Stay off the lakes in northern Wisconsin !!!!!

Attak man

4 sleds and counting...have now gone through the ice in the past 3 days in northern Wisconsin (a 58 year old man has died near Rhinelander)....the rule of thumb is...if the club has not marked it...do not go on it!!!!

Trails are open in northern Wisconsin (in some areas)...conditions vary from poor to good...most areas have a base of 3 to 8 inches...swamps are open in some areas...and you may find other water holes...that big swamp between manitowish and manitowish waters is wide open, and that trail is closed (it's rerouted)

Becareful out there....I know everybody is itching to ride...but nobody needs to die...again...STAY OFF THE ICE!!!

attack_06

It just boggles my mind the amount of stupid people out on the ice this year knowing the way the weathers been this year not to mention the idiots in heavy groomers driving them in swamps and low wet areas

LoveMyDobe

and golf courses

People went thru the Course at Telemark in Cable, it was clearing marked to stay off.

TD Max

I've been told that there are tracxks all over Lake Minocqua. There was open water less than week ago and people are going through smaller lakes. :rolleyes:

Drove past lake Minocqua on Wednesday...open water all over. Drove by on Saturday morning and it is all tracked up. Can not believe that someone did not go thru. Ice still very dark. Can't believe someone didn't go thru.

sledder01

I am still amazed that people take their $8-12K sleds out in these conditions--I know WE ARE ALL READY TO GO---but I don't care what you say--the trails are Junk and I couldn't even imagine riding the lakes right now----Take a deep breath--I would bet in 2 weeks we will see so much better conditions and also MORE ICE...

attak man... how long would you assume before the lakes are safe especially if the cold spell occurs? I know you can never really tell, but because you give honest reports and if you were to speculate say Lake Alice? Do you think they might get marked as early as next week? Is that wishful thinking? Maybe more like end of Jan.? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks Again!
P.S. also in your humble opinion how much snow is needed in your area before the trails are rideable?

sjb

I was asked today if Lake Winnebago was good to ride on. I am not sure if he is crazy or stupid. Open water 2 days ago that I could see from my house.

Attak man

attak man... how long would you assume before the lakes are safe especially if the cold spell occurs? I know you can never really tell, but because you give honest reports and if you were to speculate say Lake Alice? Do you think they might get marked as early as next week? Is that wishful thinking? Maybe more like end of Jan.? Would love to hear your thoughts!
Thanks Again!
P.S. also in your humble opinion how much snow is needed in your area before the trails are rideable?

If we get the expected cold weather..(lows near zero, and below zero..with highs in the single digits and teens)...Sunday through Thursday of next week...I would think some lakes might be ride able by next Saturday (1/16)..BUT...never ride a lake unless it's marked..as far as snow goes...we only have a base of 3-7 inches in my area...so we would need a good 4-8 to have good riding. The forecasted cold weather will do wonders for the lakes, and swamps...especially since we don't have a heavy blanket of snow insulating them right now...just gotta wait it out, and see what happens the next week or so

Tankjo

Thanks Again!

formula !!! I mark the Lake Alice lake trail and untill monday there was still open water by the cty rd A bridge (1/6/16) in front of my place we will not mark the lake untill WE KNOW IT'S SAFE!! my guess if this cold weather lasts MAYBE by next weekend lets hope for cold!

Just drilled my first hole. The pond made 2" in three days, that chart is pretty spot on for making ice. But every body of water is different; current, springs, snow cover, vegetation and soil type all play into the ice quality.

Attak man

It just boggles my mind the amount of stupid people out on the ice this year knowing the way the weathers been this year not to mention the idiots in heavy groomers driving them in swamps and low wet areas

Ummm....you don't understand how grooming works do you?? If you don't pack the swamps...they don't freeze....you have to run them first with sleds, and then get a big heavy groomer in there, to really get it packed...then they will freeze down tight...and yes...sometimes the groomer breaks through...it happens...breaking through doesn't always cause problems (on swamps)...in fact sometimes breaking through will cause that area to freeze up more quickly....not sure why you would make the above comment??

chords

" Based on 8 years of data from Wisconsin, booze was involved in 85% of snowmobile deaths on lakes and rivers. The average blood alcohol concentration for impaired riders was 0.19% (hammered).

Nice touch from the writer

Is that really true swamps dont freeze