Trail 2 - Losing a section due to change of ownership

uncle_ed

The section west of the lake going north looks like part of the old trail. I'm not familiar with Ride Command. I'm curious which establishment has a trail going right to their door? It would be a real slap if that is one of the Snowriver locations.
The trail is right along the iron belle there before it gets north and paralells us#2. The establishment is Jagger`s Ore house.

snobuilder

The negative response to SnoRiver is on their Facebook page reviews. Go there, start reading. That is the negative response being commented on.

To the land owners that have graciously opened their property for 1 year I say thank you. Unfortunately I have very little hope that individuals who think because they buy a trail pass they now have the right to go wherever they want are going to magically wake up and fall in line.

Yes the tracks disappear, but that isn't the issue. It's respect for others. Just like you don't have to constantly be on the throttle, off the throttle to make yourself look big and Macho. An aftermarket can does not make a great snowmobiler. It's just annoying.
I saw nothing negative on the Facebook page from the club like I am seeing on here, which echoes some of the libby bitch posts on FB as well.
Go ahead and condemn your fellow snowmobilers as being less responsible as your virtue signaling self, but that wasn't the reason the club lost the trail access. It was out of hand "eff you sledders" we own this now and go eff yurself.
Either you are pro sleds or not. If you want to call me or any other snowmobilers as being irresponsible with no proof than eff you too.

goofy600

I saw nothing negative on the Facebook page from the club like I am seeing on here, which echoes some of the libby bitch posts on FB as well.
Go ahead and condemn your fellow snowmobilers as being less responsible as your virtue signaling self, but that wasn't the reason the club lost the trail access. It was out of hand "eff you sledders" we own this now and go eff yurself.
Either you are pro sleds or not. If you want to call me or any other snowmobilers as being irresponsible with no proof than eff you too.
You are correct that new owners closed there land to sleds, but do you know why the trail was rerouted onto the ski hill land in the first place? Was that also because land owners also decided they didn’t like snowmobilers anymore either? Maybe or it could also be trail idiots couldn’t follow the rule so they closed there land to the trail. Hard to say without getting all the info from people that had to deal with it the first time, but if you think that all trail closures and reroutes have nothing to do with asshat, can’t follow the rules sledders, maybe you fit that bill.

WorkHardPlayHrd

I never, ever, ever said that you were irresponsible. I believe the opposite to be true. I know you love to sled.

Am I pro snowmobiling yes. Am I pro I'm a snowmobiler and I can do what I want, where I want, Whenever I want no. If you honestly believe there are those out there that don't act and think that way I don't know what to say to you. For I have run into them myself on the trails, and watched them go where they should not go.

I have never said anybody on this site was anything but respectful to others. I thought the reason we were on this site was to talk about snowmobiling and the issues that affect it.

There are 3 sections of trail in my area that are touch and go because people can't stay on a 20 ft wide trail. So the problem definitely exists.

snobuilder

You are correct that new owners closed there land to sleds, but do you know why the trail was rerouted onto the ski hill land in the first place? Was that also because land owners also decided they didn’t like snowmobilers anymore either? Maybe or it could also be trail idiots couldn’t follow the rule so they closed there land to the trail. Hard to say without getting all the info from people that had to deal with it the first time, but if you think that all trail closures and reroutes have nothing to do with asshat, can’t follow the rules sledders, maybe you fit that bill.
....Yep yur better than me....I am the guy getting trails closed....lets eat our own....LOL.....BRRRRRAAAAAAAP! ...music to my ears!...melts the kayaks right off the subaru roofs !!!!

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

UPDATE...From the GRTA facebook page...MDNR approved the new rerouted trail...Heres a cut n paste...
Trail 2 snowmobile-only reroute between Bessemer and Wakefield is not open yet, however with MDNR's official approval this morning we took a huge step forward!! We have work requiring heavy equipment and that will take place next week, so read this a few times, the reroute is not open yet. We have much signing to complete, but the trail crew brushed the road route "semi-groomed" section, shown in pictures. Thank you to our community, the amazing dynamic group that is working so hard to keep this trail connector open. We don't have much snow, but you can see how suitable this road route section will be. Be sure to support our sponsors like IncredibleBank Ironwood!! We will host a ribbon cutting when the trail is opened.

catspaz8

Just saw an article saying all was good to go and trail will be ready in 2-3 weeks after some Bulldozing brushing and signing.

