The Day Snowmobiling Stopped

groomerdriver

By Randy Toth -

(copied and pasted from the Snowmobile Association of Massachusetts website)

One chilly fall day in the not too distant future, as you prepare for the upcoming snowmobiling season, you will remember that you have not received your state association magazine yet. Muttering something derogatory, you go to the state association’s website only to find a notation from the ISP (Internet Service Provider) that the domain name is now available for sale to any interested parties. Huh?

You call up a friend and ask “What’s up with the state association?” He informs you that last spring they announced that they were disbanding due to lack of volunteer support. “Well exactly what did they ever do for me?” you say. Then you call one of your local club officers only to find that no one volunteered to run for club office and that the current president and vice president had retired and moved south. Your club has also disbanded and sold your grooming equipment to an out of state club and donated the remaining club money to charity. Your buddy says that the club two towns over is still active and he has joined there, so you decide that you will join there also. He then mentions that the dues have gone way up since the state association is no longer around to provide some much needed grooming money.

You decide you had better go to a club meeting to find out what’s really happening. The club meeting holds a few surprises for you as they discuss their huge loss of former friendly landowners. Apparently when they found out that they were no longer covered by the state association sponsored liability insurance, they immediately revoked permission to ride on their land. You also find out that you can no longer ride from one state property to another because of the lack of private landowner connector trails. “OK,” you say, “I will just ride in my local state forest then.” Of course without your old local club there is no grooming or snowmobile trail maintenance in your local state forest. There is still riding there but only on about 15 miles of unmaintained and ungroomed trails. Furthermore, you no longer have riding access to any food or gas because those connector trails were located on private land.

The next day you read in the paper that snowmobiles are being banned on a number of state lands due to damage caused by wheeled vehicles. Incredibly, no one attended any of the planning meetings and spoke up and defended snowmobiling – which have virtually no negative impact on trails. With no organized opposition, snowmobiles were simply banned along with wheeled vehicles. There is also a notice that an environmental group is fighting hard to pass a state law banning all internal combustion engines on state land to protect the health of native miniature snails. Who do you turn to? “I’ll just call my local representative or senator,” you decide. The call goes something like “Hi, I’m Joe and I like to snowmobile so you need to help me.” The response is something like, “Thank you for calling to express your opinion, we will tell your representative or senator that you called – what organization did you say you were representing?” Now you start to sweat and remember having heard about how to approach your representative or senator from your state association, and you realize that your encounter didn’t just go as you had planned. Ok, so you and your friends decide your club should hire a lobbyist. Now, just how will you find one and pay for her? Your club will just have to raise lots of money – somehow. Of course you always voted against dues increases on principle in the past. You then remember that in the past, revenue from the state association’s trail passes and Sno-Expo helped fund these key access-related activities. Furthermore, many of your friends said they weren’t going to even join the club until there was rideable snow on the ground, because they remember a year in the past when there wasn’t much snow.

You call some likeminded friends and you all agree to organize to fight these injustices, but you have no clue how to begin. You also start to experience that sinking feeling that it might already be too late. You want to turn to the guys who have always maintained and groomed the trails for help. Did you know the average age of an active three-man trail crew in the western part of the state, who maintains snowmobile trails on a very large tract of state land now, is over 70 years old? No answer when you call. You call your friend back only to learn that two of the three have retired from trail work and the other is no longer around. Now what? Where are all of the younger folks who were supposed to take over? You then cringe at the thought that you personally have said many times, “I’ll help when I get around to it,” but you never did.

Well, you can always drive to nearby states where they used to have large trail systems. Maybe they’re still in operation?

To get your mind off of this mess, you then decide to drive out of state to attend a snow show. Your wife reminds you that with gas prices at $6 a gallon you can’t afford to, since you will need to save the money to go snowmobiling. OK, you decide to go to the smaller snow show in your own state. Darn! – the lack of volunteers and support caused it to fold a couple of years ago. Remember how you and your friends said that there were bigger and better shows elsewhere, so why should you support your local one?

If you think that this scenario can’t happen, just sit back, put your feet up, do nothing and wait. It may now be later than you think!

Perhaps someone will be kind enough to send me an email in Florida and tell me how it all turns out. Meanwhile, I’ll be out riding around Tampa Bay on my personal watercraft and volunteering with the senior section of the local Personal Watercraft Club. Happy Riding!

