Tow vihicle question f150

moose822

I tow with a half ton chevy 5.3. If you are going to tow an inline of that size I would recommend getting air bags. They made all the difference for towing a trailer of that size and are pretty reasonably priced.

ezra

I have the 5.0 it is a strong motor and can pull a deckover 4place loaded no prob. and I dont buy the triton BS my old 5.4 was sold to a guy I know with 165k on it . yes a coil pack or 2 a yr 1 tranny at 140k. I know the guy who owns it now still no major issues with north of 200k .

don't think yanking a 3 place u need to worry about gearing etc any of the factory set ups in a 5.0 or eco will be fine .rolling 85ish with loaded extra tall 4 place my 5.0 gets 7.9 .in town average 14.5 but I tend to wear out the floor under the gas peddle

indy_500

Wow LOTS of conflicting information here. 5.4s are junk, I don't care if yours or your aunts brothers cousins made it 200k, the design of the engine and possibility of catastrophic failure is way too high to warrant purchasing one... especially with the good track record and reliability of the 5.0... that said, your best gas towing option from Ford would be a 3.5 ecoboost with the lowest gearing (bigger #) possible. The 5.0 also tows well for that size motor, BUT not as well as a 14 newer GM 5.3 (ecoboost still out pulls it imo). Don't buy into the gas mileage of an ecoboost, you'll be dissapointed, but the power won't dissapoint. 14 newer GM 5.3 will spank everything in the fuel efficiency department, but it does suck some gas when you hook a trailer up to it... GM 6.2 is one quick powerful rig that tows awesome, gets about the same gas mileage as a 5.3, but typically have to purchase fully loaded trucks ($$$$) to get one, sounds like something you're not interested in...

joks79

I find humor in peoples opinion who have never owned one. Most if not all of these discussions come down to brand loyalty. I haven't own a Ford with the 5.4L. I did have a 2012 crew cab 3.5L with 3.55 gears. Plenty of power and good mileage. I track all my mileage by hand and its average was 17.6. Running on the highway it would get into 21-22mpg. Running around town I didn't get good mileage cause the turbo was too much fun! When towing the mileage would drop, all vehicles dope when towing. The way I look at towing is how much are you actually going to be towing? Most people myself included probably only town 10-20% of the time. Most trucks now are just transportation. Yes there are people who use trucks as trucks (farmers, contractors, etc).

Will any newer half ton pull a inline trailer with three sleds? YES

Come to think of it I wish I still had the F150 with the Eco Boost...

legolamb

Both Eco boost motors have more torque and towing capacity than the coresponding 8 cylinder 5 liter motor. I went from a 2004 with a 5.4L to a new 3.5L Eco boost, and there is no comparison, the Ecoboost outperforms in every aspect.

ezra

I also have to add my bud has a f350 with the older powerstroke 6.0 I think not sure prob 6 or 7yr old truck . that pile gets 1.5 less mpg yanking same trailer same load out west and back as my 5.0 this was on 5 diff trips so no fluke. his new powerstroke is only getting 2mpg better . cheaper to gasser 5.o now days .

scoobydoo

I had a 05 with a 5.4 and 3 73 gears. It pulled my 4 place enclosed just OK. I now have a 13 with the eco boost and 4 10 gears it does an unbelievable job pulling a trailer. 4 place enclosed or 9000 lb travel trailer. Put a sct tuner with 5 star tunes in it and it's a blast to drive. Hard to believe the power out of the little bugger. Generally run 75 to 80 and get around 17 empty, 9 with my snowmobile trailer, and 7 with the travel trailer.

Anoman

Had 2013 F150 6.2 towed like a dream. Passed all the GM guys, Now have 16 ,3.5 eco, not bad however you will need to pull in tow mode or sport mode. I tow Triton 187 with 3 doo's,

old abe

What rpm range do these 6 cyl turbos make power in?

