Tow vihicle question f150

sjb

Saber - I own a '12 ecoboost and very, very happy with the motor. Was a GM guy before this and more issues that I will discuss here. I will say, all trucks to seem to have some issues - and the eco I had a few problems at the start, but that was resolved under warrantee and since then no problems whatsoever. Sitting at around 60K miles.

I would guess about 1/2 my miles are towing. Summer - usually a 21' boat with a 300 horse on the back. Pulls like a dream. Winter pull my 16+5' enclosed with sleds. No issues at all. Have pulled my buddies 27+5' inline with 5 yami sleds. Know you know it was back there, but a few clicks with the electric brakes and we were pulling safely without issue. That trailer is usually pulled with his duramax. He has more power overall, but even when he drove my truck he was impressed on the amount of torque while pulling this load. I love the boost - once you have it tough to go back. Slight delay when kicking it down, but the motor really shines at the lower RPM's when compared to a normal gasser. I will have a tough time going back unless I upgrade to a diesel.

Mileage - I see between 10-16 pulling a load, very dependent on headwind - more so that any other truck I have owned. Unloaded - See between 16-26 mpg. The average I see pulling is around 12-13, unloaded 16-18. I am happy with this, for the power it has.

Also have pulled my boat on a 1000 trip with the 5.0 - very capable motor, but need to use the high rpm and the gears a lot more if you know what I mean.

legend02

Original owner of a 2004 F150 currently @ 166,xxx miles. Motor is still strong , towed 2 in a 10 ft tilt topper and one in the bed always with no issues, when I got the 12 ft Hybrid trailer it was like it was dragging mainly due to the Trailer being like a parachute but used it 3 years this way Never really check the mileage .

Yes things have had to been replaced , but the Drive-train is all original.

Recently replaced it with a 2016 F250 with the 6.2 motor, it's liked night and day towing but the gas mileage is around 10.0

old abe

The 03 older 5.4s are COMPLETELY different motors from the 04 newers... Again conflicting info...

Your so right indy_500. The 5.4 is a Triton series engine just as ridindirty800 said. I'm not sure what year was the last for the Triton series engines, but they were still using them after 03.

Last edited:

srt20

Your so right indy_500. The 5.4 is a Triton series engine just as ridindirty800 said. I'm not sure what year was the last for the Triton series engines, but they were still using them after 03.

They went from a 2 valve head to a 3 valve head. Increasing hp, and put more then 4 threads in for the spark plugs.
I'm guessing that's what Indy is talking about.

Every 5.4 I was around was a gutless wonder, but they all lasted forever.

yamadooed

They went from a 2 valve head to a 3 valve head. Increasing hp, and put more then 4 threads in for the spark plugs.

Lol them 5.4 torque numbers came in at low rpms making it a great tow motor. Had one of the original 5.4s in 97 in e150 and never had a plug issue nor did my 99 f150.

indy_500

The 3 valve has variable valve timing... Biggest issue with these motors is the cam phasers and/or timing chain issues. I don't know a lot of people with these trucks, but everyone I do know has had tons of issues ranging from junk motors from a timing chain, coil pack issues, transmission issues, etc. The 04-08 F150 isn't rated top 10 worst vehicles ever made for no reason... I'm not trying to knock you ford guys, the ecoboost and 5.0 are great options, just trying to point the OP in the right direction by suggesting to not consider a 5.4 so he can lower his chances of failure. Yes there are tons of people who own one without issue, I also own a polaris 800 and have never blown one up :p

old abe

Conflicting issues????????????? One says the 5.4 is junk, the other said they last forever??????? I say so what!!! to each his own!!!

frnash

… The 04-08 F150 isn't rated top 10 worst vehicles ever made for no reason …
So what Ford logo …

240px-Ford_Motor_Company_Logo.svg.png
… is found on that model?
Is it this one:
Ford
Or perhaps it's this one:
Turd

(I always thought that initial letter in the Ford logo looked more like a "T" than a "F".) :devilish:

indy_500

Conflicting issues????????????? One says the 5.4 is junk, the other said they last forever??????? I say so what!!! to each his own!!!

