TIME TO CALL IT ?

rev07

My group gathered for our first 'snowless' snowmobile trip in ER. We did some riding Saturday..in a...truck. When Trackside cancelled my reservation a week or so ago said its off regardless of weather/snowfall.

hermie

I feel for those rental places. Most didn't rent out a sled all season. Be interesting to see if places like trackside roll out model year 25 sleds next year or the 24 they had for this season that never left the lot.

I feel for those rental places. Most didn't rent out a sled all season. Be interesting to see if places like trackside roll out model year 25 sleds next year or the 24 they had for this season that never left the lot.
If they roll out 25 sleds, I would assume someone would need to purchase the basically new 24's. It will be interesting this year, to see how the used sled market fairs...I've already seen huge discounts on used and new sleds.

Airman68

It's going to be a brutal sales season next fall. SOOO many new sleds or sleds with really low miles around. Some will buy new-new but most people that dont have a bottomless checkbook will be looking for "the deal" and the rest of us that rode very little will just run our current stuff next season as if this was a bad dream.

whitedust

Vilas still willing to grind it out to the bitter end. Lol Vilas Trails are closed but would open if a dump. Idk if that’s possible but the decision is what it is for whatever reasons. See you in 2025 I’m done.

dfattack

Vilas still willing to grind it out to the bitter end. Lol Vilas Trails are closed but would open if a dump. Idk if that’s possible but the decision is what it is for whatever reasons. See you in 2025 I’m done.
:) we were done over a month ago.

pclark

They might open the trails if there is a huge storm but no equipment is leaving the groomer barns. I also think most guys have cleaned up their sleds and stored them to be honest with you. It’s thawing/mud season up here right now and the thawing is definitely winning. Also high fire risk so yes, any precipitation is welcome at this point.

whitedust

They might open the trails if there is a huge storm but no equipment is leaving the groomer barns. I also think most guys have cleaned up their sleds and stored them to be honest with you. It’s thawing/mud season up here right now and the thawing is definitely winning. Also high fire risk so yes, any precipitation is welcome at this point.
Yeah Paul I don’t get it either … maybe it’s a rental sled thing send out the fleet if possible with these warm temps and high solar angles roads wouldn’t stay covered more than a day which would include pit stops and gas stations. Or just plain wishful thinking to support snomo biz to the official end of March.

2trax4me

I wrote the season off in December and planned other vacations, now I feel like a genius. Next fall it might be time to get rid of this sport, too many years starting to end up like this.

garageguy

You are living in fantasy land if you think there is riding at any point to be had.
If we get a storm I will ride on legal roads before the plows come out.
Gates have been locked for a while and will not open by me.

indy_500

I wrote the season off in December and planned other vacations, now I feel like a genius. Next fall it might be time to get rid of this sport, too many years starting to end up like this.
Last year was vilas county’s 3rd snowiest winter on record. I even rode groomed trails until March 30 in the western UP last year, and they got hit with another big storm a few days after that into April. Some people have short memories I guess LOL

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also think most guys have cleaned up their sleds and stored them to be honest with you.. Also high fire risk so yes, any precipitation is welcome at this point.
Yeah, mine was put to bed for the summer weeks ago. C'est la vie until next year. On a side note, the ice was gone from Lake Winnebago on the last day of February. Any "old timer" will tell you that's never happened in modern times.

2024, a strange year thus far for weather, politics, and Lord knows what else.​

hermie

I think people in general today have short memories and attention span. Like Indy said the last week of March was awesome around Lake Gogebic. We rode on the 31st in Vilas with anywhere from 4-6 inches of fresh snow in flat trails. The last 3 winters we rode in upper Michigan the last week of March. This year definitely stunk but when you rely on mother nature to be able to do what you love to do there's going to be a few stinkers here and there.

timo

I think people in general today have short memories and attention span. Like Indy said the last week of March was awesome around Lake Gogebic. We rode on the 31st in Vilas with anywhere from 4-6 inches of fresh snow in flat trails. The last 3 winters we rode in upper Michigan the last week of March. This year definitely stunk but when you rely on mother nature to be able to do what you love to do there's going to

be a few stinkers here and there.I
Its called being a prisoner of the moment.