TIME TO CALL IT ?

attakman

Well....we got a surprise over night...woke up to 5 to 6 inches of wet snow in the Nokomis area....was only expecting an inch or two....nothing is open, and the lakes suck...coulda used this a month ago...but it's something...I can at least spin around my yard after work tonight

wisco-mb

Might have enough on Thursday for the 120 with an inch or 2 but won’t last long.
Our field survived👍 Probably had 2". He has off school on Fridays(4k) and I still kept my vacation day for our cancelled trip. He was out multiple times today, starting at 7:30am. He was so excited to finally ride! I told him we all live through his joy 🤣
Cold temps tonight and tomorrow. He'll have another day tomorrow. My buddies joked he has more miles than a lot of riders!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240216-192647~2.png
    Screenshot_20240216-192647~2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20240216-192716~2.png
    Screenshot_20240216-192716~2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 36

bayfly

I saw some pictures from the eastern UP today (Munising, Tahquamenon, Newberry). It appears they are grooming and there is riding to be had. Any reports from folks in those areas?

hermie

I saw some pictures from the eastern UP today (Munising, Tahquamenon, Newberry). It appears they are grooming and there is riding to be had. Any reports from folks in those areas?
They are definitely grooming and sounds more than rideable. I think we are going to head up to the Kee and give it a go. Saw a few pics and looks decent for what it is. Hopefully get more snow tonight. Looks better by Newberry but a 3 hour drive from St.Germain so the Kee it is

attakman

welp...once again we in northern Wisconsin are getting missed by the next system....a short blast of colder air the end of the week, which could give some rideable snow to the snowbelt areas to the north (Ironwood/Hurley).....then back into the 40s with the possibility of RAIN early to mid next week.......Just an ugly winter....smh

rph130

Just looked at 10 day forecast on my phone trying to determine if we stay in the Northwoods for a while or head back to Chicago. Driveway in Presque Isle getting near mud and by Tuesday the 27th, its 56 degrees. Park Ridge IL. showing 70 degrees on the 27th. As much as I dislike the city, maybe it's time to go home, cut the grass and open the pool. As soon as I leave the woods, you will probably get a few feet and I hope you do but for me, it's over.

whitedust

Just looked at 10 day forecast on my phone trying to determine if we stay in the Northwoods for a while or head back to Chicago. Driveway in Presque Isle getting near mud and by Tuesday the 27th, its 56 degrees. Park Ridge IL. showing 70 degrees on the 27th. As much as I dislike the city, maybe it's time to go home, cut the grass and open the pool. As soon as I leave the woods, you will probably get a few feet and I hope you do but for me, it's over.
At some point one has to realize this is a lost winter season with the current and long range forecasts. Plus lawns will need to be cut , boats pulled from storage and golf courses will open up so other things to do in Spring. With mud season moving in up north it’s not temporary winter never really caught hold this season and time to move on to other things look forward to next year.

dfattack

At some point one has to realize this is a lost winter season with the current and long range forecasts. Plus lawns will need to be cut , boats pulled from storage and golf courses will open up so other things to do in Spring. With mud season moving in up north it’s not temporary winter never really caught hold this season and time to move on to other things look forward to next year.
speaking of next year...I've already been thinking about it and man am I going to OD on riding! Big time!

