Tow haul mode

old abe

You tow 15K with a F150??

Not everyday, or on a daily basis. But time to time we need to haul things related to our farming, and it ranges in weights, distances, but my truck handles it fine loaded properly. It was ordered with 3.5 Eco Boost, HD tow pkg/3.55 gear, and LT tires. I spec'd it out, and bought the truck to tow with. A good friend tows 12K all over the country camping.

srt20

Not everyday, or on a daily basis. But time to time we need to haul things related to our farming, and it ranges in weights, distances, but my truck handles it fine loaded properly. It was ordered with 3.5 Eco Boost, HD tow pkg/3.55 gear, and LT tires. I spec'd it out, and bought the truck to tow with. A good friend tows 12K all over the country camping.

Yeah I have a 18 F150 3.5L 3.55 gear too. I towed a 30ft enclosed in a 45ish mph crosswind and thought it sucked. Truck was much to light and getting pushed around.

Dont get me wrong, I dont care what you do with your truck, and not trying to argue or debate. I was just making sure I understood exactly what you were saying.

sjb

Did the same thing, by mistake. Was pulling a skidsteer with extras on the trailer. Placed it on a scale as it felt heavier than I estimated. Was at 13.5K#'s. Truck handled it fine and with good trailer brakes did good. Just don't want to make a habit out of pulling that load.

tjmaxx

My last truck was a 3.5 ecoboost f150. While it was better than my silverado not that great to the point where I'd buy it again. I'd rather get back into a heavy duty diesel

old abe

My last truck was a 3.5 ecoboost f150. While it was better than my silverado not that great to the point where I'd buy it again. I'd rather get back into a heavy duty diesel

My son has a Super Duty Diesel, and we use it when possible. However, for the lighter stuff, if needed, the F150's have served us very well.

fcat700

2012 GMC 2500HD 6.0L gas 6 speed automatic pulling a 27 foot deck over 4 place. I personally prefer not using tow/haul, way to much shifting in tow/haul for my liking. I do however use the manual option, limiting the transmission to 4th gear up to 60 mph and 5th gear at speeds over 60 mph. If bucking a stiff head wind I'll stay in 4th gear rather than 5th. By the way, I'll be getting a new one this spring so the trucks for sale.

old abe

2012 GMC 2500HD 6.0L gas 6 speed automatic pulling a 27 foot deck over 4 place. I personally prefer not using tow/haul, way to much shifting in tow/haul for my liking. I do however use the manual option, limiting the transmission to 4th gear up to 60 mph and 5th gear at speeds over 60 mph. If bucking a stiff head wind I'll stay in 4th gear rather than 5th. By the way, I'll be getting a new one this spring so the trucks for sale.

What rear gear has the truck got? GM peak torque usually higher RPM than is usable.

indy_500

What rear gear has the truck got? GM peak torque usually higher RPM than is usable.

4L80e trans in a 2500 hd runs typically at minimum another 400 rpm over a 1/2 ton with a 4L60e depending on rear end gear ratio. The gearing of the transmission gears is lower giving it more rpm for towing. Plus the 6.0 LQ4 in typical 2500 gassers gets its max torque ~1000 rpm lower than a comparable 5.3 they feel like pooches driving around town unloaded though due to the transmission gearing.

Also, i hope you guys who dont use tow haul mode when towing have trans temp gauges and continually monitor them!!

old abe

Good info indy! Agree with the trans temp gauge, a must! Tow/haul should be set up for the best performance while towing.

latner

X2 I have the same truck (Chevy) and pull my 6500lb camper without using tow/haul. I do use manual and lockout 6th gear and my trans temps have never been over 180.