Tomahawk area 2/18

Attak man

About 2 inches of snow fell over night (heavier snow was south and east towards the fox valley)...Trails were excellent this morning....Every trail I was on this morning was freshly groomed, and I was the first track on them around 7 am...Lakes are still a bit rough (froze up tight), but getting better...there is a little bit of ice in some corners, but the fresh snow seemed to help that a bit. Right now the trails are as good as I have seen them all year. With cold weather(below zero lows expected) the next couple of days, the trails should hold up nicely through the weekend. It should be a great weekend to ride...I know I will be.

sjb

Thanks for the report Attak Man! The family and I are heading up on Thursday night to ride the weekend. Do you know if the lakes are all marked? Specifically willow flowage, Nokomis and willow lake? We will be riding out of the cedar falls area, and plan on going west and south from there. Thanks in advance!

Attak man

Thanks for the report Attak Man! The family and I are heading up on Thursday night to ride the weekend. Do you know if the lakes are all marked? Specifically willow flowage, Nokomis and willow lake? We will be riding out of the cedar falls area, and plan on going west and south from there. Thanks in advance!

Everything is marked in the Tomahawk area...Ive ridden pier willow region...but haven't been out on the willow...don't know if it was marked, but it should be...the ice is the safest it's been all year (really cold last week, and expected below zero lows, the next couple of nights)....again lakes are rough in spots...but good otherwise

junior

Hope that area gets past another warm up this weekend. Was hoping to make it up that way one more time.

Attak man

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news..but the warm weather, and heavy traffic, really took its toll on the trails...the hiawatha had 2 foot rollers, and was snirty in sections... the bearskin from hwy k north was awful all the way to minocqua (plenty of snow, just rough)... the 17 trail from woodruff to Mercer was not as bad, and got smoother as u got closer to lac du flambeau......trails in and around lac du flamveau....were excellent...no slush on the lakes either....hopefully we get some snow this week...just an inch or two would improve things....the trails around minocqua are pounded to death, its sugar snow up there...no moisture left in it at all...and dont bother with any road trails or trails that run the sides of roads...they are bare...another 40 plus degree day to get through tomorrow...the weather isnt the biggest issue...the heavy traffic is...the trails were hammered today...very, very heavy traffic...and btw can some of you mellonheads please drive on your side of the trail ...what is this "ride down the middle crap"...is this an Illinois thing? (Had several near missed tonight ***)

Attak man

Update...its 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky...definitely melting today...however..just did a short spin from flambeau to minocqua...trails are around flambeau are holding up nicely, and as of 11 am no slush on any lake
Trails in and around minocqua are brown, slushy, and wet (and rough in spots)

sjb

Rode Friday and Saturday and were some of the best trails I have rode in that area ever! Flat, fast and smooth. But left Saturday afternoon as we need to get my 15 year old son to a high school dance. There is a lot of snow, and would think the woods trails would hold up this warm up. I did notice there were a number of people riding the inside corner no matter if it was a left or right turn. To me, it is simply a matter of time before there is an accident.

Attak man

Yes...trails held up well, and are still very good outside of the heavy traffic areas..should be good for the upcoming weekend...Just a couple inches of snow would do wonders...(fingers crossed)...plenty of snow out in the woods, and the lakes have held up good...didn't hit any slush sunday, even as warm as it was (around noon)....we'll see how it goes, but we should get at least one more week/weekend of decent riding. Trails have held up well considering the heavy traffic we have seen this year.

frank700

Thanks Attack man, I appreciate your trails reports. I always read yours and Fuzzy's. Hope to make it up next week for one last blast! Take care.

Ryan Swartzy

Thanks for the updates Attak man. My son and I are heading up Friday for a couple of days. Looking for recommendations for a place to stay. Any info would be great. Don't need anything fancy, just a clean room, room to park the trailer and close to the trail. I was looking at the Super 8 by Wyndham in Tomahawk. Any info would be much appreciated as we are not familiar with that area.