Tax info on sleds

jasono

My question is related to sales tax. I plan to trade in a sled. In MI, they are telling me that I have to pay tax on the price of the new sled, not the difference of the trade in. Is this true? How about in IL? I purchased a truck recently in IL and only paid tax on the difference of the trade.

whitedust

WI tax on total deal only whatever that would be minus your trade in. This does not sound right but not sure in MI.

famousguy

You will need to pay the tax on the price of the new one.

Are you sure about that on your truck?? You may want to look at your paperwork. There was a mistake made there somewhere.

zrjes

Michigan does not give you any credit for your trade in, you pay the tax on the full price of the new purchase.

In Illinois they give you credit for your trade, and you only pay tax on the difference.

Stack

D

Deleted member 10829

I've worked with this type of thing for years, mostly in MN and WI, but you only pay tax on the trade difference. MI may be different, but I would check with the DMV and see what they say. States are looking for every chance they can to increase revenues, so you never know.

famousguy

Wow, you guys in MN,Il, and Wi get all the breaks.

Michigan, you pay it on the full purchase price on the new vehicle.

frnash

<font color="0000ff">famousguy:
"Michigan, you pay it on the full purchase price on the new vehicle."</font>
That and if you buy the vehicle out of state, Michigan still expects to get their piece of the action as a use tax. Or at least that yoosta be the case. (Still true?)

famousguy

frnash

I think that if you buy it out of state, and then register it in Michigan, you have to pay the Michigan Sales Tax when you register it.

nitroman

<font color="ff0000">I purchased my sled new from Kalamazoo MI (Leaders Marine)I live in Iowa, no sales tax and Iowa didn't charge me either.</font>

famousguy

nitroman

Have you registered it in Iowa yet?

I know that in Michigan, they do not have to charge the sales tax to non residents if they ship the item out of state. Did they ship it to you or did you pick it up in Michigan?

blutooth

I have purchased 2 sleds from a Michigan dealership. I am a Wisconsin resident. Both times I did not pay any sales or use tax in Michigan. i paid the tax when I registered the sled in Wisconsin.

I bought my last sled about a year ago, so unless something changed since then, I would think something is a little goofy...

The same scenario applied to my buddy who bought a car in IL. You pay the sales tax where you live when you title the vehicle.

The only difference might be if IL doesn't title snowmobiles?

Blutooth

mustsled2

I just bought two sled's in mn. Sales tax was exempt, but I will be paying sales tax in illinois at time of registration.

polarisrider1

I bought a new sled in Saint Paul, Minn. paid no sales tax. Got it home and paid the tax. I asked, "What if I paid the tax in Saint Paul". The Secretary of State office said, "To bad, you pay again here, if you live in Michigan and register it here in Michigan you pay the tax." Then I said, "What if I bought it on Ebay and had it shipped here?" She said, "Prove it. If it has a registration it gets taxed. Would you like to speak to your governor? I have her address. NEXT." And this is how you get treated as they take your money.

polarisrider1

I bought a new sled in Saint Paul, Minn. paid no sales tax. Got it home and paid the tax. I asked, "What if I paid the tax in Saint Paul". The Secretary of State office said, "To bad, you pay again here, if you live in Michigan and register it here in Michigan you pay the tax." Then I said, "What if I bought it on Ebay and had it shipped here?" She said, "Prove it. If it has a registration it gets taxed. Would you like to speak to your governor? I have her address. NEXT." And this is how you get treated as they take your money.

harvest1121

If you pay tax in one state there is a form to transfer the tax. I bought my snowmobile in Indiana and I had forms so I could register in Illinois and they would get the tax money. Well Illinois wanted so many things and stuff signed I called Wisconson and just registered it there. It shows you want to give them money and you have to jump through hoops.

sjshaner

This is all about NEW sleds. If you buy a USED sled from a private party, in Illinois you don't pay ANY tax when you register it.

ezra

also if you buy a non current in WI and play your cards right in MN you go in and say you bought a 06 so and so in WI and need to get MN reg and trail stickers done deal {not that I would skirt the tax code but I have seen it done a few times the smaller the DVM the better] I recommend wayzata

two_tone

What if I bought and paid taxes on a sled in Indiana and want to register it in Michigan, would they want me to pay the trade in difference when I registered? I am an Indiana resident also..

famousguy

two_tone

In Michigan, Trade In has nothing to do with it at all. You pay sales tax on the entire price of the vehicle.

I believe that if you register it in Michigan, they will make you pay sales tax on the price you paid for it even if you already paid sales tax in another state.