Vilas goodness!

snobuilder

The Kinball is an awesome run. Every time I was on it, I always it, I always talked ":Star Wars," as in "I can run the Kimball in 4 parsects." lol
I keep hearing the term "the Kimball". Would that be the trail in far west Forest co. that basicaly runs north from Hiles to the Alvin/Nelma area?

Hoosier

16 years living there I rode thru ER once lol. Another time on a trail going north of ER a rental trackside 2up veered violently towards me I ended up in the pickers to avoid a collision. Last thing I saw was the whites of their eyes before I left the trail. They knew they ran me off the trail but never came back to check on me pissed me off!😡 I took the same route you took stayed north thru Lando and when going south took the Kimball to 3 lakes and U turned back to Phelps to avoid traffic.

Yeah you need to watch out for those packs of Trackside rentals about 15 miles in each direction from there.

Our group loves Sugar Camp, Three Lake and St Germain area. All of these clubs do an excellent job. We did 3 Lakes through Alvin, to Brule River Tap a couple times and it was amazing with almost no traffic. I assume that is what you mean by the Kimball trail, correct?

wiscrev

Our group loves Sugar Camp, Three Lake and St Germain area. All of these clubs do an excellent job. We did 3 Lakes through Alvin, to Brule River Tap a couple times and it was amazing with almost no traffic. I assume that is what you mean by the Kimball trail, correct?
Yes! It seems most traffic loves ER/St Germain west and north. Hardly any traffic straight east of ER. The problem is getting thru ER. Trail 70 is closed on the Bo-Boen [St Germain] side. If I want to go to/thru ER from St Germain, I usually take the north route that comes out between ER and Conover and then try to snake my way east without going thru downtown [a little tricky but can be done]. It's not necessarily Sno-Eagles fault for terrible trails at times in ER, it's that they just have a horrendous amount of traffic------------------with many newbees on rentals. And I never run on the weekends or holidays. Best time to run this year is now! Trails have been really good all over and little to no traffic, but with 40's coming it will prob go fast.

Last edited:

whitedust

Yes that’s the Kimball Creek Trail basically a bit south of RT 70 all the way to Big Stone Lake. Brule / 3 lakes groom all the way to Alivin and pick up where Phelps stops. If up that way the Habit has food and gas and it’s Snowmobiler friendly.

wiscrev

Yes that’s the Kimball Creek Trail basically a bit south of RT 70 all the way to Big Stone Lake. Brule / 3 lakes groom all the way to Alivin and pick up where Phelps stops. If up that way the Habit has food and gas and it’s Snowmobiler friendly.

Hey, Pete, isn't most of that an old narrow gauge RR that was built to haul lumber? At least that's what I heard. It is also my favorite.

whitedust

Hey, Pete, isn't most of that an old narrow gauge RR that was built to haul lumber? At least that's what I heard. It is also my favorite.
Idk if was an old lumber grade? Kimball does have some straight aways that beg to be hammered but also rolls and twists too. No evidence imo of a raised grade bed. I did find an abandoned lumber grade trail north east of Spectacle Lake during an off trail ride. It could have easily been made into a snowmobile trail by removing a few trees. That was no doubt a grade raised way above the level of surrounding land and I know all that area was clear cut between 1900 and 1930.