I don't have scraps of the harder product left around so I've been using left over LVP pieces as temporary working spots. It's not nearly as hard but it helps protect the surface. Most of the stuff I have also has a layer of foam rubber on the back. In my case the foam is helpful to keep it from sliding around since it's not attached.
I also have some LVT but opted for the laminate flooring instead. Both are flooring products and some of the most durable made today.

skiroule

Wow! Your shop looks just like mine...NOT.

Amazing work and organization. Must feel pretty good to be at this point in the project.

pclark

Wow! Your shop looks just like mine...NOT.

Amazing work and organization. Must feel pretty good to be at this point in the project.
Thanks Skiroule, coming from you that is a nice compliment. I feel good about where I am but still lots of things to do. Will keep updating throughout 2024 but the heavy lifting is done except for siding in the Spring.

pclark

Darren, man the weather has been so nice lately. I started laying up some firewood for next fall, had to move my shorestations up a little because of the ice getting crazy, and……just got back from a great visit with my very pregnant daughter who is about 4 weeks away from delivering a little boy. Life is good! This is boring stuff but I have been going through a lot of my boxes of garage stuff that was in storage and organizing it, big stuff for me. I was upstairs last week and started to visualize getting that done, finishing the wiring, Drywalled, and floored. Also getting ready to order the siding. I also cleared out my offsite storage shed and now have everything on premises, a very good feeling about that.
We got home today about 4:30pm and it was beautiful out, finished up putting up some baby gates on the stairs and hung shelves and pictures in the little guys nursery, he has a great little room to grow up in. We will obviously be spending some time in Naperville after the baby is born so will be fitting garage updates in as they are completed. Will try and send some new pictures soon as I’m back for a few weeks and have a full list of things that need to be done.

Reactions: C W

dfattack

Darren, man the weather has been so nice lately. I started laying up some firewood for next fall, had to move my shorestations up a little because of the ice getting crazy, and……just got back from a great visit with my very pregnant daughter who is about 4 weeks away from delivering a little boy. Life is good! This is boring stuff but I have been going through a lot of my boxes of garage stuff that was in storage and organizing it, big stuff for me. I was upstairs last week and started to visualize getting that done, finishing the wiring, Drywalled, and floored. Also getting ready to order the siding. I also cleared out my offsite storage shed and now have everything on premises, a very good feeling about that.
We got home today about 4:30pm and it was beautiful out, finished up putting up some baby gates on the stairs and hung shelves and pictures in the little guys nursery, he has a great little room to grow up in. We will obviously be spending some time in Naperville after the baby is born so will be fitting garage updates in as they are completed. Will try and send some new pictures soon as I’m back for a few weeks and have a full list of things that need to be done.
thank you for the update. looking forward to the summer pics with siding and interior garage updates. I know the feeling on having everything onsite vs offsite. Good for you.

Airman68

pclark... Just discovered this. Beautiful garage! Very inspiring! I hope to have one myself someday. I am limited by my lot and it needs to be attached to my house. Might be 15 x 40 with a partial second floor when all said and done. I'll look forward to looking back at your build.