Tow vihicle question f150

saber1

Looking at buying a used 2010 to 2015 f150 and need to know what is the best motor and rear end combo for ease of towing will the v6eco do the job or should i go with the 8 cyl and anything else i need to know.I will be towing a 24' inline 3 place with 3 Yam's in it .

Last edited:

Grant Hoar

Well, first of all you can't use an F150 (half ton rating), when towing 3 one ton sleds! Someone had to say it. JK, I ride them and love them, and the extra weight is no issue.

Have heard good things about the v6eco, and the inlines tow pretty easy. You are probably under 5,000 pounds with the trailer and sleds, and for occassional use I wouldn't see a problem with it.

1fujifilm

Well, first of all you can't use an F150 (half ton rating), when towing 3 one ton sleds! Someone had to say it. JK, I ride them and love them, and the extra weight is no issue.

Have heard good things about the v6eco, and the inlines tow pretty easy. You are probably under 5,000 pounds with the trailer and sleds, and for occassional use I wouldn't see a problem with it.

Get the three Yamaha's to tow the F-150 and you will have something.
By the way, if those are "Triton" motors, don't expect multi-100k miles without a rebuild; save yourself some dough and grief and buy a Chev or GMC.
FYI, I have a Ram but it is under warranty.

Bear

brad460

If the trailer has 3 Yamaha's (unless they are '84 Phazers) you should probably buy a diesel...The towing capacity of a F150 might not be sufficient..

Also, the dough you save by not having to rebuild a Triton could go towards a new tranny for the Chevy or GMC...

I recommend a Tundra..plenty of power, reliable and a whooping 9 mpg when towing..

saber1

Funny stuff i was waiting for that should of said 3 doos .So you saying Triton motors are not durable probably the one i buy will have close to a 100,000 on it what GMC or Chevy you talking about

brad460

Funny stuff i was waiting for that should of said 3 doos .So you saying Triton motors are not durable probably the one i buy will have close to a 100,000 on it what GMC or Chevy you talking about

The Tritons were the older engines (such as the 5.4) which were junk..cam phasers, spark plugs breaking..etc. The newer engines are better- I think the 5.0 is a good engine- no worries!

snoeatr

I dont think GM is gonna be better atleast the last generation. Oil consumption issues and afm lifter failure is very common. Im speaking from experience as both my wifes tahoe and my silverado have had these problems. Not sure if the 14 and up are better. Why wont the triton last more than 100k miles?

old abe

Last 3 GM 5.3 engines have all failed for me. They are nothing compared to the old 350/5.7 engines. Had to replace 1 of them with a complete new crate engine. Have a F150 now, with the 3.5 EcoBoost, and love it. 3.55 rear gear, and it will out pull with ease the 6.2 GM. 20/22 mpg road, 17 town, 12/13 pulling loaded. I won't look at another GM. My son has a 2011 F150 with the 3.5 EcoBoost with many miles past 100K.

saber1

good to know so will look for a 2011 and newer 3.5 or 5.0 then would probably prefer the 3.5 eco because of mpg

old abe

I am not sure when the current 5.0 was introduced. I have heard the 5.0 will be updated for 2018, and they will also have a diesel V-6 in late 2018 F150.

chap72

I have a 2012 with the 5.0 and it has treated me well. My good buddy purchased the same year with the Eco boost and my 5.0 always got better mileage than his Eco boost towing and around town.

chunk06

I had a 2012 with the 5.0 I really liked it. Pulled a small skid loader and tractor a few times. that 5.0 is a pretty sweet little engine. FWIW my wife had a 09 with a 4.6 triton I know it's still going with well over 200k.

elf

I've got a 2010 with the 5.4. 120000 miles with probably 30000 of that towing and have no issue. And when I'm towing it usually 5-6000 pounds. Can run any speed I want, just depends on how much gas I want to burn. Towing my 4 place enclosed if I stay around 60 I get 12, if I pull at 70 I get 9-10. Same with our camper.

