Tough Sledding at Ski Doo

Hoosier

Tek vest is a necessity no matter what hp or speed you ride. I hit a tree cleared the handle bars flipped and landed on my back didn’t have an ache or pain. Another off was crossing virgin railroad tracks stunned me came to wondering why I was looking down RR tracks again wind knocked out of me and a bit pissed off but no aches or pains. I’m sure my offs aren’t over you never know so I will never ride without protection regardless what sled I’m riding.
Agree. I hit a buried rock on the side of the road on the way up to the snowies from centennial in February. Wasn't going very fast and I really don't know how it happened so fast but it knocked my sled over on top of me and I took the handlebars in the side of the leg and had pretty good hemoglobin bruise build up before the end of the day. I wear a tek vest and while this incident didn't hit me where the vest was protecting me that wouldn't have been a good impact to my torso where I was protected. And it all happened without moving fast or really even riding yet, just a couple miles from the hotel.

old abe

Oils have come a long way through the years and combine that with more precise delivery...far less oil usage
Just as the SDI fueled engines compared to the DI Etec. The DI Etec has stellar, precise, spot on fuel delivery which gives it the excellent MPG's. However the 600R gets 1 to 2 MPG's less than does the original 600 Etec. Such as more power, more fuel used?

old abe

this is a doo discussion but the 600 cats in our group, mine included, use little oil - seems like too little to me, but we haven't had issues. Of course my sled before that was a poo 600 with a carb and it was set way too rich. I figured at the time that oil was cheap enough so I didn't worry about it. I was the last one with a carb and the other guys didn't like riding behind me...
The low oil usage is a nice plus when riding big mile trips in Canada! ;)

Hoosier

I am not an engineer but my thoughts are the reasons ski doo went to isoflex in the lower ends is too make it easier to meet the new emissions standards. With that being said I have 2 2016 600's one over 11,000 miles and one just under and they both run phenomenal. I did add new isoflex to the pto bearing around 8500 miles. It's an easy job. Pull clutch take off PTO cover and seal and repack bearing. With all that being said I would prefer it more like the 850 with the lower end getting oil. The best bottom end I have personally seen is the old Yamaha 3 cylinder engines. The SX and the SRX has nice big bearings being fed with 3 different oil lines.
That's good to know it can be maintained without too much trouble.

pclark

There is no doubt in my mind the 850 is a sweet running and fun engine. The main reason I know I don't really need all that horsepower as I ride with my wife 100% of the time and 95% of the riding is in Vilas, forest, Oneida county. There was a day I would have been all over the 850 but for me those days have come and gone. For us it's all about just being out there and enjoying the ride and being together. Even on the lakes we will cruise at 60 to 70. It has really become about being out there and having fun and get home safely. That's why I now also wear a Tek vest and won't even think about riding without it. Don't get me wrong my ego says grab a 850 the heck with it but as I get older my brain wins over my ego more.😄😄😁
Hermie, hopefully you venture over into Price county as well.

ddhanna

Sounds like common practice to grease the pto bearing around 5-7000 miles. I’m honestly not that concerned about it with the woman’s 19, I’m more concerned about the insanely low oil usage! Blows my mind a 2 stroke can operate on that but it’s our first 600 etec and everyone says they sip oil.
Curious as to what you consider insanely low oil usage. My 2012 600 Etec was doing 55:1 when it puked an isoflex bearing at 4,200 miles. 55:1 is not what I would call low but always seemed low because the sled used so little fuel. In order for you to know your oil consumption, you need to closely track both oil and fuel measurements which most people don't bother with.

indy_500

Curious as to what you consider insanely low oil usage. My 2012 600 Etec was doing 55:1 when it puked an isoflex bearing at 4,200 miles. 55:1 is not what I would call low but always seemed low because the sled used so little fuel. In order for you to know your oil consumption, you need to closely track both oil and fuel measurements which most people don't bother with.
Well, my 850 is better on gas by 1-2mpg, and I use 3 times the amount of oil in the 850 as I do the 600. Have not calculated oil ratio closely enough.