MKW

Thanks much for all you guys have done. I'm a very active club member/groomer operator/trail boss in our area so I know what all goes into make it happen. We will be sure to patronize the bussiness that support snowmobiling in the Ironwood/Bessemer area. Look forward to seeing you all soon....

eao

Dec. 8, 2022
Contact: Ron Yesney 906-228-6561 or John Pepin, 906-226-1352
DNR: Cooperative agreement establishes snowmobile trail reroute in Gogebic County
A trail reroute agreement has been reached in Gogebic County that will allow an important snowmobile trail segment to remain open this winter.
Snow River Mountain Resort (formerly Big Snow Resorts aka Indianhead and Blackjack) – part of Midwest Family Ski Resorts – announced in a Sept. 13 email the resort would no longer allow snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle operation on resort property.

The closure along Snowmobile Trail UP 2 eliminated trail access between Wakefield and Ironwood, affecting the communities of Bessemer and Ironwood most directly. The trail is managed by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and the Gogebic Range Trail Authority.
After several weeks of work trying to develop a reroute, an agreement was reached this week.

“This is great news for snowmobiling and the communities that rely on its economic lifeblood in the western Upper Peninsula,” said Ron Yesney, U.P. trails coordinator with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources Parks and Recreation Division. “We will continue to work on establishing this route in concert with our numerous partners involved in this effort.”

Key to finding the reroute solution were private landowners Cory and Sandra Leuzzo, who granted permission for the trail to be rerouted over their property.

Other entities that aided the DNR and Gogebic Range Trail Authority included, the city of Wakefield, Bessemer Township and the Gogebic County Road Commission.

The reroute will be located south of U.S. Highway 2 and connect Ramsay with Wakefield. The trail will also use a significant portion of Old U.S. Highway 2.

“The city of Wakefield and Bessemer Township both retained the right to cancel their permits for the trail reroute with 14-days-notice,” Yesney said. “The trail permissions will stay in place as long as the trail remains safe and conflicts between motorists and snowmobiles along Old U.S. 2 and Cemetery Road do not occur.”

Snowmobilers should travel at a safe speed, observing municipal speed limits and ride with caution and respect.
To find out the latest information on DNR closures to trails, boating access sites and other amenities, visit Michigan.gov/DNRClosures.
For more information on snowmobiling in Michigan, visit Michigan.gov/Snowmobiling.

euphoric1

Key words in above post... "key to finding reroute was permission from PRIVATE LANDOWNERS who GRANTED PERMISSION for trail to be routed over THEIR PROPERTY and snowmobilers should travel at SAFE speed, observing speed limits and ride with CAUTION and RESPECT. that about sums it up on how to retain our valuable trail system, let's just hope the few don't ruin it for the many.

snobuilder

Dec. 8, 2022
Contact: Ron Yesney 906-228-6561 or John Pepin, 906-226-1352

Key to finding the reroute solution were private landowners Cory and Sandra Leuzzo, who granted permission for the trail to be rerouted over their property.

Other entities that aided the DNR and Gogebic Range Trail Authority included, the city of Wakefield, Bessemer Township and the Gogebic County Road Commission.

The reroute will be located south of U.S. Highway 2 and connect Ramsay with Wakefield. The trail will also use a significant portion of Old U.S. Highway 2.

“The city of Wakefield and Bessemer Township both retained the right to cancel their permits for the trail reroute with 14-days-notice,” Yesney said. “The trail permissions will stay in place as long as the trail remains safe and conflicts between motorists and snowmobiles along Old U.S. 2 and Cemetery Road do not occur.”

Snowmobilers should travel at a safe speed, observing municipal speed limits and ride with caution and respect.
To find out the latest information on DNR closures to trails, boating access sites and other amenities, visit Michigan.gov/DNRClosures.
For more information on snowmobiling in Michigan, visit Michigan.gov/Snowmobiling.
Thank you Cory and Sandra. I hope that you both have ridden snowmobiles, if not now, at least one time in your life.