mjkaliszak

I have had 2 F150 platinum's v6eco's.... seems like I towed my 3 place's inlines all over .... the 2010 towed well, eventually I had a cracked exhaust manifold and a rust spot bubble up on the tail gate ( in an exact spot seen on another platinum which means manu defect ) and the power running boards kept sticking down especially in cold weather. This is not uncommon because I have seen the darn p-running boards fail down on other sled heads up in various locations.
Fast forward to 2013 ... the 2010 went over the 75K and Ford pretends they don't know me ..... go figure !
I traded that whip for a Black 2013 and continued to haul arse with the 3 place inlines stuffed to the walls with my " operational necessities " .... pretty much half my house . For another 97k and only a few problems come to mind.
This time I was a little more clever.... I created such a stink about the last vehicle at corporate that the regional director for this part of the state extended both my new 2013 F150 & 2014 Focus titanium ( for 1 of my daughters ) to 75K .... on the house . This was back in 2015 when I caught one of my power running boards sticking down..... ( I lost it on them ..... ) Just for the record , I have bought 5-6 fords from the same dealer ( family friend ) and also work in the auto supplier industry and mildly put can be as bad as an Alabama tick ... once I get dug in !

On the 2013 the sticking running boards reared their capability problems , I lost 4 wheel drive due to a solenoid valve /switch, which ghosted me for 1 multi location trip, I had to get towed out from the launch area by a wrecker.... I got on the highway and as the wrecker drove into the sunset.... the vehicle stuck in some defunct " computer logic " mode and .... left me dead in the passenger lane. Since I was sledding with a MI Trooper who patrolled that area we was able to get the wrecker company driver to do an about face and come back to help. He had some sequence that took him about 20 minutes of dinking around to get my 2 wheel drive operational. Then during another adventure the windshield cowl cracked as I was trying to beat the ice off and scrape the ice off the windshield. Additionally I did get that infamous 60-70 mph shutter when punching it while entering the highway. That was solved by a new set of plugs at 87,000 miles.

I don't drive 55, 60, 65, and only 70 if a Trooper is sweating me.... so in other words I do 75-85 with a full load. The fuel milage is a joke but I'm partly to blame since I Sammy haggar it !

I did bring the 2013 back to my buds dealership right at 73,000 and he replaced & repaired everything.
I still plan on keeping or for a while... I keep up on the maintenance extremely well.
I have owned everything from hummers, surburbans, Tahoe's and a Older Nissan armada ... The F150 is near the top, the suburban was the best for towing. I'm not sure what is next the new GMC & Chevy's look pretty sharp along with the new raptors 6,3's.....
Never been a desiel guy .... but at this point.... I'm tired of $800 + truck payments. The new aluminum fords kind of make me wonder especially after seeing the " dropped bucket of rocks " commercial.... from Chevy ... I believe but my brother has a fleet of fords, 1 platinum, 1 small raptor, 1 Super crew raptor , 1 Shelby, 1 Roush stang , and he seems to not have many issues.....
JIMO

Help this was helpful.
mjk1 OUT

I like Ford all but that junk arse Focus.... and they didn't take " The Money " !
Guess I'm down with that !

Black7

I've got a 2015 Super Crew (Lariat), with the 3.5 eco and, I believe, 3.55 axle. Tows the two place triton enclosed with two SR Vipers really, really well. Put it in "Tow" mode and it is even better. Put it in "Sport" mode, and you may not take it off. Real peppy engine. I had a 2010 with the 5.4, and it towed okay, but nothing like the 3.5 ecoboost. No problems with the 3.5 engine. If you look at 2015, and newer, pay close attention to wind noise, door seals and rattling doors. Probably the biggest complaint I've read about out there on the inter-webs.

old abe

The 3.5 EcoBoost developes its peak power at a much lower, and usable 2600 RPM range. And holds it down to 1800. Also in the mountains, it is no problem with the altitude, it runs like back home on the flat land.Most of the V-8's peak in the 4200 RPM and above. 6.2 GM peaks @ 4600RPM. According to friends who have both,the 5.0 Ford is by far better at towing a load than the 5.3 GM.

saber1

All great info, a lot of used trucks in my area so it wont be long live in Indiana but i always get a better deal in IL for some reason thanks