TIME TO CALL IT ?

Airman68

ride it while its still on the ground for u lucky guys that live close to the UP might get a nice day of riding if it hits just right
Agreed. I wish I lived closer to the UP, could make some day trips there. I hope it snows for those who can go but for me, I'm probably just getting tired of disappointing snowfall vs predictions.

pclark

Yep, half inch to maybe 2” in northern Vilas now, not sure about the Yoop. 62 on Sunday.

mezz

Now down to 3-5" through Thursday, we'll see about that. I am thinking 1-2" possible tonight & maybe another 1-2 tomorrow. Temps to climb back up again beginning Thursday with high 30's low 40's into the weekend and possibly near 50 early next week with a chance of rain. This has been one strange season thats for sure, I am certain that this would even have had JD stumped.

heckler56

Just remember that it is lake effect so 12“ of fluff is only 1“ compacted. Most rocks, stumps and ruts are taller than 1”.

bearrassler

We ended up with 5 to 7 inches of new snow, the wind was up to 50 MPH so it is hard to tell the exact depth. It was 56 degrees yesterday around 4 and it was 3 degrees this morning.

IOWASLEDDER

Load 'em up and head out west I guess eh?

West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the cities of Paradise, Grass Valley, Jackson, Chester,
Quincy, and Blue Canyon
200 AM PST Wed Feb 28 2024

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM THURSDAY TO 10 AM
PST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Extremely dangerous to impossible travel from blizzard
conditions Friday into Saturday morning. Total snow
accumulations of 5 to 10 feet above 5000 feet

IOWASLEDDER

Holy wah! This is crazy:

Northeast Foothills/Sacramento Valley-Motherlode-
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the cities of Paradise, Grass Valley, Jackson, Chester,
Quincy, and Blue Canyon
230 AM PST Fri Mar 1 2024

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Extremely dangerous to impossible travel from blizzard
conditions. Total snow accumulations of 5 to 10 feet above 5000
feet, local amounts of 12 feet or more over peaks

whitedust

Not a chance. Already 1/4 way thru March and there hardly any accumulating snow in the 10 day
I do wonder how long the clubs will hold out for an opening date? Seems to me continuing warm temps ,no snow , lakes thawing and open swamps are making it impossible to open trails in the time left in this season. Imo be honest just call it for public safety and protection that is all the justification Vilas needs to call an end to this season to keep their credibility. It’s been an awful winter wrap it up and look forward to next winter.

indy_500

I do wonder how long the clubs will hold out for an opening date? Seems to me continuing warm temps ,no snow , lakes thawing and open swamps are making it impossible to open trails in the time left in this season. Imo be honest just call it for public safety and protection that is all the justification Vilas needs to call an end to this season to keep their credibility. It’s been an awful winter wrap it up and look forward to next winter.
A lot of clubs in central and southern Wisconsin I see have pulled signs already as farmers are itching to get on their fields.

pclark

From what I hear no clubs in Vilas will open this season. It’s all or none in Vilas. Warm and 50 today, we just didn’t get any precipitation either this season, going to be a bad fire season if the trend continues. Lakes are starting to get iffy and the northern shores are not accessible, the ground around the shores is transferring heat to melt the ice along the shores. This one will go down in the record books.

dfattack

From what I hear no clubs in Vilas will open this season. It’s all or none in Vilas. Warm and 50 today, we just didn’t get any precipitation either this season, going to be a bad fire season if the trend continues. Lakes are starting to get iffy and the northern shores are not accessible, the ground around the shores is transferring heat to melt the ice along the shores. This one will go down in the record books.
My dock is almost clear of ice. Each night below freezing it crusts over but quickly melts in the morning once the sun comes up