Trail 15 Iron River MI

dfattack

I seem to remember a thread about this but couldn't find it. Does anyone know if the bridge is repaired that was causing this trail to not be groomed it? Haven't heard anything in about a month and was just curious.

whitedust

Phone line says still out plus abandoned groomer still on 107. I don’t remember a groomer being down this long and left on trail before. However it sounds like 15 to Sidnaw is open from east thru Amasa 111.

old abe

Phone line says still out plus abandoned groomer still on 107. I don’t remember a groomer being down this long and left on trail before. However it sounds like 15 to Sidnaw is open from east thru Amasa 111.
Hmmmm? Sounds like a major groomer issue? Engine, transmission/rearend, not good out on the trail?

ridindirty800

Groomer still on 107 as of Thursday. We were in Kenton and a few guys came up the trail and said do not ride it’s 2’ moguls and has not been groomed in weeks. All other trails were great in area with new snow.

goofy600

I know I posted they were going to try ands get it open before season ends, that came from my dnr contact but I haven’t heard or for that matter asked again about it. As for the groomer down on 107 I heard it was an engine but not positive, they did get it moved off the trail but it’s way back in there so no good way to get it out I guess. And yes 107 is brutal.

whitedust

I know I posted they were going to try ands get it open before season ends, that came from my dnr contact but I haven’t heard or for that matter asked again about it. As for the groomer down on 107 I heard it was an engine but not positive, they did get it moved off the trail but it’s way back in there so no good way to get it out I guess. And yes 107 is brutal.
I saw 107 get moguled like that once before so it will take multiple groomings to get in good shape again which puts more traffic on 3. Really no other way north with 15 closed too. Tuff year for Iron Range.

dfattack

That's good news. Once I passed into MIchigan (Iron River Trails) they definitely could use a groom.

snomoman

Oh boy did we get brutalized on 107 the other day, you’re not kidding about the 2 foot moguls…although on a positive note the southern side 5 or 6 miles were okay which gave us some muscle relief, I’m sure the traffic on 107 has increased from 15 having the bridge out

goofy600

Oh boy did we get brutalized on 107 the other day, you’re not kidding about the 2 foot moguls…although on a positive note the southern side 5 or 6 miles were okay which gave us some muscle relief, I’m sure the traffic on 107 has increased from 15 having the bridge out
Yes 15 being closed had a little to do with it but it all comes down to the groomer that broke down on 107 that is when it started not getting groomed on a daily basis then the warm up stopped grooming then the rain came followed by cold which froze all the moguls and still lack of consistent grooming (probably because groomer is still down has turned 107 into a mine field. This late in the year I don’t know if they will be able to get it back to what it can be.

dfattack

I rode in Florence and a little bit in Michigan (trail 2) yesterday. Florence has been doing a great job the last several years and even their trails were tough. 10" of fluff on solid ice...holy cow. EVERY corner was already blown out with the high traffic and I had to be extremely careful on every corner as I didn't want to meet a tree. Almost not worth riding to me. I know that seems weird but I was more concerned about not sliding off the trail than having fun to be honest. The guy I was riding with had an ice ripper track and he was sliding all over. That melt down really effected things to the point where 10" of new snow almost wasn't enough. I was a little surprised to be honest.

pclark

I rode in Florence and a little bit in Michigan (trail 2) yesterday. Florence has been doing a great job the last several years and even their trails were tough. 10" of fluff on solid ice...holy cow. EVERY corner was already blown out with the high traffic and I had to be extremely careful on every corner as I didn't want to meet a tree. Almost not worth riding to me. I know that seems weird but I was more concerned about not sliding off the trail than having fun to be honest. The guy I was riding with had an ice ripper track and he was sliding all over. That melt down really effected things to the point where 10" of new snow almost wasn't enough. I was a little surprised to be honest.
I haven't been out since we got all the snow so I was wondering how the trails were, you kind of confirmed my thoughts. There were tons of snowmobiles up here this weekend and one death so far in Oneida County. Supposed to get 3-6 of wet snow Monday but no real cold after that (it is March so there is probably only a couple more weeks left) to set up the trails hard. I'm going next week to get a couple rides in and then who knows what will happen? It's been a pretty nice winter this year but it all comes to an end eventually.

whitedust

I haven't been out since we got all the snow so I was wondering how the trails were, you kind of confirmed my thoughts. There were tons of snowmobiles up here this weekend and one death so far in Oneida County. Supposed to get 3-6 of wet snow Monday but no real cold after that (it is March so there is probably only a couple more weeks left) to set up the trails hard. I'm going next week to get a couple rides in and then who knows what will happen? It's been a pretty nice winter this year but it all comes to an end eventually.
From experience that’s how it usually plays out. If you live there you can pick and choose the best of it otherwise it boils down to conditions that dfattack described rideable but need to ride with extreme caution. I was good to go next week but decided against it with rain, snow and sun in the forecast it will be a hodgepodge of conditions so the fat lady unfortunately sang for me. I sure hope next season is more consistent temperatures with a good healthy snowfall over WI and UP.

pclark

From experience that’s how it usually plays out. If you live there you can pick and choose the best of it otherwise it boils down to conditions that dfattack described rideable but need to ride with extreme caution. I was good to go next week but decided against it with rain, snow and sun in the forecast it will be a hodgepodge of conditions so the fat lady unfortunately sang for me. I sure hope next season is more consistent temperatures with a good healthy snowfall over WI and UP.
Yep, I think there is a couple of rides left but it looks like rain/ice for most south of Vilas, hopefully all snow for us. Let's keep in touch for next year and try and get a ride in.

indy_500

Man you guys sound too picky. Most local trails opened up down here for the first time and there’s people ripping brand new sleds on 10” of snow with no base across plowed fields.

whitedust

Man you guys sound too picky. Most local trails opened up down here for the first time and there’s people ripping brand new sleds on 10” of snow with no base across plowed fields.
Go for it not for me or my guys can’t plan destination trips we are accustomed to ride. That’s what makes the world go round different opinions and I certainly wouldn’t try to discourage any riding for you. Enjoy.