This is why I hardly bother to help or give advice on forums, just a waste of time. The 3 valve 5.4 is a notoriously problematic motor and there's no way around that. Sure there are plenty of people driving around without issues, just like there are plenty of people driving around polaris 800s without issues... Doesn't mean they are trouble free...

srt20

This is why I hardly bother to help or give advice on forums, just a waste of time. The 3 valve 5.4 is a notoriously problematic motor and there's no way around that. Sure there are plenty of people driving around without issues, just like there are plenty of people driving around polaris 800s without issues... Doesn't mean they are trouble free...
I hear ya. There is always an "internet mechanic" around....

old abe

I hear ya. There is always an "internet mechanic" around....

Careful here ("internet mechanic"). You could be "profiling"????? Sorry to upset you indy_500. I was just trying to throw a little humor at you. No harm intended. I still say so what!!!

toby1

like the old saying goes if it has t-ts tracks or tires its going to give you problems .every brand has its issue to just pick on one is foolish .that being said I have an eco boost f150 and it does a great job pulling as good if not better than a v8 .when pulling it gets v8 mileage .when you drive it like a car it gets car mileage .very happy with it so far and have not heard of any real problems with them .they seem to be putting the eco boost in a lot of vehicles now .so that should say something . I have also heard good things about the 5.0 .

meoget

They all suck. They will all break. They are all made by the same people, and most parts are made in the same shops. I have worked at a shop machining Chrysler parts, while my coworkers were making Ford, GM, and even foreign maker parts. The engineers have likely worked at competitors offices as well. The point I'm making, is that you should buy what you like, and are most comfortable in.
That being said, you should grab a 250/2500 if you want to tow a lot. Of course, the 150 will do it, but the 250 is better.

In my personal experience, GM products are worse than the rest. I have had a million (quite a few) vehicles, and the only ones to let me down were GM vehicles. Others may have different experiences. Also, when a company helps itself to our tax money, and then turns around and starts building Buick's (Buick Envision) in China to sell in the USA, I just can't say anything good about them, nor would I ever support them. Also, GM designs are, and always have been terrible. Oh, and a 2500 with CV's up front? Yeah, no.

"like the old saying goes if it has t-ts tracks or tires its going to give you problems .every brand has its issue to just pick on one is foolish .that being said I have an eco boost f150 and it does a great job pulling as good if not better than a v8 .when pulling it gets v8 mileage .when you drive it like a car it gets car mileage .very happy with it so far and have not heard of any real problems with them .they seem to be putting the eco boost in a lot of vehicles now .so that should say something . I have also heard good things about the 5.0 ."
This is spot on. Also, the ecoboost supposedly outperforms the v8 in pretty much every regard. I'm not a fan of turbos or the complexity they add, but hey, if it works, it works.

Enjoy your new truck, no matter what you choose.

old abe

They all suck. They will all break. They are all made by the same people, and most parts are made in the same shops. I have worked at a shop machining Chrysler parts, while my coworkers were making Ford, GM, and even foreign maker parts. The engineers have likely worked at competitors offices as well. The point I'm making, is that you should buy what you like, and are most comfortable in.
That being said, you should grab a 250/2500 if you want to tow a lot. Of course, the 150 will do it, but the 250 is better.

In my personal experience, GM products are worse than the rest. I have had a million (quite a few) vehicles, and the only ones to let me down were GM vehicles. Others may have different experiences. Also, when a company helps itself to our tax money, and then turns around and starts building Buick's (Buick Envision) in China to sell in the USA, I just can't say anything good about them, nor would I ever support them. Also, GM designs are, and always have been terrible. Oh, and a 2500 with CV's up front? Yeah, no.

"like the old saying goes if it has t-ts tracks or tires its going to give you problems .every brand has its issue to just pick on one is foolish .that being said I have an eco boost f150 and it does a great job pulling as good if not better than a v8 .when pulling it gets v8 mileage .when you drive it like a car it gets car mileage .very happy with it so far and have not heard of any real problems with them .they seem to be putting the eco boost in a lot of vehicles now .so that should say something . I have also heard good things about the 5.0 ."
This is spot on. Also, the ecoboost supposedly outperforms the v8 in pretty much every regard. I'm not a fan of turbos or the complexity they add, but hey, if it works, it works.

Enjoy your new truck, no matter what you choose.

Very well said!!! I might add, while looking to buy my new truck, I could not believe how many of the GM pickups are produced/built in Mexico. I also remember The GM bailout !!! Mexico was not the intent of the bailout in any way. And now to the t-ts thing, they have been causing problems for centuries, upon centuries!!!!! Long before trucks were thought of!!! Yep, I still say so what!!!

Last edited: