TIME TO CALL IT ?

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hate to rain on your parade fellas but I think we're in for a couple of storms in March and April. Nothing for us sledders but enough to need our shovels and blowers again. In the coming days I'll move the snowmobile into its summer place and roll out the Spyder but I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon. Personally, I think Mother Nature has been on a bender the last 3 months and her hangover is gonna be a doozy!

whitedust

Hate to rain on your parade fellas but I think we're in for a couple of storms in March and April. Nothing for us sledders but enough to need our shovels and blowers again. In the coming days I'll move the snowmobile into its summer place and roll out the Spyder but I don't think I'll be using it anytime soon. Personally, I think Mother Nature has been on a bender the last 3 months and her hangover is gonna be a doozy!
I believe the UP can stay open for snowmobiling but grooming is limited in April. We had many dumps in April when I lived in Phelps and since I had a southern exposure I would just wait for the melt plowing would just tear up driveway all plowing contracts rain out March 31th anyway. I didn’t like those late season dumps just delayed Spring but I don’t think that’s going to be a problem up north this year no matter what happens.

Last edited:

pclark

Looking at the long range for the next 2-3 weeks it’s pretty warm, 40’s-50’s, with a cold day or two but more warm days and that sun is high in the sky burning a lot hotter now.

saber1

428695802_1219183909510964_6771722194329250697_n.jpg
still some hope

id come up with my sxs but im afraid to make someone mad riding the sxs trails and fire roads
if it snows tuesday-wed id ride the sleds a little and then do some site seeing with the dogs

mezz

428695802_1219183909510964_6771722194329250697_n.jpg
still some hope
That is a picture of wishful thinking. The GFS & Euro models don't show anything "heavy" into the near future. Currently 46 deg & sunny, feels like spring. The week ahead looks warm as well with chance of rain & temps over 50 by next Sat.

mezz

To add insult to injury, there is now snow forecast for Tuesday night starting off as mixed precip & changing to snow on Wed. Just what we need right now, 7" of slop. I am so over this crap winter.

Airman68

I rode 100 miles up there last weekend. The only thing that will save it is cold weather and snow. You need both and we seem to get one or the other.

pclark

AccuWeather is saying 65% probability of 3-6” of snow Tuesday night into Wednesday. Local says 1-2”, 38 by Thursday, high 50’s over the weekend. And so it goes…….

indy_500

To add insult to injury, there is now snow forecast for Tuesday night starting off as mixed precip & changing to snow on Wed. Just what we need right now, 7" of slop. I am so over this crap winter.
Hate to be that guy but isn’t that what Saber1 was just trying to post about when you told him not gonna happen? :)

whitedust

Hate to be that guy but isn’t that what Saber1 was just trying to post about when you told him not gonna happen? :)
I can’t find a graphics definition other than pink means heavy snow. To me 7” from bare or low snow ain’t much to get excited about 20 inches if possible will present a short window of riding opportunities before very warm temps melts it away. Dreaming is fine but reality often bites especially when grooming opportunities are limited for any trail riding. Imo Mezz has had a steady hand in accurately describing trail riding opportunities this difficult season in the Kee.

indy_500

I can’t find a graphics definition other than pink means heavy snow. To me 7” from bare or low snow ain’t much to get excited about 20 inches if possible will present a short window of riding opportunities before very warm temps melts it away. Dreaming is fine but reality often bites especially when grooming opportunities are limited for any trail riding. Imo Mezz has had a steady hand in accurately describing trail riding opportunities this difficult season in the Kee.
The guy with the report saber1 was calling for declared 5-8 along with that graphic. Maybe not quite John’s “pink crayon”. Nonetheless yes i agree, 5-8 won’t be close to rideable, maybe some back roads and forest roads for 24 hrs afterwards but that’s it.

mezz

For what it's worth, I didn't say not gonna happen, at least not in the definition of "Heavy". The GFS & Euro Models indicate a max of 5" through Feb 28th. Considering what little is left, this will do nothing but be a PITA as temps are to return to the mid 30's Thursday the 29th & warm further as the week end approaches, to the tune of upper 40's to near 50. When I see the fuchsia color (pink crayon) I associate that with much more accumulation than 5-8", as such, not "Heavy" in my definition of snowfall. Not trying to rain on anybodys parade, just being realistic. I'm pretty sure I've been hearing the fat lady singing.

bearrassler

It is 55 degrees as I type this but the NWS says our low temp tonight is going to be 3 degrees with 2 to 4 inches of snow tonight and another 1 to 3 inches tomorrow. I don't know if I want the snow or not.

saber1

ride it while its still on the ground fpr u lucky guys that live close to the UP might get a nice day of riding if it hits just right