Summer Vintage Projects 2013

skiroule

It Looks Like it's a Go

Finally made some smoke today. Engine sounds excellent and it took a lot of willpower to follow the break-in instructions and stay off the throttle. Adam is the man!

It is indeed a Happy Thanksgiving.

Fire_1_zpsa1b1fa46.jpg

Decided to go with K&N's. While I'm often guilty of blowing a lot of hot air, I'm not too worried about the engine sucking a lot of hot air. There is a lot of airflow through that hood. I will put Sno Chargers on before I ride it in the snow.

Fire_2_zps134ed310.jpg

Just needs a hood (and a few other things) now.

Fire_3_zps873ce04b.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

I am so impressed! I wish I had the talent to do it. Man that engine looks great from the front with the hood off! Mean looking and beautiful at the same time! It sure looks a bit different from the first pictures posted. :)

A Happy Thanksgiving for sure. Nice job!!

skiroule

Mark, my strategy is to get help from the really talented people like Adam and Brad for the tough stuff and then take all the credit. It’s an approach I used with considerable success for years at work. I guess that could be considered a talent, although some might have other words for it.

There’s no victory dance here yet. Of the 130 or so odd items I put on the list in September, I have about 8 – 10 things left but it seems like that last 5% is the hardest on any project, sleds or otherwise.

skiroule

Did get a few more percent done with the hood. Lacking Brad’s body working skills and running out of time I took the logical approach: I cheated - took a drive out to Recreational Engineering and picked up a hood. I figure if you’re going to cheat, you might as well make it worthwhile. I think their hoods are best on the market. Already painted with the correct scheme for the year, holes are drilled, and all openings are cut and routered.

Hood_1_zps42a5bf58.jpg

I did glass in the hood latches though. I suppose these could have been fastened with rivets but I like the cleaner look that you get without the rivets in the hood.

Hood_2_zps59544ef9.jpg

Once the glass is cured, add the windshield, headlight grille, hood hinge and a little bling and you have a 79 hood.

Hood_3_zpsfa3adb17.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 10829

Seems like the logical choice to me too! It looks great. Can't wait to see it all together soon and maybe a neat video again this winter? :)

Bradzoo

Looks GREAT Kelly!!! Time really hasn't been my friend lately, ended up working all weekend, 10 on friday, 6 on sat. then my friends memorial service, and 10 more today, no deer this year either, I still have Kellys sled to get ready for snow, I did get a whole Nitrogen set up so I can start rebuilding and recharging shocks, with 4 sleds running premium shocks it was costing me a small fortune just to get them recharged let alone rebuilt.

Bradzoo

jr37

That looks awesome, Kelly. Sure wish I had the time and funds to stick into my Sidewinder, to make it look as good as yours. You have got to be proud of a job well done.

skiroule

I think you guys touched on the keyword “Time”. Yes, depending on the level of restoration a person chooses, it can get fairly spendy but time is the precious commodity. Looking back, I’m amazed that some things have taken so long. Of course, one has to consider my working pace (visualize watching paint dry).

It’s weird, but seeing the sled every day, I don’t think much about the changes since it was started but it is starting to hit home that it will be finished sometime soon.

I’d love to do another vintage sled tour this year with the 440 but that’s highly dependent on how the year (and money) unfolds. In any case, I'm definitely looking forward to that first ride.

skiroule

First Ride Checked Off

Last night I re-torqued the heads, adjusted the track, and filled the chaincase. Since those were the last three items on my checklist I guess I can say my “Summer” Vintage Project 2013 is finished.

Working a little later shift today so it gave me a chance to get a few pics in the natural light before putting it up in its spot in the stable. Of course, I couldn’t resist taking a few rips up and down the street. All I can say is that this thing is quick! It will be a blast to ride.

Done_1_zpsd69a47d2.jpg

Done_2_zps3caea108.jpg

Done_3_zpsf55bf0bb.jpg

With the holiday season and all, I thought a family photo was also in order.

Family_Photo_zps3cf0b315.jpg

D

Deleted member 10829

Perfection! A job well done. You must feel great to have that done and very proud of the way it turned out!

Now I want an extended family picture, these 2 TX's, the Assault and the RMK. :)

skiroule

Thanks for the votes of confidence guys! From day one, you guys have been a constant source of encouragement. I have no doubt that it made a difference in my progress. Plus, it’s especially rewarding to know there are vintage fans out there. These sleds represent a time in my sledding history that is becoming increasingly special as I pile up the years.

Fortunately for me, this project really became a team effort. There were stretches where Brad and I talked almost daily and the advice, information, and motivation he provided often made the difference between frustration and success, not to mention the parts he shipped me that made my build so much easier. All I have to do to measure Adam’s contribution is hit the throttle. If he actually charged something for his work I think he could make some money, but I have to say I thought his engine building was un-beatable until I tasted his sauce recipe. Now it’s a toss-up.

My wife has been pretty tolerant of my vintage activities but when informed that I was pretty much done with the 440, she asked “ is this it now?”. You could have cut the silence with a knife. The conversation quickly moved on.

Bradzoo

They look GREAT together Kelly excellent job my friend excellent job!! Now you can come over and help finish mine!!!

Bradzoooooooo

D

Deleted member 10829

Lots of time and effort!

Kelly,

Any idea how many hours you put into this build? I'm sure it's hard to keep track of them all.

skiroule

They look GREAT together Kelly excellent job my friend excellent job!! Now you can come over and help finish mine!!!

Bradzoooooooo

Believe me, there have been many times I wished we at least lived on the same side of the lake. Not sure how much help I would be though, unless you had a beverage overstock problem. I have no doubt you’ll be riding it this winter, even without my help.

It is hard to say about the hours Mark. It’s probably a bad idea to keep track as you go. I’d guess somewhere in the 300 – 400 hour range for this project, not including Adam’s hours on the engine. I had considerably fewer hours on the 340 but now I wish I had taken more time and done some extra mechanical things while I was at it.

Samc, I don’t know if you’ll be checking back here but if so, are you hitting Waconia this year? I think I might be back in town that weekend so am going to do my best to make it.