(Oh this can't happen here can it? Oh no way...right?)

ezra

pretty much sums it up.
IMHO if u own a sled and are not at minimum a paying member in your local club or the club where u ride most U are a worthless p o s . just my opinion

skidont

I groom , put up the signs and put out fires when someone trespasses . It is sad only about 20 of our 80+ members actually help

slimcake

Agreed none of the young guys even join the club anymore. Most of the guys besides myself and a handful of other guys in their thirties are all in retirement age. For god sakes my grand father in law at the age of 80 does more work than anybody under the age of 25. Our club has over 240 miles worth of trails to take care of and no one joins Club well no young guys anyways. Fighting to keep our trails open through private land and cutting trees bulldozing rocks putting up signs and for what? Just so some young punks can trust pass when we finally do get snow? Rant over.

snocrazy

So true.... the small amount of people out there doing all the work now are not going to do it forever.
Not only the physical work but all of the paperwork. There is so much more to it all that you never see.

jr37

That is a very well written story. I think that it should be included in everyones sled registration when they receive it. But, the ones that need to hear it the most probably will just brush it off as "just a story". To bad more people don't see that it could be a reality in the future.

I also found this story and shared it on my FB page and our clubs page. The more people that see this story the better.

Last edited:

momoney2123

Agreed none of the young guys even join the club anymore. Most of the guys besides myself and a handful of other guys in their thirties are all in retirement age. For god sakes my grand father in law at the age of 80 does more work than anybody under the age of 25. Our club has over 240 miles worth of trails to take care of and no one joins Club well no young guys anyways. Fighting to keep our trails open through private land and cutting trees bulldozing rocks putting up signs and for what? Just so some young punks can trust pass when we finally do get snow? Rant over.

Not all young guys.me and my buds all belong and did a lot of the heavy lifting for trail maintanence last year. But yea in general you maybe right.

Iowarider

I have noticed a lot of grey hair in pictures of people working on trails. Not to many young people working with them. It makes me wonder how long this will continue being the case. Who are the first on the trails when there is snow on the ground? I know my riding days are a few more years from the end, but I will still do my part to keep going on.

ezra

also just a fyi to all the old guys in clubs out there . don't treat the few young guys who come in as just the help. I have been in clubs and at many meetings checking out what other guys do. I can tell u the good old boys /old guard put your time in WILL NOT FLY with the young guys. banning or talking chit about they toys they like (snowbikes)
give them real responsibility soon like a trail captain of a section that is there's to maintain. we have highschool kids in charge of sections . they get there buds out to help even if not in the club . just get them involved . try to work with the local school to get a trail to the school put a kid in charge of that trail . get the school on board with only club members allowed to park a sled on school grounds. put 1 on your board for sure not even a question if available . they are your best promoters to others like them. also get one in charge of social media U know U sure chit are yrs behind the ball in that dept . we have a few kids most stick around and most come back during school break after they ship off to collage to help out with marking when they can.
get them in at safety training make the old man buy the membership to your club putting on safety training.
your club has more money than help right? let the young guys work off there dues with brushing marking etc . they would rather spend there cash on gas and loose women just like u when u were 16.
bring em with on day trips I call some of the highschool guys when a crew of us are headed up north for a day .
don't just see em as work horses get them actually involved.
not trying to preach just putting out things to think about

ezra

and just in case any of u Metro Minnesota guys have had enough family time day after thanksgiving come to
North west trails brushing day

hooking up at Mama G's at 9am morning after thanksgiving NOV 25th and splitting off from there in to brushing crews .
bring your self if u have a atv/ saw /poll saw/ lopper bring them with.

also more events while we are at it
Maple Plain Snomads Youth Snowmobile Safety Training
Sunday December 3, 2016
Independence City Hall
1920 County Road 90
Independence, MN 55359
Registration - Please arrive at 8:00 a.m.
Classroom Instruction 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Noon: Lunch/Snack provided
12:30 -3:30 Classroom test and driving test

also

The Snomads KICK OFF EVENT
DECEMBER 17 at Monies on Hwy. 12 in Maple Plain from 1-5 pm. Mark your calendars!

Raffle tickets, Door prizes, Music by Tom Reycraft Pulled Pork sandwiches by Monies for $5.
This is a great, fun, family event! And provides the majority of our club funds! Come, bring your family and friends!
If your business would like to donate a door prize, please e-mail snow@mpsnomads.com

http://www.mpsnomads.com/

jr37

also just a fyi to all the old guys in clubs out there . don't treat the few young guys who come in as just the help. I have been in clubs and at many meetings checking out what other guys do. I can tell u the good old boys /old guard put your time in WILL NOT FLY with the young guys. banning or talking chit about they toys they like (snowbikes)
give them real responsibility soon like a trail captain of a section that is there's to maintain. we have highschool kids in charge of sections . they get there buds out to help even if not in the club . just get them involved . try to work with the local school to get a trail to the school put a kid in charge of that trail . get the school on board with only club members allowed to park a sled on school grounds. put 1 on your board for sure not even a question if available . they are your best promoters to others like them. also get one in charge of social media U know U sure chit are yrs behind the ball in that dept . we have a few kids most stick around and most come back during school break after they ship off to collage to help out with marking when they can.
get them in at safety training make the old man buy the membership to your club putting on safety training.
your club has more money than help right? let the young guys work off there dues with brushing marking etc . they would rather spend there cash on gas and loose women just like u when u were 16.
bring em with on day trips I call some of the highschool guys when a crew of us are headed up north for a day .
don't just see em as work horses get them actually involved.
not trying to preach just putting out things to think about

Those are words our clubs need to live by. I am telling my club and the clubs in my county the same thing. We need to accept the youth or we will have no snowmobiling future. We don't need to agree with the way the youth act, or express themselves, these days. But we do need to accept them into our clubs. Why put all of the years of work into our sport, just to through it away because you don't agree with the new generation.

