Summer Vintage Projects 2013

Bradzoo

Great Job everyone. I really enjoy seeing so many people put in so much hard work on some old iron. Keep them alive and keep enjoying it.

Also at the Monticello vintage snowmobile show. There is cash prizes for the top sleds! Bring those Vintage sleds to the show and show off your work. Win some money and trophy. There is also free door prizes that will be given away. Polaris snowmobile, One week stay at island park cabins (worth 1,900) and more.

Monticello mn Frostbite snowmobile show!! Check it out. Last years winner was a Rupp

Would really like to but mine probably won't be done by then, its coming to the season where I would rather be riding than restoring.

Adam, just let me know if you change your mind and need an excuse I've had some pretty good ones over the year!!!

Bradzooooo

Bradzoo

Just say'n they are out there Adam, these would be some nice ones to get

For Sale: 1972 640 and 775 Ski-doo T'nt's
Posted By: Jared Time Posted: 2013-11-09 20:21:47
Phone: 716 537 3476

Selling a couple project sleds. 2 1972 Ski-doo T'nt's. One is a 640cc & the other is a 775cc. Both have bogie suspensions. Both have the correct tags and the correct carbs. The 775 is pretty much complete, the motor does not turn over but the frame is solid, track is good and it is a great sled to restore. The 640 isn't as nice as the 775.(In the pictures, it's the one with the stickers on the windshield) The 640 is not complete, the frame has a couple holes in it, track is fair-good, and the engine is all apart. With the 640, I am throwing in 3 extra 640 parts motors and another tank too. I'm asking $650 for the 775 and $350 for the 640 or $850 for both. Selling both as is. Call 716-537-3476 or email. Thanks.

Bradzooo

snoluver1

Boy, your just itching to see me get into trouble, ain't ya! Lol!

Do me a favor Brad, keep your eyes peeled for the add that says - "Free, please come get this piece of crap out of my barn" ;)

skiroule

Got the clutches put back together. A little cleaning and lube and I think they are ready to go. Ended up using both clutches off the 77 440 parts sled as they were in much better shape than the original ones on the 79. They do have some battle scars (as Adam would call it, patina).

Clutches_zpsa205739a.jpg

Have to confess, I’m in semi-panic mode. Picking up the engine in just a few days and I can’t say I’m ready for it. This is the current state of the under-hood stuff.

Not_Quite_Readay_zps093398ac.jpg

Bradzoo

Lookin good Kelly, I still haven't got back to work on mine, deer season starts on friday so it might be a while yet.

Bradzoo

snoluver1

Looking great Kelly. Heck, I'd say that engine compartment is pretty darn close to needing a motor, but I also know how long some of the "little" stuff can take! See ya soon.

skiroule

I temporarily bolted in the motor plate last night and test fit the 77 440 engine using an old hood. Man is that engine shoe-horned in there! I new it was tight but I guess I'd forgotten how tight. The 440 engine is about an inch taller than the 340's so there's probably less than inch of clearance between the plug wire connectors and the hood. Another inch and they're back to cylinders through the hood (which I think still looks cool).

Don't deer hunt anymore but I do have "Dear?..........." season, which seems to be a year-round thing.

skiroule

Met up with Snoluver1 this weekend to pick up the engine. Not only got the engine but got to talk sledding until the wee hours of the morning. It was a great way to kick off the season. Maybe we’ll make it an annual event and yes, Brian the cabin owner can come too.

And some engine it is. I’m pretty sure that when I pulled the lid of the crate after I got home I heard a choir of angels sing. The best part is that the really good stuff is inside.

Motor_Head_zps49fd6a08.jpg

Rebuilt the fuel pump tonight and started hanging some stuff back on the engine. Hope to have it installed and fuel/electrical hooked up by Thanksgiving.

snoluver1

I sure hope so Brad. I'm not sure who is more excited to see that thing run, me or Kelly! Lol

I think our pre-season meeting really got me motivated. Been hitting it hard on the maintenance stuff ever since I got back. I suppose it could have something to do with a new to me sled sitting in the garage, and a first time western trip with my oldest boy coming up in short order. A trip that would not be happening were it not for Kelly making me an offer I couldn't refuse!

Ps kelly,
the preview shot looks great!!!

skiroule

I suppose it could have something to do with a new to me sled sitting in the garage, and a first time western trip with my oldest boy coming up in short order.

Wish I could go on that trip. You could teach us both how to ride in the mountains.

Last week I started tearing down the 38mm carbs that came with the sled and immediately ran into another hack-job (this sled had plenty). Probably could have scrounged up some used parts but after thinking about it I decided this engine deserved better so I just took a few deep breaths and clicked “Submit Order”.

It was a good call. A nice set of 38’s is definitely something to admire.

38s_zps80b3d1fc.jpg

Did get some work done after this shot was taken. Got the throttle and choke cables all hooked up.

Bradzoo

Dang Kelly that thing looks sweet, are you sure your not making a show sled outta this one!!!

Adam, I'm pretty sure the sled you got will be in tiptop shape knowing Kelly, when are you heading west, we're headed to the Running Bear the day after Christmas hopefully the snow will show up by then

Bradzooooo

D

Deleted member 10829

Nope, he's gonna sell it to me! ;)

Man, what a sweet looking engine!

snoluver1

Wish I could go on that trip. You could teach us both how to ride in the mountains.

Your more than welcome to join us if you like. You have a few years experience on me, I'm sure you could teach this young pup some old tricks...........Not that your old of course!

snoluver1

Adam, I'm pretty sure the sled you got will be in tiptop shape knowing Kelly, when are you heading west, we're headed to the Running Bear the day after Christmas hopefully the snow will show up by then

Bradzooooo

I'll tell ya Brad, that Summit is so clean I have a hard time believing it was ever ridden! Seriously looks like it just rolled off the dealership floor!!! I'm kind of embarrassed to say, my sled is 6 years newer and looks 10 years older.

Headed out to the Snowies Dec 7th with my 16 year old for his first mountain trip. Getting pretty pumped!

skiroule

Thanks guys but no show sled here! These are such good riders I guess I’d rather be riding it than showing it. It’s funny though, it seems like you gradually start doing things you never planned on.

Hopefully it’s a sign that I’m putting some effort into the project: I go in for my annual biometric screening at work today and when screener went to draw a little finger blood she says: “Is your other hand any cleaner?” No Ma’am, you’re holding the clean one. You’re really not going to like the other one.

By the way, according to screening standards I’m officially obese (BMI = 31). If I really work at it, I can move into the simply overweight category.

Aligned the skis tonight – probably will need some tweaking but at least they're a lot closer than my first rough estimate.

Last edited:

skiroule

Skiroule , that thing is just looking awsome... where did you find the paint for it if you don't mind me asking

Thanks! I was out of town for the weekend but was able to get back at it tonight and get a few more things done.

I’ve been getting my paint from Vintage Sled Paint http://www.vintagesledpaint.com/ for a couple of years now. In fact, I just received a can of aerosol today in the mail. He sells a good product and considering price of paint these days, I think his prices are pretty reasonable.

I’ve used both the aerosol and quarts with good results (unless I screwed up). I tried the ready to spray quarts on the chassis this time and was really happy with it. Quick and easy – pour it in a measuring container, add some hardener, mix, and spray.

I used the 75 – 80 Midnight Blue and I think it’s a dead ringer for the original color. If you ever do order from Dennis, allow a couple of weeks for delivery. That’s about what it has taken for my orders.