Tough Sledding at Ski Doo

whitedust

Agreed. It’s crazy how well the design holds up for the most part in the 600 platform (unlike the 800s) but I’d love to see them revamp a new motor similar to the 850s. 650-680, 140 horsepower, I’d be the first one at the dealers door to snowcheck the next day LOL
I always preferred the 140 hp niche my sweet spot 2s or 4s. That used to be the 700 2s hp with all the OEMs offering only 800 / 850 165hp+ then dropping to 600 at 125ish Hp. 4s turbos went off the charts 165 -180 to 200 hp which I just don’t need for trail riding. Imo 140-150 hp 2s or 4s is all you need for trail riding even with the guys.

indy_500

I always preferred the 140 hp niche my sweet spot 2s or 4s. That used to be the 700 2s hp with all the OEMs offering only 800 / 850 165hp+ then dropping to 600 at 125ish Hp. 4s turbos went off the charts 165 -180 to 200 hp which I just don’t need for trail riding. Imo 140-150 hp 2s or 4s is all you need for trail riding even with the guys.
Agreed, I’d be ecstatic with a 140hp power plant. I’m still young and like a little more than what a 600 has to offer, 850 is overkill though.

Hoosier

Agreed, I’d be ecstatic with a 140hp power plant. I’m still young and like a little more than what a 600 has to offer, 850 is overkill though.
I'm in the same boat, except I'm not sure about the young part anymore. 800/850 I think is necessary at elevation but not needed in the flatlands, but 600s aren't enough with the taller modern sleds. I haven't ridden a poo 650 yet but the price seems excessive whenever I'd looked. I don't ride all that fast at all on top end but like the acceleration.

indy_500

I'm in the same boat, except I'm not sure about the young part anymore. 800/850 I think is necessary at elevation but not needed in the flatlands, but 600s aren't enough with the taller modern sleds. I haven't ridden a poo 650 yet but the price seems excessive whenever I'd looked. I don't ride all that fast at all on top end but like the acceleration.
I rode my cousins 650 for a few miles. Hard to give it a fair shake as I had just gotten off my 850. Definitely doesn’t have 850 torque but it is very fast revving, faster revving than a 600 etec imo, but no more torque/top end. I feel like the 19 newer 600r etec is pretty much on par with the Poo 650 in the power department, and that’s why Doo hasn’t jumped to revamp it yet even though all of the Doo faithful is begging for it.

Hoosier

I rode my cousins 650 for a few miles. Hard to give it a fair shake as I had just gotten off my 850. Definitely doesn’t have 850 torque but it is very fast revving, faster revving than a 600 etec imo, but no more torque/top end. I feel like the 19 newer 600r etec is pretty much on par with the Poo 650 in the power department, and that’s why Doo hasn’t jumped to revamp it yet even though all of the Doo faithful is begging for it.
Like you mentioned I think a lot of people like the low oil usage of the 600 isoflex engine.

Magnumb

IMO the 600 is a more reliable powerplant. And i've seen 600s with over 10k, but oil ratio is critical and not always set correctly from the dealer.

Hoosier

My 850 actually gets slightly better mileage, 17-18, because I don’t have to use as much throttle to ride at the pace we do. She gets 16-17. I use much more oil than her 600 does though. We definitely are NOT speed demons when riding together, a 600 would definitely suffice, but every once and awhile when I can grab a handful of 850 throttle it puts a big smile on my face. One thing to keep in mind though, the 850 is nearly 20 lbs heavier. I did take one trip with the guys last year and my fuel mileage did take a big hit though.
Also wondering how much different the oil usage amounts to

old abe

Agreed. It’s crazy how well the design holds up for the most part in the 600 platform (unlike the 800s) but I’d love to see them revamp a new motor similar to the 850s. 650-680, 140 horsepower, I’d be the first one at the dealers door to snowcheck the next day LOL
All Doo 600 SDI's, 600 Etec's, and the 600R's all have phenomenal reliability. If you are worried about the iso flex bearings, get the Fett Bros kit.

indy_500

All Doo 600 SDI's, 600 Etec's, and the 600R's all have phenomenal reliability. If you are worried about the iso flex bearings, get the Fett Bros kit.
Sounds like common practice to grease the pto bearing around 5-7000 miles. I’m honestly not that concerned about it with the woman’s 19, I’m more concerned about the insanely low oil usage! Blows my mind a 2 stroke can operate on that but it’s our first 600 etec and everyone says they sip oil.

elf

That had crossed my mind I just know at the pace I ride the 600 is in it's happy place. I have also owned quite few ski doo 600's and they have been bullet proo for me. I don't know at this point may just end going with an 850 as you are getting a much better deal on the 850.
So i was the guy out of my group that always rode a 600 vs their 800-850's. I could go everywhere they did or more, always lead the group rides etc.. Said there was no need for that big of a sled, blah blah blah. But then I bought a 850 and wow, the fun factor is so much higher. Was going to ride my wife's 600 this weekend just to burn some gas through it, ran it around the yard twice and then loaded up my 850 instead. Jus my experience.

euphoric1

Sounds like common practice to grease the pto bearing around 5-7000 miles. I’m honestly not that concerned about it with the woman’s 19, I’m more concerned about the insanely low oil usage! Blows my mind a 2 stroke can operate on that but it’s our first 600 etec and everyone says they sip oil.
Oils have come a long way through the years and combine that with more precise delivery...far less oil usage

pclark

900T is turboed. 900 ace non turbo (which is what you have) gets nearly 10mpg better. We got mid 20s consistently with our 2014 120” shorty, was awesome at the pump.