POLARISDAN

ok..good post groomer..the kick i needed..just paid the new kee club dues..

it says it only goes to tivioli, so who is the club by mass?

good posts ez..ill try and make it on the 17th..

but once again, the local clubs HAVE to welcome new members..not just to work the trails, but INCLUDE them on their rides and trips..guys my age no less and could not get in the mix.. so i finally said screw it..and spend my time in the UP now..(and found new pals on JD to ride with)..but i will send the dues in today because its local..

scoot

I've said this before, many, many times. You need to hook them while they're still youngsters. Give them a reason to put down their electronic gadgets. The sport and trail infrastructure has left the families behind years ago. I've lost count of the arguments on here about how slower traffic is not getting out of the way fast enough to satisfy some trail racer's snowmobile buzz. "I'll only brap them once or twice. If they dont pull over quick, then you better believe I'm so gonna pass them!" Did I even hear someone suggest that families and or two up sleds should only be allowed to ride within 25 miles of Eagle River? Its no wonder that my grown kids dont want our grandkids to continue in the sport.

Three words.
Trail speed limits.

ezra

but once again, the local clubs HAVE to welcome new members..not just to work the trails, but INCLUDE them on their rides and trips..guys my age no less and could not get in the mix.. so i finally said screw it..and spend my time in the UP now..(and found new pals on JD to ride with)..but i will send the dues in today because its local..

I agree with getting everyone involved in activity's . we send out a club blast when going for a day run . we have been debating a sat or Sunday deal where 1 guy is on the calendar every weekend diff guy of course but it is his gig if he is on calendar or fills with replacement . he/she shows at the club meeting place to lead a club ride every weekend we have snow or if no snow mail blast day before to where we are hooking up to drive to snow for the day.
the club trip is fine but lots of guys want to join just to have new guys to ride with for 1 reason or another. who care why they join just get em in the door and start getting them involved

POLARISDAN

I agree with getting everyone involved in activity's . we send out a club blast when going for a day run . we have been debating a sat or Sunday deal where 1 guy is on the calendar every weekend diff guy of course but it is his gig if he is on calendar or fills with replacement . he/she shows at the club meeting place to lead a club ride every weekend we have snow or if no snow mail blast day before to where we are hooking up to drive to snow for the day.
the club trip is fine but lots of guys want to join just to have new guys to ride with for 1 reason or another. who care why they join just get em in the door and start getting them involved

yea..my final frustration was you meet these guys at the meetings initially, guys you seem to hit it off with..same age same type of mentality, and for 3 years you keep finding out they would go up north and never contact you..i finally had enough and started blazing my own trail, which eventually led me to mass city where i spend most of the season

- - - Updated - - -

and after this thread..i looked for a link to the clubs on johns main page and there isnt any..so it might be a good idea to get links to the clubs in the UP on it..

Modman440

Me personally there is only two remaining riders in my family soon to be 3 with my wife. My uncle and i have looked into local Indiana clubs but we don't ride Indiana never really have. So my question is how do clubs in my neck of da yoop feel about guys who don't live there year round but are up almost every other weekend and multiple week stays as well. We both support and ride the trail systems but it seems like the few we have approached want to treat us like hired hands. Which is very frustrating to my uncle because he's just at the end of fully moving up north but has yet to sell there house here. So my next question with him soon being in the yoop full time what are some good clubs in trout lake dewberry area and second will they be open to not just my uncle but me only available to help late fall and attend meetings when in up there

Woodtic

Have your clubs membership form on PDF or some other downloadable form. Take PayPal or something along those lines. Nobody under 30 does snail Mail or owns a check book. You want members,make it easy to join for the younger folks. Put your club on FB and or Instagram.

mrbb

not sure if its just me, but I don't have any local snowmobile clubs near me, but wish I did
the club and trails I ride I am a member, but since I am so far away, I sadly don't get to meetings or to do trail work, because its so far away
I however have extended some offers with help of sorts
I have a skid steer, NO trailer, and I have offered to do work for free, IF they could get it there on a work weekend or??
I know this isn't the best offer in the world, but its the best I can do
to date I have never been contacted with anything!

But I would think a lot of members are this way, we would help more if we could, but distance can be a hard thing to get past , as driving there would kill more than half the day.
I do always buy anything they offer to help support what I can , as in raffle tickets and fund raiser donations of what I can swing

but agree 100% if we all don't stick together more, , we will all loose what we enjoy more and more as time goes by!