warmest mitten for girlfriend/wife

alwaysright

needless to say she constantly has cold hands. Tried new mittens which work for a while. thin gloves inside mitten, rotating mittens every half day (works the best). but she is due for a new pair, I'm looking for the warmest mitten $50-$60. I've had luck with cabela's glove but I'm not nearly as temp sensative.

alwaysright

girlfriend so I'm still trying to impress her a bit, hahaha.

I saw the klim allure but at $90, I'm looking for a cheeper option.

catalac

I tell ya. My hands have been alot more sensitive the last few years, so I've been useing gauntlets on my bars. Look kinda goofy, but alot warmer for sure.

Needless to say, he would'nt be as concerned if it was his wife.lol.

Last edited:

jd

Administrator
Staff member
X2 on the gauntlets. I use them on my ATV for plowing in the winter. The bars are not heated and all I need to wear is a thin pair of gloves, like mechanics gloves, and my hands stay warm, even in the coldest of conditions.

If her hands still get cold with heated bars and gauntlets, then she is trying to tell you she does not want to ride!

-John

polarisrider1

X2 on the gauntlets. I use them on my ATV for plowing in the winter. The bars are not heated and all I need to wear is a thin pair of gloves, like mechanics gloves, and my hands stay warm, even in the coldest of conditions.

If her hands still get cold with heated bars and gauntlets, then she is trying to tell you she does not want to ride!

-John

Agree on the "Maybe she don't want to ride part". So I leave mama home and she couldn't be happier!

Remember they speak an entirly different language than us. She will also want your screen name "alwaysright" (in time).

Last edited:
You could try some of those "hot hands" hand warmer packets to put inside the glove. Then just change them out when they stop working.

LoveMyDobe

Yes, buy the guantlets, aka "elephant ears" whatever you want to call them..Works 4 me! Wish I would have know about them 13 years ago when we took off riding at 30 below,( hey we came north from IA, didn't know any better), somehow my handwarmers got clicked off(my mistake) froze my fingers off, found a resort open to warm up( it was New Years Day, they opened for us). If her hands are they only thing getting cold than you/she are doing it right! With the "quantlets or e ears", you can wear those cheap stretchy gloves from the Dollar Store and I find it is easier to find the controls for headlights etc. I love it, plus they make you look like a "Yuppie", which I am NOT!
Oh but another ? She is not riding behind you on a 2 up? That's a whole different situation. We also have a Polaris IQ Cruiser Turbo (2 up) and the handwarmers on the back SUCK! Plus riding on the back is a whole different subject. Unless you need a DDR!! THINK SNOW!! I really hate the fall weather as it is a tease 4 winter. Last weekend at Lakewoods Resort in Cable they had 3 inches of "white gold" on the course! Gone now, been around 70's here! Mother ""FF"" Nature is teasing us!

Last edited:

scott_l

I agree with samc about the skinz hand guards.......I have the pro series but usually only use them on the really cold days......I have a crossfire that has no padding on the bars (on top of the steering post like a lot of the other models) so I had to do a little "engineering" so the strap will tighten down on the handle bar. AKA purchase them now so you can play with the "mounting" before that morning when you really need/want them.

alwaysright

Thanks everyone, I didn't even think of the gauntletes. I think I've got 2 pair of them laying around the garage. The only real issue was last year on the RR grade out in Bergland to Sidnaw, I think it was about -15 or -20 that morning. I'll strap on the gauntlets and she can use her old mittens or glove liners, those gauntlets do the trick, been 10-15 years since I last used them.

Last edited:

tyeeman

Can you find a hand warmer heating element with higher heat density? Man my 90 Polaris Indy and my XLT had nuclear hand warmers. Not sure what changed lately.

alwaysright

maybe but the issue was with the back of her hands due to cold air and high speed RR grade riding, the gauntlets will work perfect.

anonomoose

There are 3 issues to cold hands.

A) moisture
b) circulation
c) wind penetration

At the turn of the 19th century, women wore Muffs...which were open on both ends and the hands could "hide" inside yet be free to grasp one hand with the other and keeping circulation going without getting a moisture build up.

Every boy scout knows that to stay warm at night you strip down to your skin as much as possible in the sleeping bag and you will be far warmer than if you sleep in your clothes.

So if she is NOT driving and doesn't have to hang on, the muff will work the best. If she has to hang on, which is likely then you have to move to something else that will accomplish this same task of keeping the wind off (gauntlets) but does not let moisture build up. Polly gloves won't absorb body moisture but still will do an effective job at keeping her hands warm inside covering that keeps the wind off her hands. The circulation issue is another potential problem that needs to be watched closely. Gloves that fit too tightly will cut off circulation and she is going to get cold hands no matter what. So be sure that the gloves don't fit too tightly or you will find it will contribute to cold hands or feet. And if she is "hanging on for dear life" and griping the bar tightly she is cutting off the circulation herself. Teach her how to remove one hand at a time so she can get blood moving thru the other hand and visa versa.

One last thing...our bodies are designed to pull heat out of the extremities when our core bodies get cooled....it is very important that she is adequately protected over her core body areas or her hands and feet can get cold. keep the core warm and the extremities are free to retain heat.

This is more science than it is a pile on the clothing thing. Chemical packets that heat up in gloves can work well for many hours of fun too. Keep her dry and free to circulate and keep her core warm and she will reward you at night! It is no fun getting cold hands or feet while riding and it gets old quickly.

hemi_newman

Im going to admit it and my hands freeze to...my hand warmers do not work that great...I have a pair of Arctiva gloves...money is tight for me so i cant just go blow money on gloves and try them to see if they work...I have hand guards they help a bit but not enough

ezra

the cute ones? I am told it is better to look good than feel .that is till the ride gets to long then the story changes to why do u insist on making this a endurance test why cant we just go on a nice ride through the woods and go back to the cabin like normal people.
I try to tell her the people I know ride 8 10 17 hrs a day if we can 4 is just a warm up.
I think her ideal ride is stopping at the store getting a new outfit then going from the cabin to the bat eat lunch back to the cabin and into the hot tub to surf face book to post picks of the new outfit and the pose in fr of the sled at a trail stop.