UP trail 109

old abe

Agree it’s been years that they have done a poor job of this area. And I have only been from Rousseau to Sidnaw this year didn’t try to go to Alston this year so did not know they groom that part. Besides complaining to Baraga chamber I was just thinking about other options. This sounds like the DNR and the MSA also need to get involved but that is only going to work if people of influence get involved also.

Yes, agree with all.

my .02....If Baraga is not going to, or cannot, maintain the lower half of 109 from the power lines thru Alston to 12 , then Superior should close the upper half of 109 at Twin Lakes until something can be done.....
.....a shame, but until something happens, the longer reroute will have to do for now.....

ICT Sledder

The fact that there's now two 109's makes this issue all the more complicated in discussion. Who's bright idea was it to give the new trail the same number?

So "new" 109 Mass to Sidnaw... nice trail and grooming right?

"Old" 109 Twin Lakes to 12 junction... not being groomed south of the groomer turn-around halfway through (or whatever it is), right? The south section of that trail is now closed (looking at the DNR map)? Is that permanent?

What a cluster.

I don't know that I've ever once been on the Baraga side of the "old" 109 and had even an average trail. I'm not an expert on how trail funding and allocation is handled by the state, but if Baraga gets money for work they don't do then you would think someone would pull that portion of their funding. Just a little bit fraudulent, isn't it? Where's the money going then?

legend02

The fact that there's now two 109's makes this issue all the more complicated in discussion. Who's bright idea was it to give the new trail the same number? Yea Great Idea :(

So "new" 109 Mass to Sidnaw... nice trail and grooming right? Have rode it several times this year, been great every time.
:)

All reports Ive seen say the reroute to/from Sidnaw is an excellent trail and a fun ride.....just adds about 30 mi to get to/from Twin Lakes.
The washout could take a couple years to repair, say the DNR

goofy600

It is a temporary REROUTE, due to the huge washout by Silver Mtn on the original 109. Get it?

If it is a temporary reroute has anyone said how long before silver mountain road is going repaired? Kind of like when the bridge on 1100 was removed I don’t think our government is going to move very fast on fixing area by silver mountain. So I got a feeling reroute will be there for a long time.

old abe

Yes I know that, what's your point. The Question asked how it was from Mass to Signaw .

I was referring to your quoting, "Who's bright idea was it to give the new trail the same number"? in post #24. If it's a reroute, it will have the same trail # as it not being on another previously existing trail.

Last edited:

WorkHardPlayHrd

my .02....If Baraga is not going to, or cannot, maintain the lower half of 109 from the power lines thru Alston to 12 , then Superior should close the upper half of 109 at Twin Lakes until something can be done.....
.....a shame, but until something happens, the longer reroute will have to do for now.....

For the safety of people who might not know the area this would probably be a smart idea. Those that know, aren't going to go.

POLARISDAN

ok..first of all..alston bar is a dump..so why would anyone go there..

the route through from old 109 to twin..to the power lines is useless..to tight ungroomed and to twisted..needs to be widened to be any good..

we dont even acknowledge the existence of that trail..

but here is my thought..and was gonna start a thread and still might..but when they fix the bridge.. both need to stay open..it would make a great loop to sidnaw from roseauu and back

There is a 2 page article about the washout, repair plan and reroute in Jan/Feb Snowtech magazine.....
Ottawa Ntl Forest says repair to the washout WILL happen, hopefully by summer, as this is a ntl forest road route.
Old 109 will take some major re-work for groomers to get thru....., ..lots of trees down, water holes and lowland twistys
And yep .....it would be great if they kept the re-route open when all work is done.

goofy600

There is a 2 page article about the washout, repair plan and reroute in Jan/Feb Snowtech magazine.....
Ottawa Ntl Forest says repair to the washout WILL happen, hopefully by summer, as this is a ntl forest road route.
Old 109 will take some major re-work for groomers to get thru....., ..lots of trees down, water holes and lowland twistys
And yep .....it would be great if they kept the re-route open when all work is done.

That is good if they can get it fixed by next year I just don’t have a lot of confidence in federal government when it comes to things like this road. They just decided to leave a bridge out on fr 1100 just north of Kenton about 8 to 10 years ago and don’t have plans on ever replacing it which killed a real nice short. So I just hope they come through and fix it.
PD I was thinking the same thing if they can keep both trails open it really would open up a nice loop, but still need Baraga club to get there stuff together and fix that short part of of trail 109.

old abe

Agree X2

And yes PD, the Alston bar is a dump, now, just as the Mosquito was some years back, or maybe worse. I feel as others do also, that the stretch of trail 109 from the powerline turn around to Alston deserves to be greatly improved as to maintaining/grooming. And it could be. Deeming the trail useless is not the way to keep what trails we do have open. That is hard enough by it's self. Too many people now days wish all trails would be closed, don't give them any help.

bonnevier

Easiest solution is that the Superior club continues down grooming and does not turn around.
No sense in having a trail that you can go halfway and then need to turn around...pretty dumb.

old abe

Easiest solution is that the Superior club continues down grooming and does not turn around.
No sense in having a trail that you can go halfway and then need to turn around...pretty dumb.

Yes, somewhat? But it is the case on many, many, trails, in many, many areas. Probably more so being this way in the lessor populated areas, such as the U.P., Minn., etc.

Attak man

Agree X2

And yes PD, the Alston bar is a dump, now, just as the Mosquito was some years back, or maybe worse. I feel as others do also, that the stretch of trail 109 from the powerline turn around to Alston deserves to be greatly improved as to maintaining/grooming. And it could be. Deeming the trail useless is not the way to keep what trails we do have open. That is hard enough by it's self. Too many people now days wish all trails would be closed, don't give them any help.

Hey now...I like that bar...always had a good time there (Granted...it's been a few years since Ive been there)...the problem is volunteers in that area...I know one of the land owners on the Alston end..the trail goes right through his land...and frankly..he and the other guys are getting older, and they were the only ones brushing that area...they get little help....the washout stuff is tough, especially when the state is involved..be a shame to lose that beautiful trail...hope they get it straightened out.

old abe

Hey now...I like that bar...always had a good time there (Granted...it's been a few years since Ive been there)...the problem is volunteers in that area...I know one of the land owners on the Alston end..the trail goes right through his land...and frankly..he and the other guys are getting older, and they were the only ones brushing that area...they get little help....the washout stuff is tough, especially when the state is involved..be a shame to lose that beautiful trail...hope they get it straightened out.

Good info Attak man! Perhaps now the issue can be addressed, and move on it to improve the trail. Thanks!

D

Deleted member 10829

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! This makes total sense as Baraga can't park a groomer out there just for that section or travel the road that far either. Better off closing the trail up in Twin Lakes if it can't be groomed. You hear too many horror stories, especially for guys with their wives or newbies.

I've always like the Alston bar also!

goofy600

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! This makes total sense as Baraga can't park a groomer out there just for that section or travel the road that far either. Better off closing the trail up in Twin Lakes if it can't be groomed. You hear too many horror stories, especially for guys with their wives or newbies.

I've always like the Alston bar also!

Mark you are very involved with a club so you may be able to answer this. How hard would it be for another club to take over part of the trail? Would it be as simple the two clubs agreeing or does DNR and state have to get involved?