attakman

Well....it's done.....I was informed by our club president that even if we get hammered with a big snow fall...WE WILL NOT BE OPENING THE TRAILS THIS YEAR....apparently a couple of clubs to our north have stated that they will NOT be opening, no matter what happens....and that pretty much does us in as we have to open as a county or not at all....it's not really their fault, but it does suck. In talking with our club president, the wet areas and swamps are toast...you could not cross any swamps at this time on our trail system, and the lakes are still not safe in spots. (and are not marked and will not be marked this year)....ice conditions have just been inconsistent this year....good in spots , bad in others...Also we have alot of private land owners, and with the ground not being frozen anymore, (soft and muddy) we can not afford riders tearing up private property...Every spring, we re sod, and replant grass for private land owners, where damage has occurred...it's getting expensive for the clubs to do this. But we do it every year. So you can pretty much cancel any future rides planned for this area and to the north of us....It's GAME OVER FOLKS!!
I've NEVER seen a year like this....Sure we've opened late before...but from the data I have found, we have never not opened the trails in northern Wisconsin, since our clubs have been in existence (which goes back over 50 years!!!)......Totally sucks, but it's out of our control....I guess we'll just look forward to next year:(:(:cry:

whitedust

Well....it's done.....I was informed by our club president that even if we get hammered with a big snow fall...WE WILL NOT BE OPENING THE TRAILS THIS YEAR....apparently a couple of clubs to our north have stated that they will NOT be opening, no matter what happens....and that pretty much does us in as we have to open as a county or not at all....it's not really their fault, but it does suck. In talking with our club president, the wet areas and swamps are toast...you could not cross any swamps at this time on our trail system, and the lakes are still not safe in spots. (and are not marked and will not be marked this year)....ice conditions have just been inconsistent this year....good in spots , bad in others...Also we have alot of private land owners, and with the ground not being frozen anymore, (soft and muddy) we can not afford riders tearing up private property...Every spring, we re sod, and replant grass for private land owners, where damage has occurred...it's getting expensive for the clubs to do this. But we do it every year. So you can pretty much cancel any future rides planned for this area and to the north of us....It's GAME OVER FOLKS!!
I've NEVER seen a year like this....Sure we've opened late before...but from the data I have found, we have never not opened the trails in northern Wisconsin, since our clubs have been in existence (which goes back over 50 years!!!)......Totally sucks, but it's out of our control....I guess we'll just look forward to next year:(:(:cry:
It’s the right thing to do and the same conditions that we face here in SE WI counties every year. It’s far better to close the snowmobile trails in marginal conditions than risk pissing off landowners if their land can be damaged due to warm temps. Long range forecast looks very warm so close up and look forward to next year and hope for the best. How long will counties north of Tomahawk continue to stay open with little to no snow without admitting this season is lost and over??

attakman

It’s the right thing to do and the same conditions that we face here in SE WI counties every year. It’s far better to close the snowmobile trails in marginal conditions than risk pissing off landowners if their land can be damaged due to warm temps. Long range forecast looks very warm so close up and look forward to next year and hope for the best. How long will counties north of Tomahawk continue to stay open with little to no snow without admitting this season is lost and over??
They actually threw in the towel before we did....and were one of the reasons we decided it's over....now things can certainly change...but as you said...looking at the long range forecast....there is no way in hell we are gonna open......However as everybody knows we always get snow in March and April...how much? you never know....but there's usually a BIG one or two with a foot plus...it's just too late this year, and it's been too warm...low snow is one thing, well above average temps is another...and we had BOTH this year...just a strange, strange winter.

xcr440

1981 comes to mind - but yeah, not sure we could have two more polar opposites of a winter in back to back years. Crazy!!

dfattack

Can't wait till next year. In the meantime all of you harley riders get ready and the boaters (me included) can start looking forward to a long summer. Bring on the warm temps and let's shorten that cold muddy season for those of you up north.

JimAndros

I'm glad I hit it the week we had snow (389 miles). Haven't used a snow shovel or snow blower since Jan 13th. Grease it up, treat the fuel & look forward to next season.

Boats are ready, but C.O.E. has Winnebago pool down to 1.58' as of this morning. Full pool is 2.9' - 3.0'. This drawdown is typical but with no snow on the ground in the Wolf or upper Fox basins it will be interesting.

Traveled from Redgranite to Meadowlands, MN then down to Hinkley yesterday. Zero snow anywhere except for an inch or 2 within a few miles of the Lake in Duluth/Superior.