TIME TO CALL IT ?

mike1970

I'll be the "glass is half full" guy regarding this forecast. As dry as it has been everywhere, my opinion is that a good amount of wet snow is better than heavy rain, since the rain is more likely to run off and the wet snow will melt slow and soak into the ground a lot more. I think at this point in the year, it's far more beneficial.

dfattack

I'll be the "glass is half full" guy regarding this forecast. As dry as it has been everywhere, my opinion is that a good amount of wet snow is better than heavy rain, since the rain is more likely to run off and the wet snow will melt slow and soak into the ground a lot more. I think at this point in the year, it's far more beneficial.
I agree with this. we had a ton of rain last week in my area and it flooded very quickly. Summer would have soaked in more. I realize ground isn't frozen but it seemed vegetation wasn't alive to drink it up. Slowly melting snow probably is better because of that.

indy_500

While I do agree, we wanna get outside and play baseball! LOL

matti

Regarding having precipitation soak into the ground, the latest frost depth report from Duluth (reported yesterday) is 22". Does that mean you don't reach frost until you get 22" into the ground? Frost depth is 5" in Land O' Lakes, for comparison.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Regarding having precipitation soak into the ground, the latest frost depth report from Duluth (reported yesterday) is 22". Does that mean you don't reach frost until you get 22" into the ground? Frost depth is 5" in Land O' Lakes, for comparison.
I'm quite sure that frost depth is measured from the surface down to where the frost/frozen ground ends. I also agree with others, we need the moisture and snow is probably a better form than rain. Either way, it looks like it's going to be a mess for a few days.

mezz

At this time of year, the white rain would be better than an outright rain for obvious reasons, and we all need the precip here in the midwest. Also, keep in mind the GFS models are generated in part by historic weather patterns as well as current weather conditions. Combine this with the rather elevated El Nino this year, it has thrown off all GFS anticipated patterns for all models for the date & time of the season based on average statistical weather data whether it be the US or Euro. It still remains a real guessing game, even for a trained meteorologist, face it, none of them have nailed a forecast this year of which I believe is due to the anomalies that have been put into play. Mother nature does have a way to even things out, but all we can hope for is that we don't get a dramatic swing in the weather pattern that would lend to "even things out".

kraven700

Are the trails in the KEEWENAW even open ?

I saw the ATV tracks on the trail Cam outside of Trailside Lodge North of Calumet

Airman68

Last time I looked at that cam, it was bare ground, maybe a few days ago. The last report I read from 3/18 says not enough to ride.

mezz

Despite the snows we received over the weekend, the 6 inches of LES we received is no where near enough for rideable conditions, especially considering it was down to bare ground.

goofy600

Are the trails in the KEEWENAW even open ?

I saw the ATV tracks on the trail Cam outside of Trailside Lodge North of Calumet
To be completely stupid, yes technically the trails are open until March 31st. Now as for rideable that is another question.