UP trail 109

Sledhead!

All I’ve heard is bad intel on 109, anyone have anything new on the 109? We’re wanting to take it tomorrow (Friday) but have heard nothing but nightmares....??

D

Deleted member 10829

Which 109? 109 coming off of 12 south of Mass City and heading down to Sidnaw is phenomenal! It's a new trail this year due to a washout and you would love it. Now 109 south of Twin Lakes is another story. It's good for a while where The Superior Snowmobile club grooms it, but half way down it has not been groomed all year as of last week. Stay off that trail, unless it has been groomed lately, but I doubt it. I hope this helps.

wiharley02

According to most recent report out of Barage Visitors Bureau (who hasn't been good at reporting even weekly this year) on the north section of 109 (from Twin Lakes down through Alston to east end of trail 12), they "made it through" with a groomer, breaking through some swamps, from the east end of 12 (Pori Road) up to M-38. That still leaves a miles-long stretch of 109 from M-38 north to power lines section where Superior Snowmobile club comes down from Twin Lakes and turns around. People I know about 2 weeks ago drove through that untouched section of 109, said it had not seen a groomer yet, downed trees over trail, and single tracks through the woods made by previous riders to get around trouble areas in the "trail".

If you know you're way around that neck of the woods, I think there are some government trails (town roads) that you can take to get around some of the garbage that should be snow covered and ride-able, but this is only what I've heard, have not done it personally.

I'll be up in the area Sunday-Wednesday, and plan to outright avoid the north section of 109. It's nice when it's groomed, but that's not very often due to wet areas, tight woods sections, and sometimes low snow conditions. This year it's even worse since this north section of 109 (Baraga trail territory) is no longer contiguous with the rest of the Barage trail territory.

old abe

According to most recent report out of Barage Visitors Bureau (who hasn't been good at reporting even weekly this year) on the north section of 109 (from Twin Lakes down through Alston to east end of trail 12), they "made it through" with a groomer, breaking through some swamps, from the east end of 12 (Pori Road) up to M-38. That still leaves a miles-long stretch of 109 from M-38 north to power lines section where Superior Snowmobile club comes down from Twin Lakes and turns around. People I know about 2 weeks ago drove through that untouched section of 109, said it had not seen a groomer yet, downed trees over trail, and single tracks through the woods made by previous riders to get around trouble areas in the "trail".

If you know you're way around that neck of the woods, I think there are some government trails (town roads) that you can take to get around some of the garbage that should be snow covered and ride-able, but this is only what I've heard, have not done it personally.

I'll be up in the area Sunday-Wednesday, and plan to outright avoid the north section of 109. It's nice when it's groomed, but that's not very often due to wet areas, tight woods sections, and sometimes low snow conditions. This year it's even worse since this north section of 109 (Baraga trail territory) is no longer contiguous with the rest of the Barage trail territory.

Baraga does a piss poor job, if they even groom north of Alston to, the Power Lines turn around point with Superior Snowmobile Club. Even when conditions are PRISTINE, so I wouldn't be surprised if they even try this year! A real bunch of do little if anything at all groomers!

WorkHardPlayHrd

Baraga does a piss poor job, if they even groom north of Alston to, the Power Lines turn around point with Superior Snowmobile Club. Even when conditions are PRISTINE, so I wouldn't be surprised if they even try this year! A real bunch of do little if anything at all groomers!

Wow Abe I sense some resentment. I gave up on that section of 109 years ago. My experience was end of March, ice, and they had thrown beautiful clover hay bales out. Guess where all the deer were.

old abe

Wow Abe I sense some resentment. I gave up on that section of 109 years ago. My experience was end of March, ice, and they had thrown beautiful clover hay bales out. Guess where all the deer were.

Yes, and it's such a beautiful area. I to have watched as they have some excuses, but they have abused them far too long! The DNR needs to address the trail 109 from the power lines south to Alston. Baraga groomers do a poor job even when having the best conditions to work with. It could be improved, and doesn't have to be as it is. Dangerous.

garageguy

Maybe youse guys could go join there club and see if you could do some good and get things straightened out. In the meantime I'd suggest ridding Forest, northern Oconto. Northern Marinet county's conditions were fabulous all weekend!!

POLARISDAN

All I’ve heard is bad intel on 109, anyone have anything new on the 109? We’re wanting to take it tomorrow (Friday) but have heard nothing but nightmares....??

jud the 109 reroute is great..was good condition sunday..was gonna take you on it till i had to change plans..but should be great..sidnaw grooming is great

old abe

Maybe youse guys could go join there club and see if you could do some good and get things straightened out. In the meantime I'd suggest ridding Forest, northern Oconto. Northern Marinet county's conditions were fabulous all weekend!!