Overall, I was disappointed in the fuel economy numbers I’ve seen posted on the 130hp 900T , as it could possibly have been a consideration for us in the future, but no mileage benefit over Doos 2 stroke offerings. I also think the electronic throttle is fantastic for women and teenagers, just not sure I could run one on my personal sled… maybe I’d get used to it who knows…

Really hoping Doo releases a 650-680cc motor to compete with Polaris’ 650 (although the newer 600r etec has almost identical hp as Poo 650). I would like to see this motor with a similar build to the 850 with a lubed crank and not the sealed isoflex bearings the 600s currently have (major reason the 600s use such little oil compared to an 850). Would also like to see Shot start brought into their trail lineup for weight savings. I’d prefer this with a rope to be the “standard” and for those who want Electric start to have to pay extra (or have it standard in luxury or trail specific models like the enduro, blizzard, etc)
Yep, you are correct

hermie

I am not an engineer but my thoughts are the reasons ski doo went to isoflex in the lower ends is too make it easier to meet the new emissions standards. With that being said I have 2 2016 600's one over 11,000 miles and one just under and they both run phenomenal. I did add new isoflex to the pto bearing around 8500 miles. It's an easy job. Pull clutch take off PTO cover and seal and repack bearing. With all that being said I would prefer it more like the 850 with the lower end getting oil. The best bottom end I have personally seen is the old Yamaha 3 cylinder engines. The SX and the SRX has nice big bearings being fed with 3 different oil lines.

hermie

So i was the guy out of my group that always rode a 600 vs their 800-850's. I could go everywhere they did or more, always lead the group rides etc.. Said there was no need for that big of a sled, blah blah blah. But then I bought a 850 and wow, the fun factor is so much higher. Was going to ride my wife's 600 this weekend just to burn some gas through it, ran it around the yard twice and then loaded up my 850 instead. Jus my experience.
There is no doubt in my mind the 850 is a sweet running and fun engine. The main reason I know I don't really need all that horsepower as I ride with my wife 100% of the time and 95% of the riding is in Vilas, forest, Oneida county. There was a day I would of been all over the 850 but for me those days have come and gone. For us it's all about just being out there and enjoying the ride and being together. Even on the lakes we will cruise at 60 to 70. It has really become about being out there and having fun and get home safely. That's why I now also wear a Tek vest and won't even think about riding without it. Don't get me wrong my ego says grab a 850 the heck with it but as I get older my brain wins over my ego more.😄😄😁

whitedust

There is no doubt in my mind the 850 is a sweet running and fun engine. The main reason I know I don't really need all that horsepower as I ride with my wife 100% of the time and 95% of the riding is in Vilas, forest, Oneida county. There was a day I would have been all over the 850 but for me those days have come and gone. For us it's all about just being out there and enjoying the ride and being together. Even on the lakes we will cruise at 60 to 70. It has really become about being out there and having fun and get home safely. That's why I now also wear a Tek vest and won't even think about riding without it. Don't get me wrong my ego says grab a 850 the heck with it but as I get older my brain wins over my ego more.😄😄😁
Tek vest is a necessity no matter what hp or speed you ride. I hit a tree cleared the handle bars flipped and landed on my back didn’t have an ache or pain. Another off was crossing virgin railroad tracks stunned me came to wondering why I was looking down RR tracks again wind knocked out of me and a bit pissed off but no aches or pains. I’m sure my offs aren’t over you never know so I will never ride without protection regardless what sled I’m riding.

hermie

Tek vest is a necessity no matter what hp or speed you ride. I hit a tree cleared the handle bars flipped and landed on my back didn’t have an ache or pain. Another off was crossing virgin railroad tracks stunned me came to wondering why I was looking down RR tracks again wind knocked out of me and a bit pissed off but no aches or pains. I’m sure my offs aren’t over you never know so I will never ride without protection regardless what sled I’m riding.
I totally agree with you on this. For years though I rode with just a helmet for protection and that was it. Wasn't untill I got older and smarter did I start wearing my vest. I have a Tek vest and wife now wears the new 509 vest. She didn't like the pressure on her shoulders from the Tek vest. I feel the Tek vest has more protection than the 509 but as long as she has some protection for her organs and lungs.

whitedust

I totally agree with you on this. For years though I rode with just a helmet for protection and that was it. Wasn't untill I got older and smarter did I start wearing my vest. I have a Tek vest and wife now wears the new 509 vest. She didn't like the pressure on her shoulders from the Tek vest. I feel the Tek vest has more protection than the 509 but as long as she has some protection for her organs and lungs.
I wear a sixsixone core protector with spine protection then wrap a back thing around it. Keeps the back muscles warm ,supported yet the vest fabric and plastic plates breathes allowing moisture out perfect for me. Plenty of protection for me and moves with me.

dfattack

There is definitely a place for the 600 class engines. Probably the majority of riders would be just fine. Depends on how you ride. Last year there were 10
Of us who went out to west Yellowstone / island park to ride trails only. After the first half of the day casually cruising due to some older riders half of us took another loop to open it up a bit. Some of the group of 5 of us had the 600’s. They were telling us with the 850’s and 4S (165 hp) sleds that they literally were pinning the throttle to keep up. They couldn’t keep up in some of the more open sections but my point is that can’t be good for the engines. If you are going to ride like that just jump up to the 850’s. I’m sure the altitude had something to do with it too, but when my son used to have a 600HO and we were back home on the grade he would also have to pin it to keep up and I didn’t want his engine to blow up. Maybe I’m being a little over sensative but I don’t think any engine should run flat out for miles. Maybe others are more technically knowledgeable than me so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Hoosier

this is a doo discussion but the 600 cats in our group, mine included, use little oil - seems like too little to me, but we haven't had issues. Of course my sled before that was a poo 600 with a carb and it was set way too rich. I figured at the time that oil was cheap enough so I didn't worry about it. I was the last one with a carb and the other guys didn't like riding behind me...