hermie

Hermie, hopefully you venture over into Price county as well.
Yes sir I do. I like Price county a lot normally more quiet traffic wise. I also ride Lincoln and some of Iron. I probably ride Iron the least. I really enjoy Forest county. We are not big bar people as we don't drink much if at all while we ride. What I like about forest county and Price is there not a bar every other turn. You can't beat Vilas for the grooming but I really enjoy being able to ride a while and not see nothing but the trees and creeks until you hit another stop. We do stop at bars but it's to grab a bite to eat and maybe one drink but most of the times it's a soda.

elf

There is no doubt in my mind the 850 is a sweet running and fun engine. The main reason I know I don't really need all that horsepower as I ride with my wife 100% of the time and 95% of the riding is in Vilas, forest, Oneida county. There was a day I would of been all over the 850 but for me those days have come and gone. For us it's all about just being out there and enjoying the ride and being together. Even on the lakes we will cruise at 60 to 70. It has really become about being out there and having fun and get home safely. That's why I now also wear a Tek vest and won't even think about riding without it. Don't get me wrong my ego says grab a 850 the heck with it but as I get older my brain wins over my ego more.😄😄😁
I agree with what you are saying and how you ride. I have zero need for the speed of my 850 and have actually geared it down and I'm sure it's never even seen 85 mph. When I say fun factor I just reference grabbing the throttle and pulling the ski's, the acceleration, the ability to pop up out of anything. I don't go real fast anymore either and always wear my tek vest also but I do love the instant power of the 850. Thats all I'm saying.

hermie

I agree with what you are saying and how you ride. I have zero need for the speed of my 850 and have actually geared it down and I'm sure it's never even seen 85 mph. When I say fun factor I just reference grabbing the throttle and pulling the ski's, the acceleration, the ability to pop up out of anything. I don't go real fast anymore either and always wear my tek vest also but I do love the instant power of the 850. Thats all I'm saying.
Elf if you don't mind me asking,what would you say your normal trail speed is? I have been riding 600's for quite some time now and they put a smile on my face every time I ride. The biggest problem I am having rite now is I have been looking at left overs and I want an adrenaline with the blizzard package and that's where there isn't much difference in price. If I just bought a adrenaline then there is a bigger difference. I want the ice ripper track plus I like the idea of the new clicker shocks. If I ripped up with friends here and there this would be a no brainer. When I met the love of my life I also found my riding partner for life. I got lucky and my wife loves riding almost as much as me.

goofy600

Hermie, you really have to make the decision are you making a decision on it based on money or your heart. I never could justify the $1300 extra for the 800/850 because I could use that extra money for extra trips until 2018 when I was get a new sled and that was the year the 850 was in the gen4 and the 600 still in the xs chassis so got a bigger engine a new chassis and better resale all for the extra money. And I was making more money so it was a lot easier. As you have stated my wife is my riding partner and has only been on 600 and that part never was a problem. Now we both have moved to the 4s I have the 900r and she has the 900t. Only reason I have the 900r was similar to why I got the 850 back in 18 because I couldn’t get what I really wanted on the 900t.

elf

Elf if you don't mind me asking,what would you say your normal trail speed is? I have been riding 600's for quite some time now and they put a smile on my face every time I ride. The biggest problem I am having rite now is I have been looking at left overs and I want an adrenaline with the blizzard package and that's where there isn't much difference in price. If I just bought a adrenaline then there is a bigger difference. I want the ice ripper track plus I like the idea of the new clicker shocks. If I ripped up with friends here and there this would be a no brainer. When I met the love of my life I also found my riding partner for life. I got lucky and my wife loves riding almost as much as me.
So we ride primarily the North Shore and its all twisty trails so my normal speed might be 35-40. Forest roads we'll run at 50-70. Lots of boondocking at 10-20. We don't have RR grades up there where you can run 80+ (plus we have a 50 MPH speed limit in MN) but there are times we get on lakes where we'll open it up. And my sled is a SKS 146 x 2.25 so our hope is always to really just find deep snow in swamps etc. Thats where I like the 850 for its ability to jump up on top. I'm not a speed guy by any means.

elf

You ever ride the Taconite Trail ?
I think I was on it once up by Tower?? I don't travel far from home to ride. If I ride around home, Cloquet, I will get on the Munger once in awhile but just for short sections. Otherwise I'm 99% in the Finland, MN area.