We have been members of a club next to them for many years. The DNR should resolve this issue of Baraga not grooming that section from Alston to the power line turn around. Baraga's groomers don't groom it even when they can! Sad, but so it is!

goofy600

From what I noticed the groomer comes down from Rousseau past bob lake and meets with groomer from south (Baraga) I would guess. So then the Baraga groomer would have to travel over the area that is groomed from Rousseau area to get to this area that is not groomed. Is this correct? If so the DNR and Michigan snowmobile alliance need to get together with all the clubs involved (Baraga, one from Rousseau direction and one from Twin lakes area) and see if they could change some coverage areas. Just a thought but if Baraga could go up to Pori road Twin lakes go down to Alston and Rousseau goes from S Laired rd to Alston. Yes sounds way easier then it would be to get done but maybe it could be done and fix a big problem in that area. Just my thoughts.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
Baraga grooms to the 12/109 intersection. Superior club grooms from Rousseau, trail12, to the 109/12 intersection, then turns around and heads back. Superior grooms 109 from Twin Lakes to the power lines, and turns around. Barage grooms from 109/12 intersection to the power lines, turns around and comes back. Except they never groom from 109/12 intersection to the power lines lol.

old abe

Baraga grooms to the 12/109 intersection. Superior club grooms from Rousseau, trail12, to the 109/12 intersection, then turns around and heads back. Superior grooms 109 from Twin Lakes to the power lines, and turns around. Barage grooms from 109/12 intersection to the power lines, turns around and comes back. Except they never groom from 109/12 intersection to the power lines lol.

Exactly Skylar! Baraga will groom from 109/12 intersection to Alston only if they, Baraga Tourism Bureau, gets enough complaints. But then still leave the 109 trail from Alston north to the powerlines turnaround untouched! Sucks! Calling, and complaining to the Baraga Chamber of Commerce gets better results. Baraga Tourism Bureau will lie, and make up phony excuses for their not doing the grooming that they are responsible for on that section of 109. Just plain inept, incompetence on Baraga's grooming for way too many YEARS!

pman

On Monday we rode from Pat's Yamaha down to Sidnaw on 12 and the 109 re-route and back. Absolutely awesome. We met the groomer along the way, and he groomed from the barn near Pat's south to the halfway point to Sidnaw (21 miles) and back up to the barn.

catspaz8

On Monday we rode from Pat's Yamaha down to Sidnaw on 12 and the 109 re-route and back. Absolutely awesome. We met the groomer along the way, and he groomed from the barn near Pat's south to the halfway point to Sidnaw (21 miles) and back up to the barn.

Different part of 109 than is being discussed....

mrsrunningbear

Sno Valley Riders from Bruce Crossing/Sidnaw groom 109 south of Rousseau to Sidnaw where it meets Trail 15 to Trail 8 they are grooming it nightly

goofy600

Sno Valley Riders from Bruce Crossing/Sidnaw groom 109 south of Rousseau to Sidnaw where it meets Trail 15 to Trail 8 they are grooming it nightly

So Sno Valley goes up to where they meet up with Superior club about 1/2 way or so to Rousseau? If this is the cast and the Baraga groomer stops at the 8/15 109 intersection that puts them probably about 20 or so miles from that last small section around Alston which means they would have to road run to get to a small section or get a groomer in Alston for that short section or try to get another club that is actually connected to that section to take it over. But that will take a lot of work between the DNR and the clubs in that area to figure out.

1fujifilm

So Sno Valley goes up to where they meet up with Superior club about 1/2 way or so to Rousseau? If this is the cast and the Baraga groomer stops at the 8/15 109 intersection that puts them probably about 20 or so miles from that last small section around Alston which means they would have to road run to get to a small section or get a groomer in Alston for that short section or try to get another club that is actually connected to that section to take it over. But that will take a lot of work between the DNR and the clubs in that area to figure out.

I don't know the details on getting it groomed but the traffic count might justify this being accommodated, this is a major thoroughfare.

Bear

goofy600

I don't know the details on getting it groomed but the traffic count might justify this being accommodated, this is a major thoroughfare.

Bear
I agree but being it is for better terms land locked from Baraga with out a long road run they either need to leave a groomer in that area (easiest but costly) for that short stretch or try and get help from other clubs to pick up that area which is easier said than done. And does the small town of Alston even care if snowmobiles even come through the area? Yes it is shorter to go through Alston but sense the reroute you come out so close to Rousseau going that way then to Mass and up isn’t that much farther.

old abe

Baraga is supposed to groom not just from Laird rd. to Alston, but to continue on 109 north to the power line turn around where Superior club takes it on north to trail 3 jct. It has been this way forever. Yes with the 109 reroute it is somewhat more difficult, but they still groom from Laird rd to Alston. They just don't finish from Alston north to the powerline turnaround. It's not just this year, goofy600. This has been going on for many, many years now, and it seems to be getting worse every year that passes. It has got to the point that many, many riders have justly gave up on the trail due to it having horrendous moguls, rough, and plain dangerous. This being due to it not being groomed as it should be, and COULD be. Over the years, my wife and I have come upon several accidents due to the trail being in such very poor condition. One of the accidents, years back, being a very serious leg injury. It doesn't have to be this way!

Last edited:

goofy600

Baraga is supposed to groom not just from Laird rd. to Alston, but to continue on 109 north to the power line turn around where Superior club takes it on north to trail 3 jct. It has been this way forever. Yes with the 109 reroute it is somewhat more difficult, but they still groom from Laird rd to Alston. They just don't finish from Alston north to the powerline turnaround. It's not just this year, goofy600. This has been going on for many, many years now, and it seems to be getting worse every year that passes.
Agree it’s been years that they have done a poor job of this area. And I have only been from Rousseau to Sidnaw this year didn’t try to go to Alston this year so did not know they groom that part. Besides complaining to Baraga chamber I was just thinking about other options. This sounds like the DNR and the MSA also need to get involved but that is only going to work if people of influence get involved also.