Truckin to the U.P.

M4me

Finally scored a load that delivers to Ironwood and Hancock for Monday. Be on the lookout for: IMG_0359.JPG

M4me

Since I have never driven on snow with duals I really cant answer that. But if you think about it, if you add up the surface area making contact with the road on the duals, it about the same surface area as the super singles.
I have not had any troubles in snow with these and I have been in all weather conditions possible from coast to coast, and then some.

M4me

I wish!

If only I had the room or time. Don't think the Company would be happy seeing an M on the trailer either.

I work at a truck stop. Some guys say they like em others don't. They suck to mount and dis-mount. And if you get a flat, your SOL. It will wreck rim. New aluminum rim is 5 bills+.

Cat600

How do those super singles work on snowy roads?

A lot of the drivers I work with HATE them for winter driving. Less traction cause the tire footprint isn't as spread out, and as mxz500rider said, you get a flat and you're screwed, both in time sitting on the side of the road and $$$. Hardly seems worth the little bit of gas they save.

But to each his own.

jr37

How do those super singles work on snowy roads?

We had the super singles on our last tractors at work. Nobody liked them in the winter at all, just no traction. They would even spin on wet roads if the truck was not loaded. We got new trucks this fall, back to the duals, and no complaints so far this winter.

M4me

My understanding as to why our Company went to the SS set up was for the weight savings over the Dual set up. The more weight taken off the truck means the more weight you can load on. They have even removed some side boxes from most of their trailers for the same reason, which sucks because it limits the room you have to store gear.

racerx

Wow eventhe trucking business is getting the "tight" squeeze, guess no industry is safe anymore, next thing is they will be putting limits on your gear or even your actual person weight.

I was thinking the SS wheels would act a little different in snow since it is a wide area and harder for the snow to "escape" from the center whereas with the duals it can escape in the middle

I would have thought these were designed to take the load of a flat and get to safety, but that would be a big problem being having to stop immediately for repair. I know the rim costs are pricey, when I was having problems with my forged wheels cracking in the Northwoods cold I was going to go with Alcoas and it was not long before I talked myself out of it especially since I do not haul heavy, just could not justify it.

jr37

The SS tires are really loud when they blow, also. We had a truck blow a tire in Wausau one night. While the driver was waiting for service to come and change the tire, he had a cop come and ask if he had heard a gun shot. The police dept. had a report of a gun shot in the area. A SS tire is at least that loud when it blows, and that's what the driver told the cop.

racerx

I'm not a fan of the "rounded off" modern designs but the truck I always have wanted is a T2000, altho being a Cummins guy it would be hard to pass up a Cat, we do a lot of work for Cat so I guess it is not a bad trade off.

ubee

u need a big net !! LOL!! "You know the old saying …
"Old truckers never die, they just net a new Peterbuilt!"

ezra

The SS tires are really loud when they blow, also. We had a truck blow a tire in Wausau one night. While the driver was waiting for service to come and change the tire, he had a cop come and ask if he had heard a gun shot. The police dept. had a report of a gun shot in the area. A SS tire is at least that loud when it blows, and that's what the driver told the cop.

so where did he hide the dead hooker

M4me

Sitting in Ironwood for the night. Unload half the.trailer in the a.m. Then off to Hancock to deliver the rest. Ezra,,LOL!