From what I have experienced, and the torque curve charts, very much lower that the V-8's. The 3.5 EcoTec pulls good 1800 thru 2600 rpm's. 2000/2200 works great. The GM 6.2, 3 of them, can't stay with it at that rpm. That's why I bought the Eco 3.5. I have had all GM pickups since 1972, but no more. The 2017 seems even stronger than the 2011, or 2014 of my son, and a snowmobile bud. The turbo is why it preforms very well in the altitude/mountains.

maddogg

Both the eco and the 5.0 will tow your trailer. I have a 2012 crew cab 150 and dad has had 2 eco's. Most recent is a 2016. I added helper shocks to my truck - decided against airbags. I like my 5.0 compared to the cost of the eco. Dad likes the eco as it has a little more power. I actually get better gas mileage towing with the 5 then towing with his. City driving and highway his might be a bit better - don't expect a whopping fuel savings as others have stated. I have not towed in the mountains. I don't like that I have to have my cab corners touched up due to rust, but hey its WI.

cuzzinolaf

Ha, my Eco-Diesel Dodge Ram gets 18mpg average towing a two place enclosed trailer to the UP. I think my lowest was around 15/16 mpg with a head wind, no joke.

snobuilder

From what I have experienced, and the torque curve charts, very much lower that the V-8's. The 3.5 EcoTec pulls good 1800 thru 2600 rpm's. 2000/2200 works great. The GM 6.2, 3 of them, can't stay with it at that rpm. That's why I bought the Eco 3.5. I have had all GM pickups since 1972, but no more. The 2017 seems even stronger than the 2011, or 2014 of my son, and a snowmobile bud. The turbo is why it preforms very well in the altitude/mountains.

227,000 on my 2008 Chev. 6.0 like a rock.
Any untouched turbos out there with the same?
It doesn't take much of a repair bill to equal your MPG happy dance.

old abe

227,000 on my 2008 Chev. 6.0 like a rock.
Any untouched turbos out there with the same?
It doesn't take much of a repair bill to equal your MPG happy dance.

Like I said, 6.0 is an older version/style engine. I never lost a old 350/5.7 other than a cam went out of one. You won't come close to those miles with a 5.3, or a 6.2 new GM.

ridindirty800

I have a 2003 F-150 with a Triton 5.4L, 185,000 miles and going strong! My good bud still has his 5.4L triton with 235,000 and both of our motors are untouched. Must be the Amsoil oil we use why our motors are still good LOL

sledneck

The Eco will tow whatever you need it to they are rated at 11,300 for a reason, use a eco to tow 8k (car hauler and a 1ton jeep on 42's) regularly in the summer months and occasionally in winter, no putting it in tow haul or anything just hook and go, but that is the 3.73 rear end. However it will use gas towing 11-12mpg is what you will see not better usually not less. Had a buddy with the 5.3 Gm who switched to the eco because it was struggling to maintain 70mph towing a car hauler with another truck on it not to mention the safety of it due to massive amount of squating. Now he has no problems hook and go which he really enjoys. Him being a die hard Gm fan it was hard for him to make the switch but now he's super glad he did as it does what he need. There's my 2 cents a Eco will do whatever you need it to.

old abe

I have a 2003 F-150 with a Triton 5.4L, 185,000 miles and going strong! My good bud still has his 5.4L triton with 235,000 and both of our motors are untouched. Must be the Amsoil oil we use why our motors are still good LOL

My sons best friend sounds just as you on the 5.4.

G

G

If you have the ching go for the newer 15 when Ford went with the new body style and aluminum. There is a huge improvement over the old body style. I have had both. They each had the 5 which I prefer. Not as snappy as an Eco but gets better mileage than an eco when towing. An Eco will pull anything but it will suck a lot of gas. There is something different about the suspension in the newer body style. It just tows better period. Also the lights are a huge step up. A lot of little things. Fords have been good to me although I don't ever own one past about 60000 miles. As far as wind noise on the new ones I have not noticed it. They are quiet. The only thing that makes noise is the box cover flapping around. Try before you buy.

jedoyle

I have a 2013 F150 V6 Eco. We pull a 23' enclosed trailer loaded with 3 sleds back & forth to the UP several times per winter & you hardly even know the trailer is back there. It tows awesome.