Track length input

hyrczyk

I going to be stretching my 01 T-Cat to give a little better off trail manners. Riding will be 60-70% on and the rest off. I am tossed up on either a 136 w/either a 1.25 ripsaw or 1.325 cobra or going with a 144" with the tip up rails with same track options. My only concerns about the 144 would be making it handle worse than a 136 and killing off to much top end compared to the 136. Any input would be great.

m8man

I personally use a 153" on my M8 but 90% if not more is off trail.. I have a buddy that rides a 136 and for the most part he can go everywhere I can... The only time you see a difference is climbing in the steep and deep but I think the 144 wouldn't suit you well on the trails...

later

m8man

Y

yama_yooper

Remember that the actual "on the snow" difference in length between a 136" and 144" is only 4".

Personally, I would go for the 144". It will perform much better off trail, and the extra length will have much less impact on trail.

I stretched my '05 Warrior out to 151", and run a 1.5" Camoplast Crossover track. There was not a lot of difference in the on trail manners between the original 136" and the stretched version.

Make sure you have the gearing/clutching set up properly to go with the longer track, and you will be all set.

I actually get much better acceleration with the longer track, due to the huge increase in traction.

Top end???? Well, I really am not concerned there, but it will still hit triple digits (based on the speedometer).

mn_mxz

I think that either 136" or 144" would be fine. I run 136" on both my sled and the wife's. If you are looking for an off trail track do get the ripsaw, from what I hear they are no good off trail. I have heard good things about the cobra track. What ever you decide for length you will be happy. A long track sled rides really nice on the trail.

zimmbob

You'll be happier with the 144" off trail. But I think off trail the biggest difference maker is the paddle length. You can have a 163" track, but if it's only a 1" lug, you'll have lots of spin and little traction in the soft snow. Put a 2" paddle on a 121", and you'll fly around deep soft powder all day. Strange as it seems, the longer lugs really don't hurt trail riding much at all. Especially in the UP where the trails have such an awesome base, they dig right in.

So, if you are hesitant on 144, then go 136 but take the step up to at a minimum 1.5" lugs, and better yet, 1.75" or 2". You'll be so much happier with the performance off trail, you'll soon be 60% off trail and 40% on!

mezz

If you are going to ride majority on trail, the Rip Saw will be fine, but, it won't really cut it in the pow. With this change, be prepared for this sled to push into the sharp turns on the trail as I am sure you are aware, it is front heavy & throttle strong. If it will fit, I would recommend 1.5 lug & up. Check on the clearance at the front exchanger, I am not sure how tall of a lug you can go on that sled, stock was a .85 lug.-Mezz

hyrczyk

Thanks for all of the input so far. If I went with the 136 with 1.5 lugs how much will the 1.5 lugs hurt the top end/ability to reach tripple digits? Also how durable are the 1.5 tracks vs the 1.325 cobra and will there be much difference in performance between them on/off trail? Was looking at the intense track from tracks USA. Sorry about all the questions-just trying to make a well informed decision before I start the work on my baby.

ezra

144 you can get allot of hardly used 144 1.25 and 1.325 tracks on snowest for cheep .I would go 144 for sure. I also like the bigger lug but if you did the 144 over the 136 you could get away with the 1.25because you have 2 extra lugs on the ground.and I really dont think you will fit studs for a 1.5 track in a t cat and why have a t cat that you cant ice race it is sacrilegious. I think you can have your green card taken for that

polarisrider1

My trail sled 40% on 60% off is a 144x2x15, and my off trail is a 151x2x15 90%off and 10% on. Run scrathers if you go 2" lug on trail. Groomers love me. Seriously I go gentle on the trails, I gain nothing by tearing them up. A 144x1.5x15 will best suite you.

stealthv

A Thundercat was made to go screaming WFO across a lake - Don't turn it into something it was never meant to be.

Put some money away over the next year and find a nice used Crossfire or M.

ezra

did cat not make a long track thunder I dont remember but I thought they had a 1000 3cyl mountain.and you thought it was a bear digging out your buddys yammi have your AAA payed up

ezra

ps last week I was at a buds who was just finishing up his thunder 1300 project that will be a fun sled to race

hyrczyk

Cat did make a mtn version-I think it had a 144. Only reason I am looking at this project is that I like how this sled is over all and it is payed for. I can't really justify buying a 5k plus sled right now or next year due to a possible endevour I am looking at entering into and this way would cost me right at 1k to get done and give me some thing a little more versitile. Granted it is heavy.

hyrczyk

It will be less than a G but I am going to add a custom rear heat exchanger to aid in cooling for those days when I might need it.

booondocker

That cat IS heavy which is why you need more track and longer lugs...both. At least 144, 151 better still and 2 inch lugs are optimum. That 1/2 lug length will make quite a difference in the powder, and you won't notice any handicap on trail, except for the rooster-tail that machine will kick up behind you.

It rides over the mogels better on trail, and off trail it won't stop if you won't.

You will definitely need to add heat exchanger because that beast will over heat on you quicker than you can spin the track. But once you do all that, it will be a decent machine on or off trail. Surely you know top end will suffer some, not because the engine can't crank it out, but more because to avoid eating belts you need to gear down some. Once you do that the machine will come alive at lower rpms, and you will climb like you never thought possible.

She's a beast, but she is also a legend. One of the best early muscle sleds, in my opinion.

ezra

I think it is more than just opinion more like fact. just like the 03 04fire cat in the 700 class the t cat in the day was cleaning up wins at the track and still today hard to beat.

nrascals

buy as cheep as you can
get as much padle as you can
the 1 3/4 121" race will help pick your front end
the 144" will move your axle back&you forward(great ride)
clutch and gear to match track change
any increase in padle size is better than stock" off trail"

indy_500

i was going to long track mine because i was going to go to haydays. but saved money and didn't go to haydays woulda cost over $200 for hotel on gas money

ezra

maybe next yr you can put the sled shed back on the trailer drive it in to hay days winter sled storage summer hay days camper