Stay off the lakes in northern Wisconsin !!!!!

Attak man

Yes chords...swamps have gasses, and various factors that effect how they freeze up...I have seen where even in the coldest winters...some swamps remain wide open...however if you pack them down...they tend to freeze up tight....if you don't pack them, the snow will insulate it on the top, and they never really freeze down.....ever notice on a lake where the sleds have a trail packed...it's tight, and solid....but just off the trail you see slush??...same principle in swamps (except swamps are usually shallower, and can have gasses that effect ice making)

attack_06

Ummm....you don't understand how grooming works do you?? If you don't pack the swamps...they don't freeze....you have to run them first with sleds, and then get a big heavy groomer in there, to really get it packed...then they will freeze down tight...and yes...sometimes the groomer breaks through...it happens...breaking through doesn't always cause problems (on swamps)...in fact sometimes breaking through will cause that area to freeze up more quickly....not sure why you would make the above comment??
I understand perfectly what the job does for the trail to freeze faster what you guys don't understand is with a start to the winter like we've had you don't take a $150,000 dollar machine that weighs 20 thousand pounds and drive it into a swamp before its froze enough to support the weight and then post pics on social media crying cuz you broke thru and wonder how your going to get it out and how much more money it's going to cost to get it out hence the stupidity of some people and the clubs that did it and for your info I have way more experience getting heavy equipment out of wet areas than you could ever dream of as I grew up,in agriculture so the hours are already under my belt buddy

- - - Updated - - -

You have much to learn young man........
No I don't you missed the point

longtrack

I think any Club or Groomer that has put their Machine on a Swamp this year is no smarter than someone who is out on a Lake with a Sled.

I packed my Trail section last weekend and the Swamps were so wet they wouldn't hold up my Sled. Also my Section has Water where I never had Water before. So really why would anyone drive a Groomer on a Swamp this year.

I have dropped a groomer in a Swamp before and it was after many nights of below zero weather and packing the Swamp before hand. So this is not going to get much better with this little cold snap that is in the forecast.

Swampy

Went out this morning and checked a few swamps that we had packed (water skipped) with sleds around the Tomahawk area. They had so much water in them that after last night they are freezing up nicely!! At least we don't have to worry about any sleds getting stuck in them. We just might have to groom in and turn around for a while this year but it's lookin' up. Looking like a possibility of getting the northern area of Lincoln Co. open for next weekend. Don't quote me on this but will keep you updated.
There is ride-able snow out there so at least we can get more sleds out there packing.

GO PACK!!!!

3_old_jags

Swampy what are your thoughts on having the trail open from Boomba to Somo Beach this weekend?
I can taste one of Bob and T's famous burgers

Swampy

Just took the groomer out today and crashed through some smaller spots and panned what I could up that way. Don't know what good it will do with the cold and all the moisture gone out of the snow but I did manage to fill some holes anyway. I only made it across Hwy 8 to the North because there's a bad swamp further north that I didn't want to chance yet. The trail is pretty good North of there anyway.

Lincoln County Snowmobile Counsel is meeting tomorrow night and will decide if they will open this weekend. Rumor has it right now that they will still open up on Friday morning. I will let you know if it's the northern zone or the whole county but regardless you will be able to get one of Bob's awesome burgers... Gates are open. lol See you at da Beach!